#1 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

NBAlulz.jpg

It appears that the NBA is now handing out red cards to unruly fans at games. Now as stereotypical as it is for the new owners to one day do something like this, my question isn't whether or not OUR owners would more or less start handing similar versions of these out. Rather, would these things fly in the NHL at all? To me, fans do the paying to be there, and last time I checked, fans also buy the merchandise and pay teams bills by showing support... Even if they want to shout a few obscenities, as long as they aren't physically hurting anyone or being too profane, derogatory, or downright stupid, why can't they express themselves vocally or with gestures at a game?

I expect lots of backlash from this. Especally in the off-chance a similar rule ever makes it's way into the NHL. It's just unwarranted policing IMO.

Edited by TheMazz, 05 December 2013 - 01:50 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#2 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Goal song argument in 5...4...3...2...

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#3 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:36 PM

Well prudential center technically has a rule that no fan can physically or verbally abuse another fan, an employee, athlete, coachs, or refs. Or anyone when you get right down to it.

Devils.

#4 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:39 PM

It appears that the NBA is now handing out red cards to unruly fans at games. Now as stereotypical as it is for the new owners to one day do something like this, my question isn't whether or not OUR owners would more or less start handing similar versions of these out. Rather, would these things fly in the NHL at all? To me, fans do the paying to be there, and last time I checked, fans also buy the merchandise and pay teams bills by showing support... Even if they want to shout a few obscenities, as long as they aren't physically hurting anyone or being too profane, derogatory, or downright stupid, why can't they express themselves vocally or with gestures at a game?

I expect lots of backlash from this. Especally in the off-chance a similar rule ever makes it's way into the NHL. It's just unwarranted policing IMO.

This is going to be the issue, right here. Who decides what is TOO profane, derogatory, stupid, etc? More than likely, the answer will be the people who own and operate the buildings.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#5 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:50 PM

I doubt they hand these out after you just curse once, so let's not exaggerate there. The person was probably being excessive and that card was warranted.

This is going to be the issue, right here. Who decides what is TOO profane, derogatory, stupid, etc? More than likely, the answer will be the people who own and operate the buildings.

And right now their code of conduct basically says it's one strike and you are out. This at least gives you a warning.

#6 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

I do think, the big difference here however is how much closer you are to players when you sit at a basketball game then at a hockey game. Hockey players can actually curse on-ice. NBA players can't curse on court because the fans would hear.

Still it all depends when ushers or whoever issues these little things decide that "line" has been crossed. If it's slurs and hate speech then...OK understandable. But if you hand it out for something like jeering other players or the opposing team then that's too much.

Edited by TheMazz, 05 December 2013 - 01:53 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#7 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

They were going to do this, but deemed it too costly:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=LE3oczJ1zgM

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#8 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,029 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 01:58 PM

Nanny state. fvck that, hey you suck

#9 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:09 PM

Ya think? It's unfortunate but fans need to realize they don't own their teams, and the people/person who does has a right to establish certain rules of acceptable behavior in their building.

Sorry that might have been a little too sarcastic but the bottom line is fans have a choice- you pay for the product and follow the rules or you save your money to spend it elsewhere.

Fandom is really interesting in that it sometimes blinds people to the reality of the situation- it's a business and they are a paying customer, not a part of the team.

#10 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:10 PM

Nanny state. fvck that, hey you suck

I'm shocked this wasn't implimented in NY (at least) sooner.

n2eg.jpg

#11 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,316 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

fvck that. I paid for my ticket, I'll heckle any player or coach I want. This society, it just gets more PC and pussified by the day, I can't take it.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#12 Namelesz

Namelesz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

I can see this start first in LA. Then NY will have to follow quickly. 

#13 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:17 PM

fvck that. I paid for my ticket, I'll heckle any player or coach I want. This society, it just gets more PC and pussified by the day, I can't take it.

just playing devils advocate but on that ticket it specifically states the fan code of conduct which you agree to follow when purchasing.

#14 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:24 PM

I know that feel bro.

n2eg.jpg

#15 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Ah ah, you used two questionable words there.  I'm going to have to report this post to a moderator, hopefully he sends you a severe warning.  Tsk tsk, what if a child read this post?

:argh:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#16 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:25 PM

Translation of this card:   Those of you in the "entitlement crowd" who feel it's my RIGHT to do what I want, when I want, even if it's at the expense of other fans....GTFO.  

I'd give these out to everyone doing the stupid Rangers/Flyers/Crosby chant.  Actually, they should just eject them without a warning.

Edited by Z-Man, 05 December 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#17 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Translation of this card:   Those of you in the "entitlement crowd" who feel it's my RIGHT to do what I want, when I want, even if it's at the expense of other fans....GTFO.  

I'd give these out to everyone doing the stupid Rangers/Flyers/Crosby chant.  Actually, they should just eject them without a warning.

Ugh, the "entitlement crowd", really? It's a freaking sporting event, deal with it. Loud boisterous and offensive atmospheres have been a staple of sporting events since the goddamn Roman gladiators, put on your earmuffs or get a luxury suite if it offends you.

Edited by DJ Eco, 05 December 2013 - 02:41 PM.

#18 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,020 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Ugh, the "entitlement crowd", really? It's a freaking sporting event, deal with it. Loud boisterous and offensive atmospheres have been a staple of sporting events since the goddamn Roman gladiators, put on your earmuffs or get a luxury suite if it offends you.

Loud and boisterous, yes.  I (and many others) don't want to deal with the drunk loudmouth sitting behind be dropping f-bombs all night.

Tell ya what, I'll come with you to a movie and talk through the whole thing, maybe even use my cell phone.  Because I paid for my ticket, I'll do what I want.  It doesn't say on the ticket "no talking," and it's not ruining MY experience.

#19 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,492 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:46 PM

Loud and boisterous, yes.  I (and many others) don't want to deal with the drunk loudmouth sitting behind be dropping f-bombs all night.

Tell ya what, I'll come with you to a movie and talk through the whole thing, maybe even use my cell phone.  Because I paid for my ticket, I'll do what I want.  It doesn't say on the ticket "no talking," and it's not ruining MY experience.

It actually clearly tells you on the pre-preview video to not use your cell phone or talk or disturb the people around you, at just about every movie theater since the 50s.

#20 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:47 PM

if you went to the grocery store and started yelling obscenities at potatoes, would you expect store management to put a stop to it?

Yeah yeah I know you'll say it's different at a sporting event but the truth is both are public places and a certain level of decorum should be required in both.

I'm not advocating for a silent arena where everyone sits on their hands, but just cuz you pay for the ticket doesn't give you free reign to do or say what you want, and it says that on the ticket when you buy it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users