161 replies to this topic

#141 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:10 PM

I have no grudge against anyone. This is a message board to express opinion. How is I can have a regular, thought out discussion with every other member on here besides you. Why do you just pick fights? If reading online comments and judging people gets you through your day then you REALLY need a life. No offense to you but you've been the complete stereotype of people I'm not satisfied with when I go to games. The "holier then thou" mentality of some people gets old and quite annoying after awhile.

I might have my side but that doesn't mean I'm not open to hearing other people's. I would expect most people to be similar. You know? Open-minded. Instead of being twats.

The whole "let's turn this entire arena into a sh!tty psuedo college basketball atmosphere" is also getting old and quite annoying too.

The concept that the arena is not your personal living room has gone over the heads of many people's heads, especially since the Devils moved to Newark.

#142 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:13 PM

Oh no doubt the lower bowl (while priced out the ass) is nicer. The best deal you can get is every pre-season on Stubhub, snag club seats for like 40-60 bucks.

But in my opinion it's a trade off. You are trading the ambiance and atmopshere of the upper bowl for the luxury of the lower (which will be much, much more quiet) Some people like that. Others don't. Honestly, as long as I'm in the building and cheering I could give two fvcks where I sit.

lol I dont consider drunk college kids who act like they just learned curse words that day as "ambiance and atmosphere"

#143 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I have no grudge against anyone. This is a message board to express opinion. How is I can have a regular, thought out discussion with every other member on here besides you. Why do you just pick fights? If reading online comments and judging people gets you through your day then you REALLY need a life. No offense to you but you've been the complete stereotype of people I'm not satisfied with when I go to games. The "holier then thou" mentality of some people gets old and quite annoying after awhile.

I might have my side but that doesn't mean I'm not open to hearing other people's.

Like hell you don't.

You came in here and started on your grudge towards the same things in a discussion about vuvuzellas of all things. CR1976 was the first to point that out to you.  

I don't care what discussions or conversations you have with other people. I have my own right to express my opinion on anything you post publicly. I'm not calling you names or personally insulting you. I'm just pointing out that some of your logic and finger pointing is flawed. While you might hear it, you don't listen. If you did, you wouldn't be going on and on posting vids about the same grudges.

Again, i'd love to see you a member of a group that's run the way it is by the very same people and things you loathe.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 02 December 2013 - 03:23 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#144 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

The whole "let's turn this entire arena into a sh!tty psuedo college basketball atmosphere" is also getting old and quite annoying too.

The concept that the arena is not your personal living room has gone over the heads of many people's heads, especially since the Devils moved to Newark.

I really doubt people use those horns in their living room. Lol. The point is that you shouldn't have to defend being loud at a sporting event. I also saw the Diablos trying to make the arena into a soccer-like atmosphere rather then CB. It's funny how the idea for the Diablo's was birthed on this very site (and to a point HF) and now most posters are so vastly against it.

lol I dont consider drunk college kids who act like they just learned curse words that day as "ambiance and atmosphere"

I don't consider a game where you can hear a pin drop as "ambiance and atmosphere" either.  I would suggest that the games that are uber-quiet with faint chanting as the ones that resemble a "living room". 

There has to be some middle ground here.

n2eg.jpg

#145 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:22 PM

Like hell you don't.

The only thing is you came in here and started on your grudge towards the same things in a discussion about vuvuzellas of all things. CR1976 was the first to point that out to you.  

I don't care what discussions or conversations you have with other people. I have my own right to express my opinion on anything you post publicly. I'm not calling you names or personally insulting you. 

Again, i'd love to see you a member of a group that's run the way it is by the very same people and things you loathe. 

Yes. Please go on and tell me how I feel. Like I said. I have no grudge with anyone on here and I try to like everyone on here.

n2eg.jpg

#146 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:23 PM

I really doubt people use those horns in their living room. Lol. The point is that you shouldn't have to defend being loud at a sporting event. I also saw the Diablos trying to make the arena into a soccer-like atmosphere rather then CB. It's funny how the idea for the Diablo's was birthed on this very site (and to a point HF) and now most posters are so vastly against it.

I don't consider a game where you can hear a pin drop as "ambiance and atmosphere" either.  I would suggest that the games that are uber-quiet with faint chanting as the ones that resemble a "living room". 

There has to be some middle ground here.

I didn't say it couldn't be loud, just not dumb college game atmosphere idiocy.

Diablos didn't start here on this forum, the Supporters did.  Supporters died when the Devils took it over before the 2011-12 season and required the purchase of season tickets to sit there and sign a list of by-laws.  The best part of the Supporters was that anyone could join in.  Now, it is just another douchy clique like the Crazies but with the support (and under the watchful eye) of the Devils.

#147 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

I guess I'm bias, but I'd take the college atmosphere over the quiet, dry, corporate Rangers/Maple Leafs atmosphere any day of the week.  And I mention those two teams because I feel like that's what you'd prefer the Devils' to be like, at some point..

Edit:  Which, to clarify, is fine I guess, to each their own.  I'm not looking to start a pissing contest or anything, but I guess I'm having a hard time grasping the other side of the debate here.  

Edited by Devilsfan118, 02 December 2013 - 03:28 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#148 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:29 PM

I guess I'm bias, but I'd take the college atmosphere over the quiet, dry, corporate Rangers/Maple Leafs atmosphere any day of the week.  And I mention those two teams because I feel like that's what you'd prefer the Devils' to be like, at some point..

You mean sold out night after night and ending the constant moaning of Devils fans who freak out over the attendance numbers?  Yeah, I can live with that.

I doubt it will ever be like that though.  Like I said before, I dont mind noise, I just don't want the sheer idiocy that comes with a lot of it.  I took my Dad the Winnipeg game which was his first Devils game in about 5 years.  He even said that the crowd has gotten much younger and more obnoxious than it was when we had season tickets from 91-03.  He even started getting pissed off at the vuvuzela by the 2nd period and we were in the bottom bowl.

#149 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:35 PM

You mean sold out night after night and ending the constant moaning of Devils fans who freak out over the attendance numbers?  Yeah, I can live with that.

I doubt it will ever be like that though.  Like I said before, I dont mind noise, I just don't want the sheer idiocy that comes with a lot of it.  I took my Dad the Winnipeg game which was his first Devils game in about 5 years.  He even said that the crowd has gotten much younger and more obnoxious than it was when we had season tickets from 91-03.  He even started getting pissed off at the vuvuzela by the 2nd period and we were in the bottom bowl.

Well what would happen is they wouldn't complain about the attendance anymore, they'd bitch and moan about the atmosphere and ambiance. Devils fans love to complain even when they get what they want. Then point a finger at something else.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#150 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:50 PM

Well what would happen is they wouldn't complain about the attendance anymore, they'd bitch and moan about the atmosphere and ambiance. Devils fans love to complain even when they get what they want. Then point a finger at something else.

And then you'd have condescending jerkoffs who would look down on those who make their displeasure with the current situation known..

It's the circle of life!

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#151 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,240 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

Edit:  Which, to clarify, is fine I guess, to each their own.  I'm not looking to start a pissing contest or anything, but I guess I'm having a hard time grasping the other side of the debate here.  

I'll do my best to give you a 43-year-old's perspective (but someone who still considers himself relatively young at heart). 

As you get older, you DO find certain things becoming more irritating and annoying that maybe you wouldn't have in your youth.  There was a time where I loved the idea of going into a bar or club where getting bumped and elbowed every two seconds, paying $5+ per beer, and not being able to hear or carry on a conversation with the person standing less than a foot away from me appealed to me greatly.  Now?  Not so much.  Am I a big fan of barely-turned 21-somethings and 40-year-old adolescents who don't know their alcohol limits and clearly have no filters sitting near me at Devils games?  No.  But I ignore them the best that I can.  I don't go to hockey games to confront people on what many define to be inappropriate behavior.  I came to terms with the fact, a long time ago, that sporting events of all kinds will attract a segment of fans who think buying a ticket gives them the right to do whatever they want, at everyone else's expense.  It comes with the territory in 2013.

Like I've said, I'm all for a rocking building.  I think most people are, of all ages.  With all due respect to Mazz, he seems to think that not liking a certain type of noise or noises means that such people would prefer to see a near-silent building.  Not the case at all.  I think what we want to see is genuine noise, heartfelt enthusiasm coming from fans who are actually FEELING it, and Devils fans have shown the capability of doing that on their own (maybe not enough, but they have).  The diablos to me are the equivalent of pumped-in crowd noise and paid cheerleading.  They remind me of the offensive defenseman who has no idea of when to join the rush and when to pinch.  There's just not much of a sense of timing with that group, and they don't feel "real" to me.  But like I've said, as long as they're not breaking any rules, it's not on them to tone it down or whatever...it's on me to ignore the vuvuzelas and whatever else bugs me about the diablos.         

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 December 2013 - 03:56 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#152 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 03:59 PM

The vuvuzela is fine during the PK, as I love the "Kill!" chant... However, whoever uses it at any other point really needs to stop.

I'm in Section 119, and when someone in our section or a section over would start a nice loud "Let's Go Devils!" chant, Section 122 would chime in, which is fine and all, but the vuvuzela would come in late/off-tempo and it ruined at least 2-3 "Let's Go Devils!" chants because it threw everyone off. They really need to stop with the vuvuzelas, they're getting more and more out of control as each game goes on, it's like that person's nervous tic now.

Correct.  I agree with most of the board that it's fine on the PK but having a noisemaker going on at all times is just annoying.  If they want to make honest-to-god authentic noise that's one thing but using props is an easy way out imo and quite ridiculous that it's nonstop at all times.

It wouldn't be so bad if our eardrums weren't assaulted from the moment we get in the door. The arena is so damn loud that you can't have a conversation at any time, even during intermission. The fact that these guys get cheapo tix, then also get to annoy the sh!t out of anyone remotely close to their section is stupid.

And yeah, doing the Baumann chant every period really kills it. No one wants to join in when the chant it done so often, it's LAME. The one time it was done at the other end of the ice Saturday night, the chant was 50X louder than any of the attempts by the diablos.

Bingo bingo bingo.  I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have a dj playing superloud music in the concourse a half hour or so before games, but it just seems like the team (and I'm including the Diablos in this cause they're more or less an extension of the Devils at this point) is going loud louder and loudest this year and it's not enhancing the experience at all, quite the opposite.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#153 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,673 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:00 PM

I've said it before, but the fanbase has gotten much younger as the people who were kids when the cups were won have started buying tickets for themselves. Add in public transportation, and it's going to be a different crowd than the CAA. With a younger fanbase comes less maturity and less subtlety. These are just younger people who want to yell and make noise in support of the team.

I'm a little older now, and much less interested in standing and screaming like a banshee after I just worked for 9 hours and then drove another hour in traffic. Personally, I like to just sit back and enjoy the game itself.

However, I do understand that these things come with a younger fanbase, and it's not something unique to New Jersey. The Islanders have a similar group, in section 329 in the Coliseum. A friend of mine was one of the ones who started and lead that group 6 or 7 years ago. Now he's older, and he can't stand how obnoxious they are.

It's the same thing in Jersey. It's not the kids getting louder, it's that there's a lot more of them now and we have gotten older. I'm not a fan of the whole 'sucks/swallow' thing at all, but I do like having some life in the building at times. Sadly, a lot of the noise now feels manufactured. I think their hearts are in the right place, in that most of them truly believe they are helping the team or the atmosphere. Unfortunately, you do have the occasional one who thinks he's hilarious and original and that we paid to listen to him all game. They tend to be the loudest of all (and drunk). All in all though, I prefer natural crowd noise of people who are enjoying the game and not trying to be the star of it.

That being said, the horn and cowbell should really be used in moderation and to the beat of the chants. It tends to sound like a 'noise for the sake of noise' type of mess. Last Monday, I thought a lab monkey was hitting the cowbell every time he wanted a treat.

Edit... and once again, CR1976 puts a similar idea together in a much more concise and less-rambling way. Read his post instead haha....

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 02 December 2013 - 04:01 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#154 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:14 PM

The lower bowl is 100 times nicer than the upper.  Honestly the only place in the middle/uppers that is reasonable is the balcony side where the Devils shoot twice.

Been to the lower bowl enough times to compare. It's "to each his own"; I like the view AND the atmosphere much more in the uppers, believe it or not. Space and comfort are the only things lacking, but otherwise, I'd pick my upper seats over lower bowl seats 99 times out of 100.

Edited by DJ Eco, 02 December 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#155 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Been to the lower bowl enough times to compare. It's "to each his own"; I like the view AND the atmosphere much more in the uppers, believe it or not. Space and comfort are the only things lacking, but otherwise, I'd pick my upper seats over lower bowl seats 99 times out of 100.

Space is another thing I hate about the uppers. When I sit down, my legs should be able to either stretch out a tiny bit or at least go down in a 90 degree angle.  Instead my legs are constantly having to be tucked below my own seat because there is just no damn room up there.

I used to not mind the uppers but every game I am learning to loathe them more and more for various reasons.

#156 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,031 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:26 PM

Space is another thing I hate about the uppers. When I sit down, my legs should be able to either stretch out a tiny bit or at least go down in a 90 degree angle.  Instead my legs are constantly having to be tucked below my own seat because there is just no damn room up there.

I used to not mind the uppers but every game I am learning to loathe them more and more for various reasons.

I usually have plenty of legroom but it helps the two seats next to me are almost never sold, which is kind of surprising given the location.

Of course the game I was downstairs last week I was in section 13 so I was still right below the Diablos, I could hear the noisemakers like they were right next to me.  I don't like quiet arenas either, but annoying noise for the sake of making noise really isn't any better than no noise at all.  The 2012 playoffs rocked and they didn't need the stupid noisemakers/vuvuzelas/super-loud music.  I love hearing loud D-E-V-I-L-S chants and things like that.  I'm not against loud noise, but not all loud noises are created equal.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 December 2013 - 04:32 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#157 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

I guess I'm bias, but I'd take the college atmosphere over the quiet, dry, corporate Rangers/Maple Leafs atmosphere any day of the week. And I mention those two teams because I feel like that's what you'd prefer the Devils' to be like, at some point..

Edit: Which, to clarify, is fine I guess, to each their own. I'm not looking to start a pissing contest or anything, but I guess I'm having a hard time grasping the other side of the debate here.

I understand what you're afraid of with the corporate atmosphere, but there is a clear line between a college atmosphere and an environment where you encourage all potential fans to come and participate.

I think (and hope) the new ownership is trying to find that balance between college party and family friendly event, because such an atmosphere should be able to please everyone and simultaneously create more of a home ice advantage.

#158 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

I've said it before, but the fanbase has gotten much younger as the people who were kids when the cups were won have started buying tickets for themselves. Add in public transportation, and it's going to be a different crowd than the CAA. With a younger fanbase comes less maturity and less subtlety. These are just younger people who want to yell and make noise in support of the team.

I'm a little older now, and much less interested in standing and screaming like a banshee after I just worked for 9 hours and then drove another hour in traffic. Personally, I like to just sit back and enjoy the game itself.

However, I do understand that these things come with a younger fanbase, and it's not something unique to New Jersey. The Islanders have a similar group, in section 329 in the Coliseum. A friend of mine was one of the ones who started and lead that group 6 or 7 years ago. Now he's older, and he can't stand how obnoxious they are.

It's the same thing in Jersey. It's not the kids getting louder, it's that there's a lot more of them now and we have gotten older. I'm not a fan of the whole 'sucks/swallow' thing at all, but I do like having some life in the building at times. Sadly, a lot of the noise now feels manufactured. I think their hearts are in the right place, in that most of them truly believe they are helping the team or the atmosphere. Unfortunately, you do have the occasional one who thinks he's hilarious and original and that we paid to listen to him all game. They tend to be the loudest of all (and drunk). All in all though, I prefer natural crowd noise of people who are enjoying the game and not trying to be the star of it.

That being said, the horn and cowbell should really be used in moderation and to the beat of the chants. It tends to sound like a 'noise for the sake of noise' type of mess. Last Monday, I thought a lab monkey was hitting the cowbell every time he wanted a treat.

Edit... and once again, CR1976 puts a similar idea together in a much more concise and less-rambling way. Read his post instead haha....

Why do young people always get blamed for things getting worse? No offense to you in particular, this is just something a lot of people do. I'm 23, I don't think I'm that old and I dislike the "college" atmosphere thing. While young people tend to be less considerate at times, older people aren't exactly blame free. Just sayin', ya know, screw you OLD MAN, lol jk.

LMAO at the bold there. That's how I feel about the vuvuzela. It felt like the guy was killing other organic LGD chants because he couldn't hear anything over his own plastic horn, so he was way out of sync with the rest of the arena.

#159 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:31 PM

funny DD

and mazz maybe some people use vuvzelas in their home, funny.

that game was THE most frustrating to watch.

Posted Image

#160 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,833 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:46 AM

CR1976 and Devil Dan - thanks for the great posts.  I'm understanding a bit better now where the other side is coming from.  There has to be a middle ground (as the post I quoted below mentioned) that can keep all parties happy - and I hope the Devils manage to find it quickly. 

I understand what you're afraid of with the corporate atmosphere, but there is a clear line between a college atmosphere and an environment where you encourage all potential fans to come and participate.  I think (and hope) the new ownership is trying to find that balance between college party and family friendly event, because such an atmosphere should be able to please everyone and simultaneously create more of a home ice advantage.

Amen, amen.  Here's hoping they do find that balance.

believe-ll.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users