308 replies to this topic

#241 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:35 PM

Marty played pretty good. He had ton of good saves when we did need it and Cory's been real shaky lately. Either goalie. We would a won and we did.

He also let in two bad goals.  Bad goal to Richards on a slow moving wrist shot, and he moved very slowly getting back in position for the Zuc goal.  Neither should have ended up in the net.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#242 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

Won't have a perfect game every game. He played good in the third period. We won..he wasn't horrible. Brunner sucks. That's all that matters

#243 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

Firstly, since I rip Deboer for playing the likes of Janssen and Sestito all the time...they were great. It was the line that the Devils needed yesterday. It kind of irks me that Deboer said the other day that these two have been excellent and bring all this energy all the time. It wasn't true, but last night was the kind of game that finally backed up what Deboer has been saying and sees with these players. I don't think we'll be seeing them out of the lineup until Carter and Gionta return. Speaking of high praise, it was pretty laughable the amount of praise Deboer gave Harrold. Might see Fayne back out if Harrold was that "excellent".

You have to give coaches some leeway to praise people.  Harrold hasn't played in 3 weeks and he goes in there and does okay.  That can't be easy - the team hasn't even had a full practice in weeks.

Secondly, everyone has already praised Gelinas, so there isn't too much to add there (he has been a revelation), but last night was the kind of game that shows that Zidlicky is pretty expendable now. Now, do I want him gone and both Sal and Volch back in the lineup...not exactly. But with more puck movers in the lineup and Zidlicky not really doing much for the PP, it's pretty clear he is not needed anymore. He still can add a lot, but he needs to show it.

This I agree with and Zidlicky's biggest problem is that his ability to drive play at even strength has either diminished or gone away.  I can't think of a team that really needs him, though.

Thirdly, great to see Ryder get going. That shot is a weapon the Devils haven't had in a long time and desperately need. The problem with Ryder has always been that he just doesn't get many shots going. When he goes on long scoring droughts, it usually means he just isn't getting shots on goal.

I don't really agree with this.  Ryder isn't getting enough shots on goal in general but he was still getting some shots, they just weren't going in.

Lastly, really sh!tty penalties from Brunner. Unacceptable stuff. And he was actually playing fairly well for once too. I'd like them to go with Tedenby next game for Brunner and give him a shot playing with Elias.  

The same Tedenby with as many minor penalties as shots on goal?  No thanks.  Mattias Tedenby does not belong in the NHL.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#244 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:05 PM

Right on. Love how we've taken to invading the Garden.

Nice to hear some serious Devils support at the worlds most famous toilet last night. But, it would be nice if our fans invaded the Rock every once in a while.
Posted Image

#245 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:11 PM

that rebound is exactly what a good goalie tries to do with that shot- send it hard and high to the opposite side if the ice. It was great awareness by Callahan to shoot it hard to Marty's pad because he knew the rebound was going to the open guy on the other side.
The blame for that is on the forward who should be back checking zucarrello.

Exactly. To blame Brodeur for that goal is ridiculous.
Posted Image

#246 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

You mean the guy open on the absolute other side way above the circle, and Brodeur couldn't get over to make a stop?  It's one thing to allow a rebound on a 2 on 1 - yeah, that's how it goes.  It's another to let one in to the guy way above the circle.

Edited by Triumph, 08 December 2013 - 07:20 PM.

#247 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:25 PM

You mean the guy open on the absolute other side way above the circle, and Brodeur couldn't get over to make a stop?  It's one thing to allow a rebound on a 2 on 1 - yeah, that's how it goes.  It's another to let one in to the guy way above the circle.

He is moving slow these days

#248 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Exactly. To blame Brodeur for that goal is ridiculous.

The problem is that he was too slow getting back into position.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#249 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:57 PM

It was a bang-bang play and a difficult save for any goalie to make. A butterfly goalie would have had a better chance because they are already down on the ice, but you make it seem as if it should have been routine, which it wasn't.
Posted Image

#250 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

We base our future defense on those three guys. And Severson is waiting in the wings as well.

Has Burlon done anything worthwhile lately?

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#251 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

It was a bang-bang play and a difficult save for any goalie to make. A butterfly goalie would have had a better chance because they are already down on the ice, but you make it seem as if it should have been routine, which it wasn't.

I don't really have to break down which goals of Brodeur's are soft and which aren't at this point.  We just know that he gives up goals that other goalies don't because it is reflected in his save percentage the last 4 years.  I think that's a save Schneider makes more often than he doesn't.

#252 David Puddy

David Puddy

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,281 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

The butthurt from Rag fans is strong on the Cam goal. I don't see how anyone can call it a DISTINCT kicking motion.

I wish Brunner had Cam's passion and drive, although he had a better game. Cam gets ribbed here a lot, but man he gives no less than 100%

I love that NHL.com shows multiple replays for every goal except that one. I figure they don't want the fans to criticize controversial decisions

Posted Image

#253 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,862 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Has Burlon done anything worthwhile lately?

I'm starting to think Burlon might be one of those career AHL guys, we drafted him 5 years ago and he hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#254 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

I'm starting to think Burlon might be one of those career AHL guys, we drafted him 5 years ago and he hasn't even played an NHL game yet.

Fair. I was hoping otherwise, but still, if Severson pans out, that's 4 big time dmen in a short time, assuming Gelly, Merrill, and Larsson keep playing well.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#255 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,671 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Maybe he's our new OMG (I forget how to spell his name) that we'll only see if things go catastrophically wrong 

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#256 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,889 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

He didn't get called up when the Devils were down to their 10th D.  If he hangs around in the organization it'll be as filler only.

#257 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

He also let in two bad goals.  Bad goal to Richards on a slow moving wrist shot, and he moved very slowly getting back in position for the Zuc goal.  Neither should have ended up in the net.

I thought if Greene committed more to taking away the pass, Brodeur could have faced Richards 1 on 1 and wouldn't have been beaten bad, but he gave up a 2 on 1 goal to the hottest shooter on the team, he's let up worse goals. The Zuccarello goal was just a good play by Callahan to set up a rebound, also thought the defensemen was a little bit at fault because he (forget who it was, maybe Volch?) was in better position to get in front of it than Marty and looked reluctant.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#258 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:12 PM

1451390_641922579204613_1820555526_n.jpg

n2eg.jpg

#259 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:27 PM

What's funny about this, is that we could stand to get older, we're like 3/4 AHL in our forward group lol.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#260 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

is that supposed to be serious or is it supposed to be a parody of the rangers fanbase? I honestly can't tell because it's so ridiculous.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users