193 replies to this topic

#121 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,013 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

Frustrating loss but it happens. I'm really hoping Henrique is ok and that the goal will get Ryder's game going. I don't even get that upset at the PP that much anymore, I just expect it to fail so when they actually do something with it, it's like a bonus.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl

My New Jersey Devils Prospect Blog
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#122 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,325 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Two wins: yaaaaay!!!

Loss: everyone from Lou to the stick boy are terrible.

Eh I don't see it that way for the most part. Only a couple of posters really feel that way and they are the usual suspects. This team does have a very serious goal scoring problem, injury problem, and player personnel problem. Marty looked bad, no one could score even with many glorious chances, and the fact that more skilled players say in favor of sestito and janssen are legitimate complaints

#123 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Two wins: yaaaaay!!!

Loss: everyone from Lou to the stick boy are terrible.

They're a frustrating bunch, in that they're destined to be NHL .500ish.  They keep the shots against and goals against low enough that they stay in a lot of games...which has us all hoping "If they could only score just a little more"...except they can't...not with any consistency, anyway.  But hopefully Ryder scoring marks the beginning of some forwards starting to get going...

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#124 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:22 PM

Tough game to lose. But if you watched these two teams you'd have a hard time telling which one is higher in the standings. Devils have done a pretty good job generating chances since the second period against the Canes. Hopefully it continues.

I think some time off may do Henrique some good. Clear his head a bit. Mind you he had all summer for that and didn't seem to make a difference :P but I can hope.

Posted Image

#125 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

I want to see some scorers on this team.  We need more Ryder goals like that one.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#126 sassquash

sassquash

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

I want to see some scorers on this team.  We need more Ryder goals like that one.

Don't hold your breath

functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism

#127 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,663 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Sucks that this is probably Marty's last game in Montreal

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#128 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

There's one more game in Montreal left.  I doubt Pete wouldn't play Marty.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#129 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:37 PM

Thank god philly and the rags both lost too

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#130 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:44 PM

Thank god philly and the rags both lost too

All three teams have been eerily similar this year.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#131 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:46 PM

At this rate, it's quite possible all three of the Devils, Rangers, and Flyers miss the playoffs.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#132 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:56 PM

At this rate, it's quite possible all three of the Devils, Rangers, and Flyers miss the playoffs.

Call me crazy. But I think it's more likely all three make it. 

For all three three to miss... one of the Islanders, Hurricanes or Blue Jackets would have to secure that third divisional spot. I don't have confidence in the Hurricanes. The Blue Jackets have the best shot in my opinion. They haven't been healthy this year. The Islanders will probably fire their coach at some point and go on a run. But they may be to tempted to trade Vanek rather than risk him leave via free agency, and then they've removed Matt Moulson's 25 + goals for essentially nothing.

The Lightning and Leafs are struggling and both could drop from the wild card spots although I think they'll be competitive all season (especially the Leafs.) Stamkos' injury and Ben Bishop's play will likely dictate the success of Tampa's season.

Sadly I think the Devils are the most likely to miss the playoffs out of the group you mentioned. But the season is still young. Who knows what can happen.

Edited by devils102, 02 December 2013 - 10:56 PM.

Posted Image

#133 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

We NEED goals...bottom line. 1 and 2 goal games don't cut it.Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

2 goals SHOULD be enough for at least a point when allowing 20 shots

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,893 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:40 PM

lot of people Suddenly Jibing Pete in here I see.  Sestito and Janssen sucks, but it is really nothing compared to the horrible power play, where the puck movement and the players are far too slow.  I don't see what fixes that.  I think they had 1 shot on 3 power plays which is unacceptable.

Bottom lines get fixed somewhat when they realize Janssen isn't needed anymore, although realizing that about Gionta will take much longer, I fear (and indeed may take just Lou not re-signing him after this year).  Still, your 4th line is largely unimportant - at least this year the Devils have 9 forwards they like playing, not 7 like at some portions of 2011-12.

As for 2 goals, the Devils have to be getting points when they score 2 goals a large portion of the time.  Like 70% of the time when they score 2 goals in regulation they should be getting at least 1 point.  They're not a historically great defense but they are close.  But Brodeur has lost his last 4 starts and Schneider has won his last 3 - I believe the idea that Brodeur just wins and that Schneider doesn't has been retired.

Edited by Triumph, 02 December 2013 - 11:42 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#135 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:22 AM

I still say you have to get creative for offense on this team. Put Zids on the wing. Demote #25, #11 and Sestito. Play Teds, JJ, Carter when helathy. Let Bryce come back on a 3rd pairing or bring up Helgeson or play Harrold. You need to ice the most skilled players you can. Goals by committee is the only way. Also, ride Schneids until you can't.

And my comparison to Zids to Burns is correct. Burns played forward back in 2003 in a league that was essentially street hockey. Zids in the O zone would be loke picking up a middle 6 forward or better.

Maybe trade Brunner, Sal, and Kinkaid/Wedgewood for a middle 6 player.

Edited by hystyk28, 03 December 2013 - 03:20 AM.

#136 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

2 goals SHOULD be enough for at least a point when allowing 20 shots

They would have had 4 if not for PK Subban.

But 17 shots on net shouldn't lead to 3 goals against.  Only one of the goals Marty should have stopped though.  He couldn't do anything on the Pacioretty and Galchenyuk goals.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#137 moustic

moustic

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

Nop ... I will be there for Marty's last game in Montreal ! I'm coming from France for that !

#138 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:47 AM

After 28 games in previous years.

05-06: 29 points (finished with 101 points)

06-07: 36 points (finished with 107 points)

07-08: 36 points (finished with 99 points)

08-09: 35 points (finished with 106 points)

09-10: 41 points (finished with 103 points)

*10-11: 18 points (finished with 81 points)

11-12: 29 points (finished with 102 points)

*12-13: 32 points (finished with 48 points)

**13-14: 27 points

*missed playoffs

**season in progress

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#139 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:21 AM

Regardless of the result, I love the way this team is playing. Another great defensive effort, cohesive team play, the passion is there, really creating a formula for sustainable success.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#140 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 06:09 AM

It is hard to understand why Janssen continues to play when we need offense. The same can be said about Gionta when he is healthy. I understand it is Pete and Lou.

Josefson who was a bench warmer is now playing in the PK explain that? I know the answer Good for Josefson and us fans.

Marty loses 3 in a row and he starts in Montreal against a hot team when you have Schneider on the bench?

Marty allows 3 of 17, no way. He was off 2 of the 3 were on him alone. He now has 4 starts with 4 losses does he start Wednesday, NO WAY, but with Pete and Lou maybe.

It difficult to be a Devils fan with team management like we have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users