Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#142 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:24 AM

lot of people Suddenly Jibing Pete in here I see.  Sestito and Janssen sucks, but it is really nothing compared to the horrible power play, where the puck movement and the players are far too slow.  I don't see what fixes that.  I think they had 1 shot on 3 power plays which is unacceptable.

Bottom lines get fixed somewhat when they realize Janssen isn't needed anymore, although realizing that about Gionta will take much longer, I fear (and indeed may take just Lou not re-signing him after this year).  Still, your 4th line is largely unimportant - at least this year the Devils have 9 forwards they like playing, not 7 like at some portions of 2011-12.

As for 2 goals, the Devils have to be getting points when they score 2 goals a large portion of the time.  Like 70% of the time when they score 2 goals in regulation they should be getting at least 1 point.  They're not a historically great defense but they are close.  But Brodeur has lost his last 4 starts and Schneider has won his last 3 - I believe the idea that Brodeur just wins and that Schneider doesn't has been retired.

Marty's 2013-14 save% is down to .906, which is about his norm since 2010-11 overall (I've pointed out the peaks in that time period).  It's .878 in his last five games.  Schneider's save% in his last five is .957.  If Cory hasn't earned the right to play in the next three games (and I think Cory can handle playing in back-to-back games just fine...the guy is friggin' 27 years old and has only played in 12 games this year...not like he's been overworked), then DeBoer is just being flat-out stubborn.  Marty's hot streak was a lot of fun to watch and it's always great to see him play well and add to his win total, and I think he'll have another little streak like that during this season at some point, but that doesn't mean he's earned a goaltending split for the next month, especially when the other guy is stopping pucks and doing it at a terrific rate.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#143 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:46 AM

DeBoer IS stubborn, nothing new there

www.SterioDesign.com

#144 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:47 AM

No excuse for not getting a point holding them to 20 shots

17 shots actually. 

Devils have given up 63 goals this season (excluding phantom SO goals).  That's 2.25 GPGA.  They've scored 61 (2.18 GPGF).  That's pretty rotten.  We know they've been shut out five times (as one would expect, all losses) and scored just one goal five times (1-3-1 in those games, which actually isn't that bad for a team that struggles to score as much as the Devils do).  They're 2-3-2 when they score two goals, and Tri is right, they need to find ways to get more points out of these two-goals-for games (and they're probably not going to get many extra points in shootouts).  The Devils are 8-1-2 when they score 3+ (not really a surprise, as they've been good at keep GA down), but they're not going to get to 3+ very often (they're just as likely to score 3+ as they are to score 1 or less). 

If the Devils can come away with 55%-60% of the points available in two-goals-for games, I think they make the playoffs, but they have to cut down on the one-or-less games.  Right now they're on pace to have 29 such games, which is pretty scary.      

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#145 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 07:55 AM

DeBoer IS stubborn, nothing new there

I want to see what he does as the evidence mounts that Schneider should be playing signficantly more.  Marty's 6-game run of terrific play definitely complicated things, but now he's on a run that's clearly gone the other way (and this is the second such run for Marty this season).  The last few years show he's been inconsistent.  I think to an extent, DeBoer's had some people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is now two straight games where Marty was given a start many thought Schneider deserved, and the results have been lousy (.821 save% combined in the two games, on just 39 shots combined).  And the team is not in a position to give away games.  Schneider has earned the right to start for a while...not sure what more he has to do. 

#30 FOREVER!

#146 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:02 AM

DeBoer's had some people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is now two straight games where Marty was given a start many thought Schneider deserved, and the results have been lousy (.821 save% combined in the two games, on just 39 shots combined).  And the team is not in a position to give away games.  Schneider has earned the right to start for a while...not sure what more he has to do. 

The thing with DeBoer is that he is a great system's coach. Is he poor at man management? Yeah, but I think I'd rather have it this way than vice versa, and who knows what the next guy will be like if he's fired? 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#147 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:28 AM

I want to see what he does as the evidence mounts that Schneider should be playing signficantly more.  Marty's 6-game run of terrific play definitely complicated things, but now he's on a run that's clearly gone the other way (and this is the second such run for Marty this season).  The last few years show he's been inconsistent.  I think to an extent, DeBoer's had some people willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, but this is now two straight games where Marty was given a start many thought Schneider deserved, and the results have been lousy (.821 save% combined in the two games, on just 39 shots combined).  And the team is not in a position to give away games.  Schneider has earned the right to start for a while...not sure what more he has to do. 

there's no need to look at it in details like that. Like honestly, how many times did DeBoer sat a young D who never deserved to be sitting for an struggling vet. Or sitting a young forward for janssen and Gionta when it was obviously not the right move. etc etc etc. 

Seeing him giving undeserved games to Marty ahead of Schneider is not even surprising me. Its just frustrating to see how our management can be so stubborn on so many levels.

www.SterioDesign.com

#148 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

there's no need to look at it in details like that. Like honestly, how many times did DeBoer sat a young D who never deserved to be sitting for an struggling vet. Or sitting a young forward for janssen and Gionta when it was obviously not the right move. etc etc etc. 

Seeing him giving undeserved games to Marty ahead of Schneider is not even surprising me. Its just frustrating to see how our management can be so stubborn on so many levels.

I was talking about the goaltending situation specifically, hence the details. 

The thing with DeBoer is that he is a great system's coach. Is he poor at man management? Yeah, but I think I'd rather have it this way than vice versa, and who knows what the next guy will be like if he's fired? 

I'm not an anti-DeBeor guy at all, but if Marty isn't stopping pucks and Schneider is, and the team needs wins, it's easy to do the math.

#30 FOREVER!

#149 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 08:52 AM

Cory should be playing, I said it befiore the game last night, Marty has been off the last few starts, I would like to see Ocry play 10 of the next 15 and see how things go.

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#150 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:04 AM

I'm not an anti-DeBeor guy at all, but if Marty isn't stopping pucks and Schneider is, and the team needs wins, it's easy to do the math.

I understand 100%. I think we'll see a stretch of primarily Corey-games coming up.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#151 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

I cannot understand why so many are complaining we need more offense so we should sit Janssen and sestito. Is tedenby or Boucher on the 4th line for 5 mins a game really going to make a difference offensively?

I guess a lot of people just need someone to point fingers to. News flash- Janssen and sestito didn't necessarily play bad, the barely played at all. 4:18 for Janssen and 7:50 for sestito.

It's frustrating but the plays we should be looking at are the ones we had wide open net but couldn't get it past a defenseman's stick, or the one where Elias couldn't clear the zone which led to borque's goal, or open shots in the slot fired wide.

Stop complaining about cam Janssens 4 mins on the ice like it cost us the game...it had no effect whatsoever.

Edited by dmann422, 03 December 2013 - 09:21 AM.

#152 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,907 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:49 AM

so apparently that Daniel Brière is beyond furious with Therrien, he played 7:45 last night and he's been in his doghouse for quite awhile. a source close to him says that he's regretting not picking NJ where he would have been closer to his kids + more money. He went to mtl cause it was his childhood dream but its turning into a nightmare for him. He's struggling sleeping and theres nothing he can do.

oh well.

www.SterioDesign.com

#153 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Marty's 2013-14 save% is down to .906, which is about his norm since 2010-11 overall (I've pointed out the peaks in that time period).  It's .878 in his last five games.  Schneider's save% in his last five is .957.  If Cory hasn't earned the right to play in the next three games (and I think Cory can handle playing in back-to-back games just fine...the guy is friggin' 27 years old and has only played in 12 games this year...not like he's been overworked), then DeBoer is just being flat-out stubborn.  Marty's hot streak was a lot of fun to watch and it's always great to see him play well and add to his win total, and I think he'll have another little streak like that during this season at some point, but that doesn't mean he's earned a goaltending split for the next month, especially when the other guy is stopping pucks and doing it at a terrific rate.   

well, they didn't Triumph last night, but maybe trading for a guy like Brent burns or Brent seabrook would help. that is if they don't wind up being traded to Brooklyn and retiring having to write Blogs under the pen name Guy Incognito. 

#154 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

so apparently that Daniel Brière is beyond furious with Therrien, he played 7:45 last night and he's been in his doghouse for quite awhile. a source close to him says that he's regretting not picking NJ where he would have been closer to his kids + more money. He went to mtl cause it was his childhood dream but its turning into a nightmare for him. He's struggling sleeping and theres nothing he can do.

oh well.

Thank God he didn't choose NJ

#155 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:59 AM

I cannot understand why so many are complaining we need more offense so we should sit Janssen and sestito. Is tedenby or Boucher on the 4th line for 5 mins a game really going to make a difference offensively?

I guess a lot of people just need someone to point fingers to. News flash- Janssen and sestito didn't necessarily play bad, the barely played at all. 4:18 for Janssen and 7:50 for sestito.

It's frustrating but the plays we should be looking at are the ones we had wide open net but couldn't get it past a defenseman's stick, or the one where Elias couldn't clear the zone which led to borque's goal, or open shots in the slot fired wide.

Stop complaining about cam Janssens 4 mins on the ice like it cost us the game...it had no effect whatsoever.

I think people complain about Janssen mostly because they don't think he's any good and don't want to see him become a permanent fixture in the lineup, no matter how little he plays...but the scary thing is that he's put more pucks in the net than some of the "scoring" forwards have recently.  Hell, even with the low number of goals overall, guys like Carter and Bernier pitching in are helping to cover up for the many invisible men who aren't putting pucks in the net (we know who they all are)...it could be a lot worse, especially without the offensive contributions of the Devils' defenseman of late. 

oh well.

Not sure if it would've gone any better for him here, but obviously no way to know.  Kinda hard to blame him for going to Montreal...that's a dream for many guys of his heritage.

well, they didn't Triumph last night, but maybe trading for a guy like Brent burns or Brent seabrook would help. that is if they don't wind up being traded to Brooklyn and retiring having to write Blogs under the pen name Guy Incognito. 

I'm going to guess that you're implying I'm supposed to be Triumph writing under a different username?  Not sure how else I'm supposed to interpret this.   

#30 FOREVER!

#156 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,757 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

I'm going to guess that you're implying I'm supposed to be Triumph writing under a different username?  Not sure how else I'm supposed to interpret this.   

Nah, you're supposed to interpret it that a previously banned poster who is now pathetically posing as a woman is back on the board, again.  Seems Just Peachy 'round here.

Edited by Triumph, 03 December 2013 - 10:23 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#157 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

I'm sorry, CR, the Sheldon Cooper clone is on ignore thanks to information and input from fellow board members. Since you seem to be one of the handful who respond to him i quoted you. My apologies.

#158 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:27 AM

Nah, you're supposed to interpret it that a previously banned poster who is now pathetically posing as a woman is back on the board, again.  Seems Just Peachy 'round here.

Pot meet kettle.

You have been implying that non-stop in multiple threads since at least late August thinking your sly or clever.

Edited by DevsMan84, 03 December 2013 - 10:28 AM.

#159 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,063 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:35 AM

Thank God he didn't choose NJ

We need all the scoring we could get.  I would have taken him over Olesz and Clowe any day.

#160 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

I think people complain about Janssen mostly because they don't think he's any good and don't want to see him become a permanent fixture in the lineup, no matter how little he plays...but the scary thing is that he's put more pucks in the net than some of the "scoring" forwards have recently.  Hell, even with the low number of goals overall, guys like Carter and Bernier pitching in are helping to cover up for the many invisible men who aren't putting pucks in the net (we know who they all are)...it could be a lot worse, especially without the offensive contributions of the Devils' defenseman of late. 

Tim Sestito isn't any good. Brad Mills wasn't any good. Cam Janssen is an atrocious hockey player. There was once a role for him in 2006 when he came up. But he can't even bring much energy anymore. He can't skate and can't keep up. And like I have said many times, why put a guy in the lineup when you only feel he can play 4+ minutes. It's also been 3 games now where the Devils lost a forward early and had to go with 3 lines for most of the game because you can't play Janssen in tight situations. With so many back-to-backs, it's a brutal recipe. 

Yes Janssen got two goals. It was a fun and something to have a chuckle about. But a coach should enjoy that production and bail early, or we might be waiting 100 more games before he gets another. Rob Skrlac scored in his first NHL game, thankfully we didn't wait 75 plus games to see when he'd score another.

Look at Gionta. I think when people were enjoying the nice contributions from Gionta, Tri said that the issue with a player like him is that he could go 82 games and score 1 goal. Well, he is at 1 goal in his last 42 games. 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users