247 replies to this topic

#241 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

I believe I saw on TG's blog a fan at the game saw Ryder get the puck for his first assist but idk about the so goal, it's not really a goal.

Plus maybe the devils organization would want to keep that puck since it's the first SO goal they scored in nearly a year.

LOL. Yeah, I doubt Boucher cared to grab the SO goal puck. 1st NHL assist and point is a big one though.

#242 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:49 PM

This isn't really fair.  For one, Schneider got hurt.  For another, Marty got hot, and I thought the Devils were right to ride him out.  That delayed Schneider grabbing the #1 job, through no real fault of his own. 

Now, it looks like he's going to.  Not sure how you get down on him about yesterday, unless you want to pick on him about the shootout (not the route I'm going). 

The numbers are there:  1.81 GAA, .925 save%.  He's gotten some lousy goal support. 

you misread,  I'm down on him today because we/he weren't able to hold the lead for 1:06.....

I'm bummed in general because events like last night that "may" have some (even me at times !) thinking that he's not yet ready for # 1, so that is why I included him recent numbers to show how sometimes perception & reality are different.  

Although I did literally LOL last night when he tried in Brodeurian-fashion to make an outlet pass...only have his stick come up way over his head all while twirling during his follow-through !

#243 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:18 PM

I'm bummed in general because events like last night that "may" have some (even me at times !) thinking that he's not yet ready for # 1, so that is why I included him recent numbers to show how sometimes perception & reality are different.

Completely agree. As much as we don't want there to be a goalie controversy this year, there totally is. Every single game, there's people on either side of the coin who've made it very personal.

You have the people that somehow (irrationally) feel threatened by the prospect of Schneider, a relative outsider, taking Marty's job in his (possibly) last year and running with it, so they're waiting for every possible slip-up to assert their opinion that "Marty's better".

And on the other hand you have people with unreasonable expectations of Schneider who use every win or stat to try and kick Marty down a peg.

And then there's people in the middle who just want DeBoer to put a winning team on the ice, which inevitably will use Marty's veteran clutch at some points in the season, and Schneider's totally off the charts skill at others. I'm thrilled with the goalie situation this year, we have two elite goaltenders and I don't feel like we're a very vulnerable team on most nights, like I may have felt last year.

#244 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

Completely agree. As much as we don't want there to be a goalie controversy this year, there totally is. Every single game, there's people on either side of the coin who've made it very personal.

You have the people that somehow (irrationally) feel threatened by the prospect of Schneider, a relative outsider, taking Marty's job in his (possibly) last year and running with it, so they're waiting for every possible slip-up to assert their opinion that "Marty's better".

And on the other hand you have people with unreasonable expectations of Schneider who use every win or stat to try and kick Marty down a peg.

And then there's people in the middle who just want DeBoer to put a winning team on the ice, which inevitably will use Marty's veteran clutch at some points in the season, and Schneider's totally off the charts skill at others. I'm thrilled with the goalie situation this year, we have two elite goaltenders and I don't feel like we're a very vulnerable team on most nights, like I may have felt last year.

I think the thing that makes it difficult for the Devils is that the locker room more than likely has people from both schools of thought as well. It's very delicate, but the end has to be Cory starting regularly and signed long term.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#245 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Not that good, very lucky.

I'm not convinced about the Canadiens. I've seen enough of their games in the past few weeks and don't see them being dangerous as the season progresses. So much luck, a la Toronto Maple Leafs and NY Islanders in October. 

I think Devils, Flyers, and Capitals are better than their place in the standings suggest. I think teams like Tampa Bay and Montreal will start to plummet soon. We just gotta keep doing what we're doing, things will go our way soon.

canadiens are not that bad and we match up well with them, in terms of good games.

agreed on second part i use goals for and against stat and is usually close to correct.

a team up top with more goals against is worse than a lower team with more goals for.

tends to be true.

Posted Image

#246 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:33 PM

I'm pretty blown away by Ottawa's GA and GF, wow... They could really use some defense...

#247 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,504 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

I'm pretty blown away by Ottawa's GA and GF, wow... They could really use some defense...

They could, but they are a budget team. They are really struggling getting the puck out of their own zone. They lost Gonchar and hoped either Wiercioch or Corvo would give them something. It didn't work out. Add in the fact that Methot took a major step back and Cowen has been atrocious...it's been tough.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#248 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,899 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:54 AM

They could, but they are a budget team. They are really struggling getting the puck out of their own zone. They lost Gonchar and hoped either Wiercioch or Corvo would give them something. It didn't work out. Add in the fact that Methot took a major step back and Cowen has been atrocious...it's been tough.

Cowen is a revelation.  It's almost like teams just think that high draft picks are automatically good at defense.  To think they almost signed him for 8 years this off-season.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users