43 replies to this topic

#21 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 03:31 AM

I like the Anderson trade for both teams. Seems like such a typical Billy Beane type move too.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 11 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

I like the Anderson trade for both teams. Seems like such a typical Billy Beane type move too.

This is what the Mets thought they were getting when they hired Alderson.  The big difference is Beane's circumstances aren't always ideal and he knows it, but he never seems to give up.  I think Alderson has. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:43 AM

Rangers signed Choo for 7 years, $130M.

I like Choo, but that's putting too much weight into one season of data. Expand the sample size to 2011 instead of just focusing on 2013 and he's been much closer to a +3 win player than the +5 win player he was in 2013. Steamer reflects this and is quite down on him, projecting him for just +2.4 WAR in Texas next season. For comparison, by the same projection system, David Murphy is projected to produce just as much for the Indians next year (+2.4 WAR) as Choo is for the Rangers. David Murphy signed for 2 years, $12M. It's not just Steamer, either: ZiPS has him at +3.1 WAR in 2014 as a Ranger. 

You don't have to take projection systems as gospel (I'd at least take the over on Choo's Steamer projection), but it's interesting and fun to look at. That contract could turn out crazy bad. 

Edited by nmigliore, 22 December 2013 - 09:59 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

2011 really sticks out as being meh, as far as Choo's last six seasons go, but in the other five seasons, he hit and got on base.  I think if he hits in the .280s and gets on base at a .390 clip, the Rangers will take it, but 7 years/$130 million seems like an awful lot for Choo...his putting up a career-high in OB% this past season (by a lot) probably inflated the contract. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,721 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

lol I thought he'd be doing well to get $100 million let alone $130.  God, it's like monopoly money in baseball.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#26 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

That may be a lot of money for Choo and I know he has crazy platoon splits and some red flags that cause doubt over how he will fare over the length of the deal but I still think it's a solid deal for the Rangers. Talk about wanting to add power to the line up, Texas adds Fielder and Choo in the same offseason.

I'm always a bit biased towards the high OBP guys that have some pop though. Maybe that's why I think it's a decent deal.

Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#27 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 05:11 PM

Is there a more out-of-touch douchenozzle than Ken Gurnick?

http://espn.go.com/m...-hall-selection

Someone should tell this complete ASSCLOWN that Maddux was the posterboy for a guy who that showed you don't have to be chiseled or gifted with a power pitcher's physique or arm to succeed.  This guy got everything out of his ability and smarts.  The only knock on him is a meh playoff record and a lack of a Jack Morris "You're Going To Have to Rip the Ball from My Fingers to Get Me Off the Mound" mentality, but the guy should be a friggin' no-brainer to get in.  It's not even a debate.

#30 FOREVER!

#28 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,896 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 06:08 PM

Is there a more out-of-touch douchenozzle than Ken Gurnick?

http://espn.go.com/m...-hall-selection

Someone should tell this complete ASSCLOWN that Maddux was the posterboy for a guy who that showed you don't have to be chiseled or gifted with a power pitcher's physique or arm to succeed. This guy got everything out of his ability and smarts. The only knock on him is a meh playoff record and a lack of a Jack Morris "You're Going To Have to Rip the Ball from My Fingers to Get Me Off the Mound" mentality, but the guy should be a friggin' no-brainer to get in. It's not even a debate.

Yeah this is pretty ridiculous. I can at least understand those guys that as a matter of course will not allow someone to be voted in unanimously for tradition sake. But at some point you have to let the steroids thing go,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#29 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

I mean, I can't understand how you can send a ballot in like that and try and act like you're sole purpose isn't to get attention. There is no other logical explanation. It's not even a steroids thing, because if anything, the steroid era should HELP a guy like Maddux (not that he needs it, but you get the point). 

Unrelated to this moron, one of my biggest pet peeves with Hall of Fame voting (besides the convoluted pool of BBWAA members who have a vote, anyway): the 10 player limit needs to go. There are more than 10 deserving candidates on this list, and that isn't going to change in the near future. In the meantime, at least dump the 5% minimum to stay on future ballots.

Seems like Piazza won't be going in again this year, barring a shocker. That's a shame, but he isn't the only one getting screwed, and he will go in eventually. 

Edited by nmigliore, 07 January 2014 - 07:32 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 07 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

Well, this jerkoff got attention alright.  There's not a single post I've seen that agrees with what this guy did.  I'm glad people are blasting this zilch.  What an a$$hole.

#30 FOREVER!

#31 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:01 PM

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas going into the Hall of Fame as 2014 inductees. Biggio literally JUST missed at 74.8% vote, wow. 

More interested in the percentages of the others.

Edit: Piazza went up a bit (I expected better, though), Bonds and Clemens went down. Armando Benitez (!!!!) got a vote. Jesus. 

Edited by nmigliore, 08 January 2014 - 02:06 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#32 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,179 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:22 PM

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas going into the Hall of Fame as 2014 inductees. Biggio literally JUST missed at 74.8% vote, wow. 

More interested in the percentages of the others.

Edit: Piazza went up a bit (I expected better, though), Bonds and Clemens went down. Armando Benitez (!!!!) got a vote. Jesus. 

The HOF voting process is such a fvcking mess, and so many voters are such idiots that it is hard to take this seriously.

From blank ballots, to random players getting votes, to HOF talents getting blacklisted due to speculation...I can't even get worked up about it.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#33 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

The HOF voting process is such a fvcking mess, and so many voters are such idiots that it is hard to take this seriously.

From blank ballots, to random players getting votes, to HOF talents getting blacklisted due to speculation...I can't even get worked up about it.

Agreed, it's easy to become apathetic towards it. 

I think Jonah Keri had a pretty good and simple list of how to fix the Hall voting here. I would also throw in publicized ballots so that the morons who treat this like a mockery -- like the folks who voted for Benitez, Jacque Jones, etc. or didn't vote Maddux -- are exposed. 

The 10 player limit is damning when you have a ballot like this. Multiple writers are coming out saying Biggio was their "#11" and would have been voted for had the stupid limit not have been in place. Feel sorry for him and all the others who are getting screwed like that.

Here is the full list of players and their votes, for whomever is interested: http://espn.go.com/b...glavine-elected

Edited by nmigliore, 08 January 2014 - 02:48 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#34 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 02:43 PM

The MLB BBWAA is absolutely a joke.  Congrats to Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux though.  But thank god Jack Morris didn't make it.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#35 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:25 PM

Good for Maddux (who should have been friggin' UNANIMOUS), Glavine (can't say I loved the Met part of his career), and Thomas (guy was just a beast at the plate).  Jack Morris was a true bulldog who always wanted to go nine, and I appreciate that about him, but for all the arguments that have been made in his favor, I still couldn't see him as a Hall-Of-Famer. 

Looks like a lot of voters suspect Piazza of 'roid use.  That's the only reason a guy who put up incredible offensive numbers as a catcher isn't in yet. 

#30 FOREVER!

#36 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,520 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

The MLB BBWAA is absolutely a joke.  Congrats to Frank Thomas, Tom Glavine, and Greg Maddux though.  But thank god Jack Morris didn't make it.

I would put Jack morris in way before Biggio !!!  & Biggio will get in next year its a joke... He's a very good player who compiled very good numbers, but he was NEVER a top player in the game... hell he only hit 300 like 4 times!!!  he better not get in...  Its bad enough Spit ballers are welcome in but steriod users are considered cheats and not allowed in... I donot get it.

And there was a  span where Jack Moriis was the best pitcher in the American league, 3 maybe 4 years...

Good for Maddux (who should have been friggin' UNANIMOUS),

It took Joe D 3 tries to get in, if Joe D is not a first ballot HOFer, then no one who gets in on the 1st try should ever complain!!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#37 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 01:28 PM

Garza going to the Brewers, 4/52 per Ken Rosenthal. I'd expect Ervin Santana and Ubaldo Jimenez to sign fairly soon too. Tanaka was the big domino that needed to fall for the free agent pitching market to get into gear.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#38 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,333 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Garza going to the Brewers, 4/52 per Ken Rosenthal. I'd expect Ervin Santana and Ubaldo Jimenez to sign fairly soon too. Tanaka was the big domino that needed to fall for the free agent pitching market to get into gear.

Santana and Jimenez can't be happy about Garza getting that contract when he had no draft pick attached to him.

#39 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Dave Cameron offers up a reasonable fix to the broken Qualifying Offer system that is currently in place: http://www.fangraphs...g-offer-system/

It basically involves: eliminating the 7-day acceptance/decline window for those receiving the offer and giving teams a chance to revoke the QO at any time; allowing any free agent to be offered a QO (thus removing the trade deadline rule), which helps replace the marginal/decent players who would no longer receive a QO, with players who were traded at the deadline (think Matt Garza, Ricky Nolasco, Zack Greinke). 

I'm a fan of it. It's a big help to a player's market so that we don't get stuck with a handful of decent players looking for jobs in February and March. The league gets too keeps its tax on player salaries. Teams get to benefit from good quality trade deadline players becoming more valuable, since they can be offered a QO at season's end by the acquiring team. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#40 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,222 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Jimenez going to the Orioles for something in the neighborhood of 4/48, pending a physical, per Ken Rosenthal.

I like it, solid move. They needed to make a move like this after a disappointly quiet offseason.

I think Ervin Santana will get something very similar. Toronto could be a fit.

Edited by nmigliore, 17 February 2014 - 08:17 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users