#41 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:14 AM

keep them coming bud

Edited by SterioDesign, 12 December 2013 - 08:15 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#42 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

I don't feel very good about being one game out in a division that is very weak like Metro.

We could've been in a strong division. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#43 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:24 AM

By far and away the best post you've ever made...I actually did wonder for a split-second if Brylin18 was you...you two should have plenty to PM and PMS about...

In a way i don't agree with the OP he's a bit too extreme... but reading through post here, i also don't agree with posters who absolutely refuse to admit that we're in trouble now not because our stars aged or got injured but because of the bad long term decisions Lou took and will simply point out the good moves he made.

Edited by SterioDesign, 12 December 2013 - 08:47 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#44 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

this season is a waste of my time. this is a horribly mediocre team.

does lou lamoriello honestly believe that this team can win a stanley cup? look at this sh!t team.....its a joke.

it seems lou is content in having one of those middling teams that makes the playoffs some years and promptly get bounced out, or scrapes and claws its way through the end of the year only to get eliminated from playoff contention after losing a deciding regular season game to the fvcking carolina hurricanes in some stupid anti-climatic playoff "push", after marty goddamn brodeur lets in a goal with 3.8 seconds left in the motherfvcking game.

why we are keeping this piece of trash team afloat with guys like fvcking jaromir jagr or michael ryder? are you kidding me with this lou?

jagr is a guy that the boston bruins acquire on their way to a stanley cup run. he should not be a team's leading motherfvcking scorer!

and the worst part is it's not going to get any better! what do i have to look forward to next year? a solid young defense and a good goaltender, ok, yes.....where are the goals gonna come from lou?! this forward unit is pathetic group. there's no way that they can be counted on to score for sh!t.

my question to lou is this: when did it become acceptable for you to ice mediocre teams that have NO chance in winning a stanley cup?

Horribly mediocre. Thats an oxymoron. This team is mediocre. So you squeeze into the playoffs and hopefully get hot at the right time. Jesus christ is this your first year as a hockey fan? Relax

#45 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:31 AM

We could've been in a strong division. 

If we were, there wouldn't be all this hysteria about the Devils making the playoffs as a measurement of a good team.

#46 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,135 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:35 AM

Lets hope most of our yong D prospects become NHL viable players.

Keep the best 6, and trade the rest for forwards.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#47 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,487 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:41 AM

Look, this was bound to happen, the Dynasty (95-03) was built mostly through the draft, and its really hard to do that when you are picking at the bottom every year, while this year is frustrating, the kids keep me excited every game.

And IMHO this is good compared to the 1st round exits in 97-99 when we were the best team in the eastern conf.!

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#48 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:56 AM

Look, this was bound to happen, the Dynasty (95-03) was built mostly through the draft, and its really hard to do that when you are picking at the bottom every year, while this year is frustrating, the kids keep me excited every game.

And IMHO this is good compared to the 1st round exits in 97-99 when we were the best team in the eastern conf.!

What's better being Eastern Div best team and getting bounced in the first round or missing the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and having a team like we have today? Probably if we make the playoffs this season we get bounced again in 1st round.what do you think?

#49 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

In a way i don't agree with the OP he's a bit too extreme... but reading through post here, i also don't agree with posters who absolutely refuse to admit that we're in trouble now not because our stars aged or got injured but because of the bad long term decisions Lou took and will simply point out the good moves he made.

It always goes back to the same thing...guys like you and brylin18 simply don't realize that even the very best GMs make mistakes and have moves not work out for them, and sometimes that can happen in bunches.  If you're criticizing every misstep Lou makes, then you're pretty much expecting perfection or something close to it. 

There are reasons for optimism.  Some young defensemen with upside are playing with the big club.  There's a terrific puck-stopping goalie who will help, once DeBoer realizes it and gives him a real chance to prove it.  Some of the Lost Scorers' Club is coming to life.  Boucher is getting a chance, though we don't know what he's going to be.

It's not all perfect, and not having a first-round pick this year sucks, and that one can be coughed up to inexcusable arrogance on Lou's part...he was warned not to go through with Kovy Contract #1, but gave the NHL the finger and had a press conference to boot.  Did he really think the league was just going to sit there and take it?  Lou has always such a knowing finger on the pulse of NHL (it's how he was able to get Stevens as compensation for Shanahan), so he REALLY should've known better.   

Anyway, I don't the future is really THAT bad.  It's cloudy, but not stormy, and I can see rays of sunshine peeking through. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 12 December 2013 - 11:07 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#50 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:44 AM

Lol I'm sure the op is also a giants fan complaining the team will miss the playoffs this year after winning 2 super bowls in 7 years.

If you can't handle some struggling seasons by all means look at some of our biggest rivals and see if you'd like to be in their shoes. Only the penguins have had consistent success the past decade and that was a result of being pathetic for years to the point where they nearly left town, and had to tank for Crosby and Malkin.

I'll take 20 years of cup contention if it meant 2 down years and a mediocre year. And also op you ask what is there to look forward to and then answer the question with good defense and goaltending... Then pine for the days of Stevens and niedermeyer! Make up your mind!

#51 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 09:57 AM

What's better being Eastern Div best team and getting bounced in the first round or missing the playoffs 2 out of 3 years and having a team like we have today? Probably if we make the playoffs this season we get bounced again in 1st round.what do you think?

Depends on the situation. 97-99 we had a team that was built to win. When they lost, it was a wasted season. This team is a couple years away, probably, so getting guys like Merrill, Gelly, Larsson, maybe Boucher some playoff experience and building off the good feelings that come from making it, especially in a tight race, would be a win, even if it's a result of playing in a crappy division.

Considering we, for better or worse, planned our future around Kovy and, again for better or worse, he left. we could be in much worse shape. IMO, aside from taking Matteau after making the finals and losing a better pick this year, and probably the Clowe signing, Lou has done everything right. Considering the situation, and how active he's been, that's pretty good. I think this team is building toward something, unlike somebody like the Isles, who look like a first round exit for the foreseeable future DESPITE sucking enough for years to get Tavares. 

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#52 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

The Matteau pick is not bad unless we are in the lottery this year. If Matteau winds up being a third liner that's not a bad pick as a late first rounder.

The clowe signing is not bad either so long as he's able to get back on the ice and stay there. In two years his cap hit will be nothing compared to the cap increase and will probably look good if he's able to contribute as a second line winger with some grit.

#53 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I loved kovy, alot, but let's be honest he hardly ever did anything in 5on5 play. He made our sh!t power play look pretty good, he was even a threat on the PK against weaker units. But he really never could play the forecheck and hardly generated opportunites outside of some good neutral zone passes. His loss can be absorbed through the players we picked up, Ryder + Jagr have made up that point production imo.

Our biggest concern over the last couple of years was goal tender, we had no idea who would be in net or if anyone in the system was any good. We have a potential top 5/elite goal tender now, our D and goal is probably shored up for the next 5-10 years (as long as we can resign schenider and the kids continue their out standing performance). We have time to draft fowards, the only problem I have with lou is his decision to draft matteu instead of surrendering that pick. If matteu turns into a good player, then fine all is forgiven, but on paper it looks stupid.

So the future,

Goal tending : Solid

Defense : Solid

So look at the young fowards,

Henrique is still young, and is a very well rounded player (could use some more offensive boost) Def a good piece for the future

Loktionov, seems like hes taken a step back the past few weeks, I wonder if that has to do with his linemates. Anyway still another good foward piece for the future if things pan out

Reid Boucher, dont think hes gnna be the next stamkos but hes got potential.

And matteau is having a good year in albany now, he's probably at worst a solid 3rd line player if he continues his development.

I mean that is our future (lokti aside), is that really so bad? If we had a a superstar player, if we had kovalchuk still or praise, would you really be so down on this team?

#54 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

It always goes back to the same thing...guys like you and brylin18 simply don't realize that even the very best GMs make mistakes and have moves not work out for them, and sometimes that can happen in bunches.  If you're criticizing every misstep Lou makes, then you're pretty much expecting perfection or something close to it. 

There are reasons for optimism.  Some young defensemen with upside are playing with the big club.  There's a terrific puck-stopping goalie who will help, once DeBoer realizes it and gives him a real chance to prove it.  Some of the Lost Scorers' Club is coming to life.  Boucher is getting a chance, though we don't know what he's going to be.

It's not all perfect, and not having a first-round pick this year sucks, and that one can be coughed up to inexcusable arrogance on Lou's part...he was warned not to go through with Kovy Contract #1, but gave the NHL the finger and had a press conference to boot.  Did he really think the league was just going to sit there and take it?  Lou has always such a knowing finger on the pulse of NHL (it's how he was able to get Stevens as compensation for Shanahan), so he REALLY should've known better.   

Anyway, I don't the future is really THAT bad.  It's cloudy, but not stormy, and I can rays of sunshine peeking through. 

well there you said it. Anyone making decisions will likely have bad ones, you can never be perfect, it can always go either way. Some players won't pan out etc etc the only thing i hate about Lou is this. It's never that he take a bad decisions that doesnt pan out really that is pissing me off it's that he's doing thing in such an arrogant and hard nose way refusing to adjust and see outside of his box, then when it bites you back it's even more frustrating cause if he wouldnt be so damn stubborn then better results would have come with it. 

So his arrogance / stubborness has cost the team lately. Of course that too can go both ways, we got good deals because he was like that.

www.SterioDesign.com

#55 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:19 AM

Sterio, I'm putting you on the trade block. Future considerations is a sufficient compensation.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,797 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:34 AM

Our biggest concern over the last couple of years was goal tender, we had no idea who would be in net or if anyone in the system was any good. We have a potential top 5/elite goal tender now, our D and goal is probably shored up for the next 5-10 years (as long as we can resign schenider and the kids continue their out standing performance). We have time to draft fowards, the only problem I have with lou is his decision to draft matteu instead of surrendering that pick. If matteu turns into a good player, then fine all is forgiven, but on paper it looks stupid.

I mean that is our future (lokti aside), is that really so bad? If we had a a superstar player, if we had kovalchuk still or praise, would you really be so down on this team?

I have to take issue with the idea that Lou decided to draft Stefan Matteau instead of giving up the pick.  That's not the calculus at all - he had to decide after the Cup Finals whether or not to give up the pick.  That Stefan Matteau happens to be the guy taken with the pick, and that NJ didn't trade it away or pick someone else has no bearing on Matteau the player or what came afterwards.

Edited by Triumph, 12 December 2013 - 10:39 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#57 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,819 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

I have to take issue with the idea that Lou decided to draft Stefan Matteau instead of giving up the pick.  That's not the calculus at all - he had to decide after the Cup Finals whether or not to give up the pick.  That Stefan Matteau happens to be the guy taken with the pick, and that NJ didn't trade it away or pick someone else has no bearing on Matteau the player or what came afterwards.

And again, what you hear was that Lou was taking a calculated risk that Subban or Vasilevisky would be available. 

Re Kovalchuk from Sneax's post.  I remember him being a beast on the forecheck, although maybe the spreadsheet will say something different.  Just look at the game winning goal in game 5 against the Rangers.  That was entirely a product of excellent forechecking by Kovalchuk.

Otherwise, regarding the future, while I recognize there's a tendency for fans, including myself, to overrate their own team's prospects, in 3-4 years, the Devils could might have one of the best defense corps in the NHL.

Edited by Daniel, 12 December 2013 - 10:42 AM.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#58 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

4b3932befb1f6448c5e68fc1f19e9291.jpg you_mad1.jpg 1328865424_why-you-mad-tho1.jpg

Edited by gardenstatepkwy, 12 December 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#59 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,797 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 10:58 AM

And again, what you hear was that Lou was taking a calculated risk that Subban or Vasilevisky would be available. 

Re Kovalchuk from Sneax's post.  I remember him being a beast on the forecheck, although maybe the spreadsheet will say something different.  Just look at the game winning goal in game 5 against the Rangers.  That was entirely a product of excellent forechecking by Kovalchuk.

Otherwise, regarding the future, while I recognize there's a tendency for fans, including myself, to overrate their own team's prospects, in 3-4 years, the Devils could might have one of the best defense corps in the NHL.

Kovalchuk was awful on the forecheck.  He often took bad angles enabling easier breakout passes for the opposition.  He seldom tried to hit anyone - which I'm fine with, that's not his job - but sometimes that is what's called for so that the 2nd man can get the puck.  Yes, on that goal, Kovalchuk did take his man, but that was a rarity.  He could force a turnover if the D wasn't paying attention but other than that he was real bad out there at doing what DeBoer needed.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#60 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:06 AM

Sterio, I'm putting you on the trade block. Future considerations is a sufficient compensation.

wtv float your boat honey

www.SterioDesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users