174 replies to this topic

#121 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:23 PM

Not to answer for DM84 here, but the same authority that allows you to make that very statement.

If I take a shot of Jameson and down a PBR can right before the opening faceoff of every away game for two years (41 games), conventional societal standards would label that a "gameday tradition".

Whether you like the "You suck!" chant or not, ask anyone on the street if they consider something that's been done for 6-7+ (definitely more) years after every goal at every home game of every season during that time whether that's a "tradition" or not. There's no word to describe a tradition of 5-6 years vs. 30-40 years, but it's a tradition. Saying it's not is just someone speaking from the pulpit.

The "Potvin sucks!" chant at MSG was as much a tradition 4 years into it as it is now. Saying it's not, because you don't like it, is just dumb.

Edited by DJ Eco, 26 November 2013 - 04:24 PM.

#122 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:30 PM

That's what I thought too, but there wasn't any "dance party" at all last night, and people on this Devils group on Facebook are swearing their ticket rep or friend at The Rock said they're not doing it anymore.

Hmmm.  Interesting.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#123 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

With your mindset, you know what, the whole franchise can go to hell, we've only been around since 1982, not a long traditional franchise like the Rangers or anything, right?...

Different strokes for different folks. Anything that happens at every game for more than a year seems like "tradition" territory, as far as I'm concerned. What authority allows you to declare it's not?

So based on your definition you would lump the Diablos (with their friggin vuvuzela playing), Earl's Dance Party, and Devils Dancers as traditions too? 

C'mon you are reaching there and you know it.

Rock n Roll pt 2 without the YS part is a tradition (been around when they were in Colorado).  Baumann chant is a tradition (been there since the beginning when he started it).  Those are traditions.

#124 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

im gonna write a stern letter to the organization complaining about that GD cowbell

who am i kidding no i am not.

can i bring a cowbell to the game, right you're not freddy "sez" so shut it.

Posted Image

#125 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:34 PM

If I take a shot of Jameson and down a PBR can right before the opening faceoff of every away game for two years (41 games), conventional societal standards would label that a "gameday tradition".

Whether you like the "You suck!" chant or not, ask anyone on the street if they consider something that's been done for 6-7+ (definitely more) years after every goal at every home game of every season during that time whether that's a "tradition" or not. There's no word to describe a tradition of 5-6 years vs. 30-40 years, but it's a tradition. Saying it's not is just someone speaking from the pulpit.

The "Potvin sucks!" chant at MSG was as much a tradition 4 years into it as it is now. Saying it's not, because you don't like it, is just dumb.

That would be your personal game day tradition to drink in such a capacity. It's a personal choice by you to call it a tradition. Some may call it just being a drunk or a superstition in the same respect.

Again, the same "authority" that allows you your opinion/thoughts is the same "authority" that allows someone else to do the same.

As DM84 said, it's reaching. 

Edited by TheRedStorm, 26 November 2013 - 05:13 PM.

#126 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,491 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:35 PM

Doing the YS chant in 6-7 years out of 31 in existance when the song they are singing it to that has been around even longer than 31 years with the franchise is not a tradition.  You are looking at at least 25 years of RnR pt2 without the YS chant versus the 6-7 years of YS with it.  I would say without was more of a tradition.

Again by your definition we should include Earl's Dance Party and the Devils Dancers as firm Devils traditions.

#127 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:44 PM

Don't chant YS during the goal song.  Any chant during the goal song should be a positive chant showing actual support for the team.  I really like how they worked "Let's go Devils" into the goal song.

I just never felt it was appropriate to jeer the opposition during our goal song.  Any mocking or jeering should be done AFTER the goal song.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#128 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

So based on your definition you would lump the Diablos (with their friggin vuvuzela playing), Earl's Dance Party, and Devils Dancers as traditions too? 

Rock n Roll pt 2 without the YS part is a tradition (been around when they were in Colorado).  Baumann chant is a tradition (been there since the beginning when he started it).  Those are traditions.

The YS chant was MUCH more wide spread than the vuvuzelas. It seems like anyone outside the diablos hates them, that wasn't exactly the case with the YS chant. Not a fan of the chant either, but I'd say it was borderline tradition. It may have been started 6-7 years ago, but it took a couple years to gain traction.

#129 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:48 PM

08-09 was the first year of the Pru Center with RR2.  That's when the YS chant started becoming popular.  Never once did I notice it at CAA.

Edited by Mike Brown, 26 November 2013 - 04:48 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#130 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Don't confuse a) things that were set in motion (or subsidized in the case of the Diablos) at some Devils marketing/PR meeting with b) things that evolved organically within the arena and the fans. Completely different things.

"Fan Fest", Devils dancers, the Diablos, the high school drumline that came in during the playoffs, etc., are not Devils traditions. 

Like it or not, the YS chant, the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow!" chant, even the whole booing Gary Bettman thing, were all started by Devils fans, with other Devils fans joining in, at Devils games in the Devils' arena. I don't know the back story, but I'd guess Earl's Dance Party started similarly, where the camera must have caught him spontaneously groovin' out and having the time of his life; things took shape after that.

It was fun, the crowd enjoyed it and everyone got into it. There was just absolutely no need to get rid of it, why?... That's all I was saying before you brought up the YS chant and what you think matters and doesn't matter in our arena.

#131 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Don't confuse a) things that were set in motion (or subsidized in the case of the Diablos) at some Devils marketing/PR meeting with b) things that evolved organically within the arena and the fans. Completely different things.

"Fan Fest", Devils dancers, the Diablos, the high school drumline that came in during the playoffs, etc., are not Devils traditions. 

Like it or not, the YS chant, the "Rangers suck, Flyers swallow!" chant, even the whole booing Gary Bettman thing, were all started by Devils fans, with other Devils fans joining in, at Devils games in the Devils' arena. I don't know the back story, but I'd guess Earl's Dance Party started similarly, where the camera must have caught him spontaneously groovin' out and having the time of his life; things took shape after that.

It was fun, the crowd enjoyed it and everyone got into it. There was just absolutely no need to get rid of it, why?... That's all I was saying before you brought up the YS chant and what you think matters and doesn't matter in our arena.

The YS chant wasn't started by Devils fans.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#132 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

the you suck chant lives on too bad if someone here doesnt like it they can cry themselves to sleep I guess.. you can tell from watching at home they try to drown it out on tv but you can clearly hear it is going on.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#133 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

The Diablos were originally an organic group called the Supporters Section. The idea was taken and run with by the Devils who turned it into the Diablos. So it's not something different.

In effect, you're contradicting yourself. You said in another post that "Anything that happens at every game for more than a year seems like "tradition" territory, as far as I'm concerned".  Well, the Dancers and Diablos are "tradition" according to your logic, right? 

#134 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:34 PM

In effect, you're contradicting yourself. You said in another post that "Anything that happens at every game for more than a year seems like "tradition" territory, as far as I'm concerned".  Well, the Dancers and Diablos are "tradition" according to your logic, right? 

Okay, I didn't mean "anything", you caught me, I'm contradicting myself.

The Diablos were originally an organic group called the Supporters Section. The idea was taken and run with by the Devils who turned it into the Diablos. So it's not something different.

It's most certainly not organic now. The tickets were set at $100 for the season, with family-friendly (and new) chants passed to them, and they're announced a few times a game. I mean, I appreciate what they do, but DevsMan84's putting words in my mouth to insinuate that I'd think they're a "tradition". Until 75% of the arena has a vuvuzela in hand for a whole season, I won't consider it a tradition.

Edited by DJ Eco, 26 November 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#135 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:38 PM

Who was it started by?

#136 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:39 PM

Neither was the "rangers suck" chant, Baumann's chant, etc. that goes on at Devils games.  All were ripped off from college sports or other pro teams.  Doesn't make them any less of a Devils "tradition," no matter how you define that term.

The crowd still does the YS chant during the new goal song.  Only difference is, it hasn't fully caught on yet (but it is growing), and the team has tried to drown it out for TV by playing the music so loud your ears bleed while in the arena.  The Let's Go Devils part of the new goal song is as dumb as the "you rock" thing they tried a few years ago.  Nobody does it or pays any attention to it.

Posted Image

#137 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Who was it started by?

A number of colleges had done it prior.  The Devils and Preds were the first NHL fanbases that I can remember doing it, with the Devils fanbase adding sucks at the end of the names being annouced for the starting lineups and scratches of the opposing team dating back to the 90's.  Is that a tradition of ours?  Just wondering.

Posted Image

#138 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,478 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

I think we all realized he meant anything that started organically, as he stated in his post, previous to the sentence you're referring to. This of course means he didn't need to qualify that statement.

If you're gonna argue semantics, at least know you're right.

#139 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:45 PM

A number of colleges had done it prior.  The Devils and Preds were the first NHL fanbases that I can remember doing it, with the Devils fanbase adding sucks at the end of the names being annouced for the starting lineups and scratches of the opposing team dating back to the 90's.  Is that a tradition of ours?  Just wondering.

Preds fans do it too.  "Sucks" after each opposing player name during intros was their's before it was ours.  I'm pretty sure.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#140 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:46 PM

the you suck chant lives on

Yes it's much clearer on the radio. I noticed it right away last night.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users