#1 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:37 AM

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1552249

Poor SOB. He will never ever live up to that contract. 

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#2 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:20 AM

http://hfboards.hock...d.php?t=1552249

Poor SOB. He will never ever live up to that contract.

gg

I read the posts. I feel the same way about Clowe

#3 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:43 AM

Well read a lot posts and there are quite a bit intelligent ones who disagree and says he's been fine.

#4 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:36 AM

gg

I read the posts. I feel the same way about Clowe

Now, while I reckon we will feel the same way about Clowe, let the guy play some games first. Guy has played six games two months ago. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#5 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:15 AM

Now, while I reckon we will feel the same way about Clowe, let the guy play some games first. Guy has played six games two months ago.

Understood but playing doesn't make the contract any better. Doesn't shorten the length or low the yearly amount.

#6 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:27 AM

Understood but playing doesn't make the contract any better. Doesn't shorten the length or low the yearly amount.

Depends on how he plays. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#7 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:19 AM

578428_10153388888305300_983002883_n.jpg

www.SterioDesign.com

#8 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hahahahahahahaha

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#9 Dadds

Dadds

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:02 AM

Well, the expectations were absurdly high and we all know that he is a good player, especially in Deboers system but he is only good, not great. Although, I would have rather keep him over Clowe. At least his brain doesn't have the consistency of mashed potatoes.
"I think I'm going to become a Devils fan so they start never winning again." A sad flyers fan

"**** this. NJ might as well be allowed to build a brick wall in front of the net and let Marty sit on the bench. Would be no difference" A sad penguins fan

#10 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:12 AM

already talked about this in another thread
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#11 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,501 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

Predictable, but poor bastard. It's not his fault Toronto's brain trust decided he was Wendell Clark despite no evidence.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#12 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

How many times have we seen this?  When will GMs learn that overpaying will not make the overpaid player perform better than what he is? 

I never blamed Clarkson for taking the money (that was waaaaaay more than he ever had any right to expect), but as is always the case, once the lovefest press conferences and backpage news stories end, people expect production for those dollars. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#13 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,045 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:02 AM

This is one giant whatever. I'd enjoy rivals' failures a little more if the Devils didn't have there own. After all, the Devils replacement for David Clarkson is Ryane Clowe, a player that makes a smidgen less a season, who was coming off a season with as many goals as concussions. They committed a lot of years to him too, and guess what, shockingly he has missed most of the season so far with a concussion...and when he played...he was so slow and pretty awful.

So while we can say we told you so Toronto, the entire league can say we told you so about Ryane Clowe.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#14 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

This is one giant whatever. I'd enjoy rivals' failures a little more if the Devils didn't have there own. After all, the Devils replacement for David Clarkson is Ryane Clowe, a player that makes a smidgen less a season, who was coming off a season with as many goals as concussions. They committed a lot of years to him too, and guess what, shockingly he has missed most of the season so far with a concussion...and when he played...he was so slow and pretty awful.

So while we can say we told you so Toronto, the entire league can say we told you so about Ryane Clowe.

Clowe is an absolute disaster, no question, and like you point out, it's not like he didn't have a concussion history before this season.  Lou took a big gamble on that one and appears to have lost (for the moment, anyway). 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#15 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:10 AM

At this point I hope Lou uses his one remaining compliance buyout on Clowe.

#16 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,888 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:21 AM

If Clowe spends the majority of this contract on IR, it's paid by insurance, right?  So..beside the cap hit (which also gets removed if he's on LTIR I believe?) he's not really affecting anything by being injured..correct?

And yeah, when will GMs learn to not overpay for Devils players that excel in a system.  Holik, Gionta, Gomez, Clarkson, Parise in a few years..the list goes on.

Owners and GMs can (and will continue to) lock out the players all they want claiming they make too much money, but maybe the owners should stop buying into the hype machine and betting against each other every freakin offseason so these ridiculous contracts don't occur.

Clarkson return tour in about 3 years after he's bought out? 

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#17 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

i'd still hold on to Clowe, he's not playing a lot but he can score and produce. Volchenkov or Sal on the other hand has become useless. Even without those 2 we're one of the team allowing the less shots on net. 

We need scoring more than anything. Slow defensive dman who can barely handle the puck seems useless to me and expandable. They are getting beaten just as much as any of our more offensive guys, at least the offensive dmen are bringing points so its somewhat compensating. 

Edited by SterioDesign, 06 December 2013 - 10:22 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#18 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

But first he has to get up because he tripped over the blue line...again!

Can they use it one a player signed after the new CBA went into effect, or is it only reserved for signing that occurred as part of the last CBA?

If Clowe spends the majority of this contract on IR, it's paid by insurance, right?  So..beside the cap hit (which also gets removed if he's on LTIR I believe?) he's not really affecting anything by being injured..correct?

And yeah, when will GMs learn to not overpay for Devils players that excel in a system.  Holik, Gionta, Gomez, Clarkson, Parise in a few years..the list goes on.

Owners and GMs can (and will continue to) lock out the players all they want claiming they make too much money, but maybe the owners should stop buying into the hype machine and betting against each other every freakin offseason so these ridiculous contracts don't occur.

Parise is a straight up good player.  He would excel in any system.  While he is overpaid, to lump him in with players like Gomez, Holik, and Clarkson is unfair.

Posted Image

#19 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

you cannot use compliance buyouts for contracts signed after the new cba. Per the last line in this page of capgeek:

http://www.capgeek.c...do-buyouts-work

Also, the difference between clowe and clarkson is the hype that the respective fanbase and organization gave to the signing. The contracts are equally as bad but Toronto has been hyping clarkson like he is bringing then a cup single handedly.

#20 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:37 AM

In fairness, the guys on that list really didn't perform that badly (not at first, anyway), and Parise is putting up Parise-like numbers in Minnesota (still vastly overpriced though).  Holik and Gomez actually performed at the level they should've been expected to as Rangers, but Sather is one of those idiots who thinks paying guys like superstars and bringing them to Broadway is somehow going to make them exponentially better than they really are, and the idiot Ranger fans bought into that as well.  Gionta was overpaid, but definitely not to the silly level that Holik and Gomez were, and to his credit, he did score 57 goals in his first two Canadien seasons...and is their captain to boot. 

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users