Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

This deserves its own thread:

http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

The New York Rangers and goaltender Henrik Lundqvist on Wednesday agreed on a seven-year contract extension with a reported average annual value of $8.5 million.

"Since his arrival in New York in 2005, Henrik has consistently been one of the elite goaltenders in the NHL," Rangers general manager Glen Sather said. "He is a proud representative of the tradition and class of this organization and we are excited to have him remain as a cornerstone of the franchise."

IMO, not even close to worth it.

Edited by Neb00rs, 04 December 2013 - 12:27 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:26 PM

they really had no choice after Rask ran the market up but he hasn't won anything. only one deep playoff run and hes almost 32. cant help but laugh. cue the long term injury!

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#3 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,908 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:28 PM

And the King of No Rings will continue to be just that.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#4 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:30 PM

at least Rask won a cup to somewhat justify his contract! haha

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#5 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

It's a lot of money for sure, but the guy has shown he can do the job and at a high level, season after season after season.  Career .920 save% and he's 102 games over NHL .500.  What were their options?  Cam Talbot?  He's already 26 years old.   

I said this in the OOT thread, but it's hard to let a guy go who has proven he cannot only be a #1 goalie, but a very good one at that.  The main rub on him right now is that the crosstown 40-year-old who he supposedly "dominates" (as much as two players who don't interact on the ice can actually "dominate" each other) outplayed him in the biggest series of his career. 

If he struggles or isn't outstanding in the playoffs in the years to come, I expect he'll hear a lot more criticism than he did in the past. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 December 2013 - 12:32 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

at least Rask won a cup to somewhat justify his contract! haha

Rask didn't really win that Cup, although he was on the roster.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:33 PM

Good deal short-term, bad deal long-term.  Bad news for the Devils if they try to get Cory Schneider's name on anything this summer.  Either way I think the Rangers are paying a little more than they wanted to pay.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#8 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

I am really surprised. Seriously.

Devils.

#9 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,555 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:34 PM

Good deal short-term, bad deal long-term.  Bad news for the Devils if they try to get Cory Schneider's name on anything this summer.  Either way I think the Rangers are paying a little more than they wanted to pay.

I always thought that Schneider is going to be offered something similar to Rask.  Doesn't have Rask's track record yet, but I think he'll realize that he has more bargaining power especially in light of what Lou had to trade to get him. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#10 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

Rask didn't really win that Cup, although he was on the roster.

exactly. and therein lies the problem. worries me about our ability to lock Cory up.

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#11 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,825 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

And the King of No Rings will continue to be just that.

:yay:

#12 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,168 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Yeah but expectations are that the cap will go up significantly, some say $10 mil this off-season and be around $80 mil by 2015.. No doubt he's now expected to win a Cup, and I do think his best days are behind him, but I still can't see it being so bad long-term if the cap goes up as sharply as is expected

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#13 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 12:56 PM

Time will tell. If the smaller equipment truly has an adverse effect on his game, this will be a disaster for them.  If not, it's not surprising for NYC's team to overpay.

GO COREY!!!

#14 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:00 PM

exactly. and therein lies the problem. worries me about our ability to lock Cory up.

There really shouldn't be any need to worry.  From a financial standpoint, the new owners have committed to paying whatever is necessary to make the team a cup contender (at least that's what they have said).  The money is clearly there to pay him a Rask type deal, and we can offer the 8th year that no other team can.  IMO, the only issue becomes if he wants out of NJ for some reason (i.e. Brodeur just won't ever retire and he is tired of splitting time year after year).

As for the Queen, it is a fair deal short term (not too much higher than he is already making), but could turn very bad long term.  The Rags had no choice here and these numbers are exactly where most people were predicting for him.  Hopefully he continues to deteriorate in his play year to year and that team wins nothing with him in net.

Posted Image

#15 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Yeah but expectations are that the cap will go up significantly, some say $10 mil this off-season and be around $80 mil by 2015.. No doubt he's now expected to win a Cup, and I do think his best days are behind him, but I still can't see it being so bad long-term if the cap goes up as sharply as is expected

The problem isn't just the cap hit.  It's the expectations.  $8M isn't likely to be the salary for an average starting goalie even when Lundqvist is much older, but it'll be closer.  Still, with what the Devils have been through with Brodeur - it's now going on 4 years that he has been a well below average NHL goalie and has received more starts than his backup and has cost $20 million on the cap - it's that Lundqvist is going to be expected to be Lundqvist when he's not.  It's one thing to have a guy gobbling up your cap space and not performing at an elite level - it's still a problem even if he's not a cap issue, if they're expecting The Great Lundqvist and they get a .905 SV% guy out there who is actively costing the team games.  I don't think it's particularly likely to happen soon, but the Devils have dealt with it about as badly as you can manage - it's a bigger problem than GMs realize.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#16 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:28 PM

He's clearly their #1 and taking off the hatred colored glasses, he is a top goalie.  You can't let that talent go at that position if its already on your roster.  Sure we can take cheap shots at him (which I enjoy BTW) but the Rangers HAD to do this.  If they low balled him and he walked we'd kill the Rangers for being stupid. 

Edited by devilsadvoc8, 04 December 2013 - 01:28 PM.

Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#17 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:45 PM

He's clearly their #1 and taking off the hatred colored glasses, he is a top goalie. You can't let that talent go at that position if its already on your roster. Sure we can take cheap shots at him (which I enjoy BTW) but the Rangers HAD to do this. If they low balled him and he walked we'd kill the Rangers for being stupid.

this is definitely true, but what tri said about the final years when he's pushing 40 and is getting paid 11 million is also true.

They needed to resign him, and the with the cap going up the contract may never hinder them, but he could still look bad putting up average numbers at that high cap hit.

#18 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,116 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:46 PM

The problem isn't just the cap hit.  It's the expectations.  $8M isn't likely to be the salary for an average starting goalie even when Lundqvist is much older, but it'll be closer.  Still, with what the Devils have been through with Brodeur - it's now going on 4 years that he has been a well below average NHL goalie and has received more starts than his backup and has cost $20 million on the cap - it's that Lundqvist is going to be expected to be Lundqvist when he's not.  It's one thing to have a guy gobbling up your cap space and not performing at an elite level - it's still a problem even if he's not a cap issue, if they're expecting The Great Lundqvist and they get a .905 SV% guy out there who is actively costing the team games.  I don't think it's particularly likely to happen soon, but the Devils have dealt with it about as badly as you can manage - it's a bigger problem than GMs realize.

I know you tend to look at these things from a very forensic POV, re:  Brodeur, but you have to stop making it sound like Brodeur has been consistently below average for the entire balance of the past three seasons.  What he's been is inconsistent, with the lows being painful-to-watch bad.  He was fine over the second half of 2010-11, and I've repeatedly pointed out the 50-game-or-so stretch of .920 save% play he provided all the way through the end of the 2012 playoffs.  He wasn't very good for much of last year's shortened season, and the backup was actually worse, and Brodeur also missed time to injury to boot.  This season has been a microcosm of the last three (inconsistency), and I definitely don't expect his play to get much better than what we've seen, which means the #1 job will be Schneider's to lose soon enough, IF he can stay healthy and IF he can put together a nice stretch that forces DeBoer's hand.  But it has NOT been three years of constant suckage.

When you say the Devils have dealt with it about as badly as you can manage, what should they have done differently?   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 04 December 2013 - 01:46 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#19 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

One of the most expensive mattresses ever.

#20 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,947 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

He needs them and they need him.  At least he's not going to Pittsburgh now.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users