223 replies to this topic

#201 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Excellent team game but not enough "class" to make the difference 1 v 1.  Teams that win "team efforts" usually have one or two players that can break open the game at some point during the contest.

The Devils have a lot of foot soldiers but not enough snipers.

#202 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:08 AM

In all the years i have been going to games, last night was by ar the most unispiring effort I have seen, what a friggin bore fest!!

No life on the ice , no life inthe building.!!!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#203 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,744 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:31 AM

In all the years i have been going to games, last night was by ar the most unispiring effort I have seen, what a friggin bore fest!!

The team came back from a West Coast trip and had one day off.  I was surprised they looked as good as they did.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#204 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

I agree with Tri there. Again, another reason I wanted Whitney in the lineup. Sometimes guys like that are infectious.

#205 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,782 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

I had no problem with the effort.  We've seen a lot worse on many occasions.

Merrill looked pretty good.  He definitely did not look out of place. 

I really hope Clowe is not completely dead weight whenever he comes back.  This team needs every goal it can scrounge together.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#206 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,962 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:49 AM

I did see Merrill fall into the boards and yeah he made a few plays that were shaky, but clearly the ability is there. Whether he's 'ready' or not I don't know, but I think it's a bit hasty to say he belongs in Albany all year.

He hasn't even had a full year of playing professional hockey under his belt. And it's not like he played a great deal in college. Defense is not a position most young players can be thrown into and expected to succeed. And with our glut of defensemen, theres no need for the kid to be up here looking shaky and falling into boards, wrecking his confidence and body. I would hope Merrill is down in Albany most of the season.

#207 Namelesz

Namelesz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:29 PM

Merrill played OK for only his second real NHL game. I noticed him miss a couple pucks sent back his way that he needed to keep in the zone but they went past him, costing the team some needed attack time. 

In fact I noticed alot of failed passes and the team seemed lead footed most of the game, at least to me. I see others posting or PDBs interview saying that the team played well....I just didn't see it from my seats.

2 big back2back division games coming, I bet we split the games with Carolina...

#208 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:50 PM

For a few years now the jets just always seem to beat us. It feels bad, but I didn't really expect a win. Unfortunetly the same is true for carolina, hopefully we can change our fortunes. This team played hard last night, dont confuse scoring with effort.

#209 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,678 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:58 PM

Um.  The effort wasn't the problem last night.  It was simply their execution.  If you want a true lack of effort, look at the Flyers game.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#210 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,527 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:28 PM

thats the way its been in that building so far this season ..ive only missed two games one earlier in the season and last nights .. but my god i remember specifically that friday night kings game.. what a drag it was like one of the most boring sporting events ive ever been to(professional) the team hasnt been great and the crowd hasnt either.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#211 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:41 PM

It's a team that hasn't been dreadful from a record standpoint, and they score the occasional pretty goal, but in general it's definitely far from being an electrifying team...they can look ugly, old, and slow, all at the same time, and like the least likely NHL team to score a goal.  They're not going to excite much. 

Of course, as long as they win more than they lose, and compete for a playoff berth, they can get away with that. 

The lack of productions by the forwards is frightening...Jagr and Elias are each at .75 points per game (about what can really be expected from either one at best), then no other forward is even close to .5 points per game...hell, no other forward is even at .4 points per game.    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#212 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:55 PM

Lou has some work to do between now and opening day 2014

#213 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:10 PM

mike caammaalllleerrrrii

Posted Image

#214 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

mike caammaalllleerrrrii

The guy hasn't played anything close to a full season since 2008. Not sure I want to sign up for that.

#215 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:29 PM

The guy hasn't played anything close to a full season since 2008. Not sure I want to sign up for that.

mike caammaalllleerrrrii

he'd be alright to have now (cause we cant score goals) but I wouldnt go after him...I think he's past his prime...and we have enough of those types

#216 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:33 PM

Cammalleri will want to sign his last big ticket and it will likely be very costly. Sure you might get 1-2 years of 25+25 out of him if he's healthy but is it worth it if you're stuck with a middling performer on a 5-6 year deal at 5-6 million per?

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#217 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:34 PM

i think he played the half season last year was on pace for 60-70 points

i mean hes what 31, his durability is an issue and wed have to give up too much for what might be short term

but yeah he can rip it and hes a warm body right now

edit: and yeah seller's market and all.

Edited by lazer, 26 November 2013 - 03:35 PM.

Posted Image

#218 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

It's a team that hasn't been dreadful from a record standpoint, and they score the occasional pretty goal, but in general it's definitely far from being an electrifying team...they can look ugly, old, and slow, all at the same time, and like the least likely NHL team to score a goal. They're not going to excite much.

I understand where you coming from with this but I just think it's bad timing posting after last night... If anything we looked like the more offensively dynamic team and were much more aggressive and successful on the forecheck.

You can complain about a lack of finish all you want but the jets are supposed to be one of the faster teams in the league and we outplayed them in every way. They got a soft goal is all.

If we put that effort in every night (and avoid games like the kings and flyers games) we will see more wins.

#219 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:51 PM

i think he played the half season last year was on pace for 60-70 points

i mean hes what 31, his durability is an issue and wed have to give up too much for what might be short term

but yeah he can rip it and hes a warm body right now

edit: and yeah seller's market and all.

He had 32 points in 44 games last year. On track for about 60 points. He's good, but I wouldn't take him for anything more than $5M since at best we'll be getting 70 games out of him each year and man did he look bad in Montreal. If you take away his two 80+ point seasons, it looks more like he's a 50-55 point guy.

#220 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:07 PM

i think devils need clowe back to screen some shots from the outside. create traffic.

on camm, devils need that game breaker; camm maybe not the guy but hes available and lou loves the last name

what he would look like on the devils is hard to say hes played on some pretty sh!tty teams.

he'd be alright to have now (cause we cant score goals) but I wouldnt go after him...I think he's past his prime...and we have enough of those types

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users