43 replies to this topic

#41 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Jimenez going to the Orioles for something in the neighborhood of 4/48, pending a physical, per Ken Rosenthal.

I like it, solid move. They needed to make a move like this after a disappointly quiet offseason.

The O's signed that Korean guy, too. They really needed to do something with that rotation. They're gonna be dangerous if Tillman can put up the numbers he did last year and the signings work out. I'm pretty disappointed about McLouth.

Edited by thecoffeecake, 19 February 2014 - 08:08 PM.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#42 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

The O's signed that Korean guy, too. They really needed to do something with that rotation. They're gonna be dangerous if Tillman can put up the numbers he did last year and the signings work out. I'm pretty disappointed about McLouth.

Yeah I thought that was a very solid gamble; costs next to nothing, his upside may not be great but what's there to lose? Even with Jimenez the rotation isn't great overall but there's enough arms to hold down the fort and plenty of reinforcements on the way -- Kevin Gausman, Eduardo Rodriguez, and Mike Wright are just a few names that could have an impact at some point in 2014, maybe even Bundy if his rehab goes swell (particularly Gausman, who I think forces his way into the rotation by June, if not earlier). 

I don't know if he'll start, and he doesn't have much of a track record, but David Lough hit pretty respectably and played superb defense with the Royals last season. I could see him being a nifty player in the McLouth mold. 

I don't buy that their offseason is over, though. Cruz is a logical fit as someone who can split at bats between LF and DH, as is Morales as a pure DH. These guys have to land somewhere, and while Cruz might be a better bet to end up in Seattle, I'm not sure Morales will have any other place to go besides Baltimore. Neither player will move the needle that much for the O's, but every little upgrade can go a long way given their status as fringe contenders.

---

May as well just throw these interesting links into this post:

Jonah Keri of Grantland has some early power rankings out with a brief take on each team's doings and what they are facing in 2014. 

Baseball America also unveiled their Top 100 prospects for 2014. 

The Phillies being dickbags and turning in two drafted college players they did not sign for having agents, thus getting one of them suspended indefinitely.

It's not just the Phillies to blame for being poor sports but also the ridiculous NCAA rule prohibiting players to have agents despite the fact so many of them do and it's commonly acknowledged and accepted.

Edited by nmigliore, 19 February 2014 - 11:34 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#43 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

I don't buy that their offseason is over, though. Cruz is a logical fit as someone who can split at bats between LF and DH...

And a few days later..... O's sign Nelson Cruz, 1 year, $8 million plus incentives. Sounds like he'll primarily DH, which is probably the most optimal fit. 

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#44 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,148 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:42 PM

MLBAM is unveiling some incredible tracking data, it's all over Twitter right now. 

Some sweet visuals:

Edited by nmigliore, 01 March 2014 - 12:50 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users