281 replies to this topic

#241 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

I hated it at the time, and my first reaction was to call it the Devils Kyle Brady moment.  (Was wrapped up in the fact that Nishushkin had fallen so far).  But yeah, looks like I was dead wrong, even though having watched some of the Rags/Stars game last night, Nishuskin looks like a beast already. 

How could you have hated that deal?  Devils needed a very good young goalie in the worst way.  They got one in Schneider.  (Also spoke volumes of what Lou thought of both Wedge and Kinkaid.) 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#242 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:46 AM

All I'd like to say is wow, terrible calls all around last night. Terrible game. We won and I'll take it though.

That and Big Z really needs to feel the banhammer. Pure troll and the worst...poster...ever.

How could you have hated that deal?  Devils needed a very good young goalie in the worst way.  They got one in Schneider.  (Also spoke volumes of what Lou thought of both Wedge and Kinkaid.) 

I wasn't too huge on it at first either because a half decent stop gap wouldn't have been impossible to find(Bryz) and we are desperately lacking in high end forward prospects.

Edited by ATLL765, 22 November 2013 - 11:47 AM.

#243 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

I hated it at the time, and my first reaction was to call it the Devils Kyle Brady moment.  (Was wrapped up in the fact that Nishushkin had fallen so far).  But yeah, looks like I was dead wrong, even though having watched some of the Rags/Stars game last night, Nishuskin looks like a beast already

yeah he had a good game, and looks like he'd fit our system well. but we absolutely needed cory there. no regrets!

#244 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:00 PM

The Devils also needed (and still need) young forwards in the worst way.  Lou even admitted it before the draft.  A lot of people said that Nishushkin was the type of player that could go number 1 in a lot of drafts.  I was pumped when Buffalo passed on him. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#245 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:01 PM

Stay classy, Kings fans. Bandwagon pricks...

5TmcDqF.png

Edited by Legion15, 22 November 2013 - 12:14 PM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#246 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:13 PM

Just got home from the game...couple of observations:

1. Staples Center (as expected) is phenomenal...feels like a massive mall/food court with tons of food/beer/drink options and a sick ass sound and lighting system and video board. Top notch facility...no surprise because the Lakers/Kings/Clippers all call it home

2. Fans...I had heard LA fans were wishy washy, come late, get decked out and leave early kinda crowd...NOT TRUE FOR KINGS FANS...these people were parked in their seats 10 minutes before the puck dropped, place was packed to the gills, sold out, and this was the LOUDEST ARENA I have ever been in...the fans were very, very loud and the music and sounds were very, very loud. These Kings fans are super serious. No bullsh!t like the rest of LA fans. The arena/fans were literally 10-12 times louder than any regular season Devils game I have ever been to...probably twice as loud as the last Stanley Cup run.

3. Hockey-wise...we lucked out big time pulling this game out. To get outshot like that and even be in the game going into overtime was a miracle in and of itself. This team owes Schneider a massive trip to a stripclub and bottle service with many HJs and BJs coming his way. The kid was nothing short of miraculous and we didn't do a whole lot to bail him out.
-Gelinas--that kids shot is serious, especially up close
-Jagr--great hands, very slow side to side but has something left, obviously
-Schneider--cool, calm and steady
-Gio/Bernier/Carter--game puck goes to that line because they brought the heat when everyone else was struggling all night long...this win is thanks to them/Schneider/Jagr's game winner.

Also, Kopitar is a beast. This dude is the real deal. He is quick end to end and he is very dangerous with the puck on his stick.

Another also...and this is LA vs. NJ in general so it comes with the turf...their "Ice Girls" are like Victoria's Secret models and our "Ice Girls" are like the Lunch Ladies at William Paterson. No contest.

WOW. What a game. Can't wait to get back to Staples Center to see more hockey because these Kings fans are serious about their hockey.

Here's an idea; get yourself season tickets and a Dustin brown Jersey. I'm guessing this was a joke.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#247 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:19 PM

The Devils also needed (and still need) young forwards in the worst way. Lou even admitted it before the draft. A lot of people said that Nishushkin was the type of player that could go number 1 in a lot of drafts. I was pumped when Buffalo passed on him.

put it this way: In Schneider we drafted the best player of that draft. Maybe jones or mackinnon turn out all star careers but we know Cory is all star caliber now.

Edited by dmann422, 22 November 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#248 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:30 PM

Here's an idea; get yourself season tickets and a Dustin brown Jersey. I'm guessing this was a joke.

Seriously. There's no way that place was louder last night then our building during the 2012 playoffs.

#249 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:31 PM

5TmcDqF.png

probably just mad she spent all that money for that seat to see her team lose in the end.. welp too bad
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#250 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,825 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:41 PM

Just got home from the game...couple of observations:

1. Staples Center (as expected) is phenomenal...feels like a massive mall/food court with tons of food/beer/drink options and a sick ass sound and lighting system and video board. Top notch facility...no surprise because the Lakers/Kings/Clippers all call it home

2. Fans...I had heard LA fans were wishy washy, come late, get decked out and leave early kinda crowd...NOT TRUE FOR KINGS FANS...these people were parked in their seats 10 minutes before the puck dropped, place was packed to the gills, sold out, and this was the LOUDEST ARENA I have ever been in...the fans were very, very loud and the music and sounds were very, very loud.  These Kings fans are super serious.  No bullsh!t like the rest of LA fans.  The arena/fans were literally 10-12 times louder than any regular season Devils game I have ever been to...probably twice as loud as the last Stanley Cup run.

3. Hockey-wise...we lucked out big time pulling this game out.  To get outshot like that and even be in the game going into overtime was a miracle in and of itself.  This team owes Schneider a massive trip to a stripclub and bottle service with many HJs and BJs coming his way.  The kid was nothing short of miraculous and we didn't do a whole lot to bail him out.

-Gelinas--that kids shot is serious, especially up close

-Jagr--great hands, very slow side to side but has something left, obviously

-Schneider--cool, calm and steady

-Gio/Bernier/Carter--game puck goes to that line because they brought the heat when everyone else was struggling all night long...this win is thanks to them/Schneider/Jagr's game winner.

Also, Kopitar is a beast.  This dude is the real deal. He is quick end to end and he is very dangerous with the puck on his stick.

Another also...and this is LA vs. NJ in general so it comes with the turf...their "Ice Girls" are like Victoria's Secret models and our "Ice Girls" are like the Lunch Ladies at William Paterson.  No contest.

WOW. What a game.  Can't wait to get back to Staples Center to see more hockey because these Kings fans are serious about their hockey.

Thanks for the write up. I agree with most of what you wrote... leave out the BJs and strip club stiff next time.. it detracts away from the seriousness of your excellent observations

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#251 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,870 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

eh, I wouldn't call their Ice Girls Victoria's Secret Models... I'm really neutral about cheerleaders at hockey games anyway. If they give you jollies watching them, great, but even at football games most people don't care about the cheerleaders. And nobody care much for the Kings after the Gretzky years until they actually got deep into the playoffs a couple years ago. Once they got to the finals and then won a cup suddenly everyone in LA is a Kings fan.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#252 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:52 PM

put it this way: In Schneider we drafted the best player of that draft. Maybe jones or mackinnon turn out all star careers but we know Cory is all star caliber now.

Like I said, I'm only saying how I felt about it at the time.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#253 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Darryl Sutter said the Devils had the best goaltending in the league

www.SterioDesign.com

#254 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

To me that deal will be sealed a good deal once Cory sign a contract extension though.

Cause other than that you're comparing a potential young (but developing) good player "locked" for at least 7 years and possibly more (and cheap for most of those years) for a 2 years rental in his prime who would have been only "necessary" in his 2nd year (cause Brodeur can still holds his own so far)

www.SterioDesign.com

#255 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,039 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:01 PM

I hate that people call certain fanbases bandwagon or what not. The Kings have had no issues getting people to their arena for years. And it was at 100% capacity for a few seasons before they won the Cup. They have many educated and passionate fans. 

But teams like Chicago or Washington...people go "look at all them bandwagoners, there were no fans in the arena 8 years ago when they sucked." That's normal, especially when you have a lot of other options in your city. If your team is awful for 3 years, 5 years..maybe even longer, why would you want to spend a fortune on season tickets? And naturally when your team is awful, you lose a bit of interest, and it moves to the NBA team, NFL, MLB, College, etc. 

I think at CR1976 taking his daughter to two games and seeing them shutout in each one. How deflating is that? Could he keep going if he knew there was a good chance that would happen 50% of the time?  If you know your team is ripe for a last place finish, why pay a ton of money then? Why support an owner who has no interest in improving the team (which seemed like the case with the Hawks owner, and many other times when an Owner doesn't fire a sh!tty GM)?

The Devils had one miserable 40-game stretch, and there were free ticket promotions every second game. It won't be pretty here if the Devils have any sustained losing seasons.

Edited by devilsrule33, 22 November 2013 - 01:03 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#256 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,784 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

I hate that people call certain fanbases bandwagon or what not. The Kings have had no issues getting people to their arena for years. And it was at 100% capacity for a few seasons before they won the Cup. They have many educated and passionate fans. 

But teams like Chicago or Washington...people go "look at all them bandwagoners, there were no fans in the arena 8 years ago when they sucked." That's normal, especially when you have a lot of other options in your city. If your team is awful for 3 years, 5 years..maybe even longer, why would you want to spend a fortune on season tickets? And naturally when your team is awful, you lose a bit of interest, and it moves to the NBA team, NFL, MLB, College, etc. 

I think at CR1976 taking his daughter to two games and seeing them shutout in each one. How deflating is that? Could he keep going if he knew there was a good chance that would happen 50% of the time?  If you know your team is ripe for a last place finish, why pay a ton of money then? Why support an owner who has no interest in improving the team (which seemed like the case with the Hawks owner, and many other times when an Owner doesn't fire a sh!tty GM)?

The Devils had one miserable 40-game stretch, and there were free ticket promotions every second game. It won't be pretty here if the Devils have any sustained losing seasons.

yeah i gotta agree with this. This plus people who go the "Well why dont you go buy a "wtv" team jersey and get the fvck out of here" when someone simply gives credit to another team, player, GM, coach or wtv in the league, i've seen it happen really often and its quite childish and ridiculous. 

www.SterioDesign.com

#257 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:08 PM

5TmcDqF.png

probably just mad she spent all that money for that seat to see her team lose in the end.. welp too bad

LOL I saw that this morning watching the replay.....BUT she got pissed at Dave Barr, after Jagr scored in OT and the Devils were leaving the bench/ice Dave Barr turned around and either pointed or waved to that girl, and she flipped him the bird in return !

#258 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

We didnt deserve to win last night... but for all the time we deserve a W and get nothing... Im happy with it

Schneider was awesome

#259 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:33 PM

A lot more maddening than deflating, but that first goal that she gets to see this year live will be pretty damned momentous now, lol.

I think part of the problem for a lot of people now is that the tickets and other goodies (like food, drink, maybe a souv-ie or two) cost so damned much, that many people want to feel like their "investment" has a good chance of paying off with a win, and the only way that really has a good shot of happening is if the team is good.  I'm one of those kooks who will still go with my daughter if the team is bad, because it's great to spend time with her, and share something I enjoy with her, and admittedly, I can swing tickets for the game without feeling the financial pinch.  But a lot of people can't do that and can't be as "frivilous", or simply have more kids which makes going to a game that much more expensive, and I can't blame them one bit if they don't want to spend hundreds of dollars watching a substandard product.  Even though I would still go, I'll readily admit I won't go as much.

yeah i gotta agree with this. This plus people who go the "Well why dont you go buy a "wtv" team jersey and get the fvck out of here" when someone simply gives credit to another team, player, GM, coach or wtv in the league, i've seen it happen really often and its quite childish and ridiculous. 

So is beating the same dead horses over and over again and constantly making snide remarks about how swell other GMs are for signing a guy before he goes UFA, seemingly every time another GM did that.  To your credit, you haven't been doing it lately (I suspect the Devils going 6-1-1 in their last eight has something to do with that), but it was getting to be repetitive and ridiculous, and I was hardly the only one annoyed by it.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#260 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

I shared Daniel's sentiments about the Schneider trade, but that's because I was prepared to take Nichushkin who fell all the way to #10. I also didn't realize that CS was an elite goalie. I knew he was good, but after looking at his numbers and watching him play, it will be tough for Nichushkin to be as valuable as Schneider.

Your post is spot on DR33. Of course, Schneider isnt signed past 2015 but I think they'll give him what he wants. Schneider is basically the one piece we have who will guarantee we won't be a bottom 5 team in the future.  Seriously, the guy is that freaking good. Even if the team around him is lousy, he'll keep us in it more often than not. After watching him play a bit, I can't believe we got him for a first round pick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users