#1 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:21 AM

http://www.dailymail...ARLES-SALE.html

Investment banker Josh Harris is set to become the latest American sports franchise owner to buy into English football. The 48-year-old billionaire, who owns basketball’s Philadelphia 76ers and ice hockey team New Jersey Devils, is said to be in detailed talks to purchase Charlton. The Championship club have been linked with a number of potential takeover moves recently, including consortiums from Turkey and Russia. But the bid by Harris is understood to have progressed to an advanced stage since his associates came over for Charlton’s home game against Leeds earlier this month.

Charlton are co-owned by Tony Jiminez and Michael Slater but it is claimed Mayfair property developer Kevin Cash bankrolls the London club and is keen to recoup his funding. Also, Jiminez has had to repay £500,000 to his former Newcastle colleague Dennis Wise after a High Court ruling regarding a property investment. Manager Chris Powell and a number of players are in the last year of contracts that haven’t been renewed because of the likelihood of a Charlton sale. Harris, who spent around £500million buying his NBA and NHL franchises, could easily afford the mooted £43m price for Charlton that would include the freehold of The Valley. And there are ambitious plans being proposed for Charlton, who could, with the aid of wealthy owners, build a new stadium on land near the O2 Arena.

n2eg.jpg

#2 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:41 AM

I'm pretty interested in this if this report is accurate. The Daily Mail has some good journalist and I don't see why they would print this if it wasn't based on solid info. They do tend to print a lot of bs transfer rumors though which is why I'm always a bit hesitant when it comes to the Daily Mail. This seems legit though.

I love to follow the Championship in England and if this guy is as loaded with money as we all think he is, then it will be interesting to see if he can get Charlton back into the Premier League one day.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#3 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:32 AM

I just hope he's not one of those "bigger is better" people...showing people how much he can buy

Are the Sixers a better team since he bought them...I don't know. I dont follow basketball

I just hope the Devils remain a strong organization with the goal of winning games and championships etc...not just another business where he only worries about profits

#4 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:12 AM

The good news for Harris is that there's only two things he needs to do for the devils: write the checks and not fire Lou. That formula will equal success, hopefully he realizes that.

Edit: I'll also add that even if he is solely focused in profits, it's good news for us devils fans because as we've seen (somewhat unfortunately) when the team isn't competitive the fans won't show up... Basically he needs to win to maximize profits.

Edited by dmann422, 30 November 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#5 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:17 PM

Is Harris turning into Tom Hicks 2.0?
Posted Image

#6 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Is Harris turning into Tom Hicks 2.0?

Hicks was owner of the Dallas Stars when they won and lost the cup in the late 90's....and also when the team filed for bankruptcy a few years ago

he also was the one who signed A-Rod to that mega contract with the Texas Rangers

the guy has an appetite (like JVB)...I hope our new owners don't bite off more than they can chew

#7 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

I just hope he's not one of those "bigger is better" people...showing people how much he can buy

Are the Sixers a better team since he bought them...I don't know. I dont follow basketball

I just hope the Devils remain a strong organization with the goal of winning games and championships etc...not just another business where he only worries about profits

Hard to say...the Sixers are 10th or 11th I believe in the East at the moment, but are more or less in full tank mode, from what my Philly friends have told me.  So really won't be able to tell what Harris' ownership of the Sixers does for the franchise for 2-4 years, realistically.

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#8 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:31 PM

Hard to say...the Sixers are 10th or 11th I believe in the East at the moment, but are more or less in full tank mode, from what my Philly friends have told me.  So really won't be able to tell what Harris' ownership of the Sixers does for the franchise for 2-4 years, realistically.

tanking's a better move than going for 41-41 so the fact that he's allowing rigging for Wiggins/Parker shows he'll at least let the basketball people do what they think is best IMO

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#9 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

interesting. My boss is a Charlton season ticket holder and the rumour here is that a property development company are leading the way with a bid.

Didn't realise this was in the mail. That paper has become a lot more hit and miss lately. The rumour my boss has heard was in the south London press. They are the local paper.

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9, 30 November 2013 - 06:26 PM.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#10 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:20 PM

Because being owned by a "fan" worked out so well? I loved VBK, but the team damn near went bankrupt. I don't think having an owner who is concerned about money would be the end of the world.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#11 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:24 PM

Because being owned by a "fan" worked out so well? I loved VBK, but the team damn near went bankrupt. I don't think having an owner who is concerned about money would be the end of the world.

Terry Pegula says hey

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#12 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:25 PM

did you notice I underlined and bolded only

#13 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:41 PM

did you notice I underlined and bolded only

As has been mentioned in this thread, the only way to make a profit with the Devils in this market is to win, so having an owner concerned about profit wouldn't be the end of the world.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#14 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,688 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:03 PM

So how does this affect the Devils if at all?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#15 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 03:06 AM

Lol. Are you talking about on-court success or market relevance/attendance? It really doesn't matter, no is the simple and only answer. I live in the heart of Philly, and in a city where every kid grows up playing basketball, and a city that is truly a basketball town at its core, no one could care less about how awful they are.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#16 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:28 PM

Well at least it means he has more money. Not even sure Vanderbeek was even able to pay his phone bills

www.SterioDesign.com

#17 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:48 PM

Lol. Are you talking about on-court success or market relevance/attendance? It really doesn't matter, no is the simple and only answer. I live in the heart of Philly, and in a city where every kid grows up playing basketball, and a city that is truly a basketball town at its core, no one could care less about how awful they are.

Well, that arguably has something to do with Philly bball fans understanding of the game. That team was going to be mediocre for a long time, or they were going to suck to get draft picks. They chose the latter. Fans not caring makes sense -- they're unwatchable -- but that doesn't mean they're long term indifferent. I don't want to come off on this thread as a Harris apologist. I just think we don't know about him yet, and too many fans are making snap judgments based on minimal evidence. The Sixers especially are in such a weird place it's impossible to judge ownership based on them.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

#18 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:54 AM

Yuck -- it feels like this guy is trying on sports teams to see what he likes best.  I just don't want my Devils trashed at the whim of this bored dude. :saddevil:

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users