148 replies to this topic

#121 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:59 PM

I would blame the schedule for this loss (10 games in 17 days with a West Coast swing thrown in is absolutely ridiculous), if not for Pete's horrendous roster management.  When you have four forwards that play >12 minutes and bench Loiktionov - who barely played above 12 minutes - it shouldn't come as much of a surprise when the few guys you do trust and run into the ground finally energy crash.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#122 volchenkov28

volchenkov28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

I just want to know what Deboer said after the game? It's prolly sumthing with dig deep and chipping away

#123 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

debos post game made sense to me;

basically that there were a few chances

and those should have equaled 3 goals against.

Posted Image

#124 volchenkov28

volchenkov28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:08 PM

Ahhhh ok. Which makes sense

#125 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

sometimes, even when the moves you make have reason, they just don't work out. i don't hate the roster construction - it makes a lot of sense. these guys just do not produce - that's all there is to it.

the problem isn't that the 4th line doesn't score. but when you dress janssen and then have to shorten your bench. when you choose not to trust josefson - you burn out jagr (who again looked bad after the first 5 minutes) and there's just nothing there.

zajac is playing well - he just doesn't score.

elias has not played well.

henrique not only isn't scoring, but he's playing poorly in all 3 zones.

zidlicky should shoot himself.

and the PP needs to get completely thrown out - there's just no fvcking clue there.

they played well for 40 minutes in montreal. they dominated the worst team in the league in the sabres and won 1-0 in OT.

guys - this is just not a good team and it's going to be a frustrating season. for every step forward, its 2-3 steps back.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#126 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,569 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

I don't think Tedenby and Josefson would earn the coach's trust even without that.  Josefson in particular was really bad on the one PK where the Devils got hemmed in their own zone.  When healthy they have the depth for 4 lines but right now with 3 injuries and Olesz leaving, I don't think they'd have it.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#127 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:13 PM

I don't know why anyone is down on PDB after this game, we don't have scoring talent. I like his system it IS creating chances, we just don't bury them. The one knock on pete has been his terrible management of personnel, I have no complaints with who he went with tonight. Unless you are from an alternate reality where this was the game brunner started producing and had 2 goals.

And for bigz roasting Henrique, Henrique was basically robbed by a ridiculous behind the back no look save, barring a heroic goal tending effort there he would have scored. He is clearly a little hurt but there are people I would be more quick to bench then him. And that last goal, I mean that was threaded through such a small space that could have happened to everyone on our roster.

We just don't bury them? fvck, we don't even take the shots. It's so unbelievably frustrating that they just show NO URGENCY WHATSOEVER! Down a goal late in the 3rd? No-look drop pass to no one. Like, are you fvcking kidding me? I've been to some sh!tty games this year, but this one was the most boring lackluster effort yet. It was legitimately embarrassing. I've been frustrated with DeBo, but I'm officially on the fire him bandwagon for good. It's time for a change.

believe-devs.jpg

#128 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure we tied our franchise low for SOG in a game. And I only know that because we already came close to doing so once this season before tonight. That's just hilariously bad.

believe-devs.jpg

#129 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,569 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

sometimes, even when the moves you make have reason, they just don't work out. i don't hate the roster construction - it makes a lot of sense. these guys just do not produce - that's all there is to it.

the problem isn't that the 4th line doesn't score. but when you dress janssen and then have to shorten your bench. when you choose not to trust josefson - you burn out jagr (who again looked bad after the first 5 minutes) and there's just nothing there.

zajac is playing well - he just doesn't score.

elias has not played well.

henrique not only isn't scoring, but he's playing poorly in all 3 zones.

zidlicky should shoot himself.

and the PP needs to get completely thrown out - there's just no fvcking clue there.

they played well for 40 minutes in montreal. they dominated the worst team in the league in the sabres and won 1-0 in OT.

guys - this is just not a good team and it's going to be a frustrating season. for every step forward, its 2-3 steps back.

It's a good team, but it exists on thin margins.  When the goaltending is elite, which it can be consistently, it wins.  When it's not, it doesn't work.  Loktionov has improved some, but yeah, I don't think Elias is 100% and right now it's hurting the team because Henrique can't pick it up at all.

#130 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,569 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:20 PM

Also, I'm pretty sure we tied our franchise low for SOG in a game. And I only know that because we already came close to doing so once this season before tonight. That's just hilariously bad.

The Devils didn't get many shots tonight, but they got more than 11.  The scorer is just hilariously inept.

#131 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:24 PM

It's a good team, but it exists on thin margins.  When the goaltending is elite, which it can be consistently, it wins.  When it's not, it doesn't work.  Loktionov has improved some, but yeah, I don't think Elias is 100% and right now it's hurting the team because Henrique can't pick it up at all.

Devils have been shut out five times and held to one goal six times (and needed OT to score that one goal in one of those games).  That's asking a lot of your goalies, even elite ones.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#132 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

Devils have been shut out five times and held to one goal six times (and needed OT to score that one goal in one of those games).  That's asking a lot of your goalies, even elite ones.   

Ya know, I thought the same thing. It's tough trying to gage it from the other end of the ice when you're there, but multiple times early on I thought I saw shots get through and I'd look up and it would still be at 0 SOG. Still, I would really love to see them shoot more, ESPECIALLY on the PP. Early on when they were actually scoring on it a few games in a row, it was because they were firing away and getting rebounds and garbage goals, then they just stopped. Drives me nuts.

believe-devs.jpg

#133 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

Ya know, I thought the same thing. It's tough trying to gage it from the other end of the ice when you're there, but multiple times early on I thought I saw shots get through and I'd look up and it would still be at 0 SOG. Still, I would really love to see them shoot more, ESPECIALLY on the PP. Early on when they were actually scoring on it a few games in a row, it was because they were firing away and getting rebounds and garbage goals, then they just stopped. Drives me nuts.

I think you meant to quote Tri, but I remember thinking something was wrong with the scoreboard in the first period, as far as the shot count went...seemed like it was at zero for longer than it should have been.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#134 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,569 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:31 PM

I agree, but the PP has improved with Gelinas.  It has to improve with everyone else.

It's a shame because Brunner brings exactly what this team needs but he can't get it together.  Also Boucher was completely absent tonight, but so was that line.

And yeah, the shots thing is just getting ridiculous.  The scorer was always bad but this year he seems worse.

Edited by Triumph, 06 December 2013 - 11:35 PM.

#135 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,378 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:37 PM

Devils seem like a pretty good on-paper team that just doesn't seem to be clicking often enough...getting held to one goal or less in 36.6% of the games played to date with this group is shocking.  I don't pretend to know what the answer is, but I don't blame DeBoer for rolling the dice by scratching Brunner...maybe that wakes him up. 

#30 FOREVER!

#136 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:51 PM

Just got back from the Rock, that was pathetic; all of it. Can't really handle too many losses anymore, getting really sick of it. Judging by the attendance this year, everyone's a little sick of it.

#137 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,989 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:31 AM

I just don't understand why the Devils are undercounted attendance this year, and now undercounting their own shots. I know in the past they did that for Devils opponents (for example Toronto got more than 6 in that famous playoff game) but that was to shame the opposition...this year the Devils are almost trying to embarrass themselves.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#138 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:22 AM

I didn't see this one (nor do I see many, because even if they were on the DVR, they're normally getting erased), but man, I know they keep shots down, but they are playing some games that look damn regressive on the stat sheet.

#139 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:29 AM

I just don't understand why the Devils are undercounted attendance this year, and now undercounting their own shots. I know in the past they did that for Devils opponents (for example Toronto got more than 6 in that famous playoff game) but that was to shame the opposition...this year the Devils are almost trying to embarrass themselves.

Our shot count tonight is one of the headlines on NHL.com... Embarrassing... :doh1:

#140 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:30 AM

Can't believe I stayed up for this sh!t.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users