69 replies to this topic

#21 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:27 PM

Just got my 2 yr old daughter her own jersey with her fist name and day she was born on the back.  Who gives a rats fuzzy ass who's name is on the back, you should be proud of your name anyway.  Its not high school.

#22 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,680 posts

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:50 PM

Just got my 2 yr old daughter her own jersey with her fist name and day she was born on the back.  Who gives a rats fuzzy ass who's name is on the back, you should be proud of your name anyway.  Its not high school.

I got my niece a jersey with her first name and the number 1 for her first birthday.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#23 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

Its cute for kids but in my opinion its a jersey foul if you are an adult.

#24 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,128 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:31 AM

Fu€k me it's the thought that counts no?

Someone had taken the time to buy you something related to something you like, get it customised and give it to you and all you can think about is how you won't wear it or might look like a douchebag?

Keep it and appreciate the thought and care that went into getting it for you.

Oh and remember it's the crest on the front not the name on the back that matters.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#25 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 07:56 AM

I see lots of folks with their names on it. It's not about the name on the back, we're all brethren.  Leave it alone!

btw, I hope Teddy tears it up in the A

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,505 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:04 AM

For me that wouldn't be a very difficult decision. I have jerseys that I wear to the game and this probably wouldn't be one of them. However, I would NOT tear it apart out of as respect for the thought that was invested in the jersey. I would feel like a complete douchebag even if the person that gifted it didn't find out.

I'd totally wear it around the house without shame and be thankful that someone actually put some thought and effort into a present.

However, every person is different. Do what you think is right.

I agree.  Sneax, wear it around the house and maybe around the person that gave it to you if you're not comfortable wearing it to a game, but seriously, who gives a fvck what people think anyway, really?  What do you think, people are going to come up to you and knock you for wearing a jersey that clearly isn't a player on the team?  No one's going to point you out and cry "JERSEY FOUL!"  And I would think most Devils fans would be a lot more concerned with the actual event on the ice than deciding what jerseys are worthy of being worn at Devils games.  Do what YOU want to do...once you stop giving a sh!t about what other people think, life is incredibly simpler and liberating.       

I see lots of jerseys at games:  old ones, new ones, authentics, replicas, throwbacks, Rockies, Scouts, knockoffs, non-personalized, good and accurate lettering, bad and inaccurate letting, fans with their own names and number of their choice on the back.  I go the authentic route with actual player names myself, but if I see some guy wearing a "SMITH #69" jersey, I'm not thinking to myself "Geez, what a loser, I'd never be caught dead in that thing."  If it makes him happy, all the more power to him.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 13 December 2013 - 08:05 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#27 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,898 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:44 AM

wear it with a cap or a ghostbusters proton pack, the back won't show and you'll still look really cool.

www.SterioDesign.com

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

I agree.  Sneax, wear it around the house and maybe around the person that gave it to you if you're not comfortable wearing it to a game, but seriously, who gives a fvck what people think anyway, really?  What do you think, people are going to come up to you and knock you for wearing a jersey that clearly isn't a player on the team?  No one's going to point you out and cry "JERSEY FOUL!"  And I would think most Devils fans would be a lot more concerned with the actual event on the ice than deciding what jerseys are worthy of being worn at Devils games.  Do what YOU want to do...once you stop giving a sh!t about what other people think, life is incredibly simpler and liberating.       

I see lots of jerseys at games:  old ones, new ones, authentics, replicas, throwbacks, Rockies, Scouts, knockoffs, non-personalized, good and accurate lettering, bad and inaccurate letting, fans with their own names and number of their choice on the back.  I go the authentic route with actual player names myself, but if I see some guy wearing a "SMITH #69" jersey, I'm not thinking to myself "Geez, what a loser, I'd never be caught dead in that thing."  If it makes him happy, all the more power to him.   

Having your own last name and number on the back is fine.

However, I wouldn't be caught dead having "Rangerssuckov" on mine like I have seen someone wear before.

#29 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,145 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:22 AM

Stop caring about what strangers you will probably never talk to think about you and your jersey. Problem solved.

#30 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 09:56 AM

Stop caring about what strangers you will probably never talk to think about you and your jersey. Problem solved.

Yup totally agree.. Growing up I always wanted to play for the Mets so I saved up one year and got a jersey with my name on the back.. One or 2 people told me it was dumb so I never wore it again and wasted all that money

Now I have my Colin 226 jersey to represent my section and I love it.. Though it's heavy so I don't wear it as much, I could care less what other people think.. I've seen many other people with names on the back of jerseys who I definitely don't recognize, so do you man and don't worry what other people think

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#31 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,847 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:07 AM

This, pretty much. 

Whoever gave it to you put thought and money into getting you a gift. Who gives a damn what a bunch of people think, first off. Secondly, I've seen plenty of people with their names on jerseys and never even gave it a second thought. They are all over the Rock if you look around. The fact that you haven't even noticed them pretty much answers your question. 

I got a jersey with my name on it. When the Wild first released their jersey, it was before they'd signed or drafted any players, so I just got my name and football number on it. It's not a big deal. I think in your case, it's more the thought that counts.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#32 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Just got a jersey from a family member, it has my last name on it and an 01.

Personally I can't wear it, I've never seen a single person at a hockey game with their own name on their jersey. And it seems ultra douchey. What would you guys do, I can't change the name because if she ever finds out she will get upset. Do you wear it to games if you were me? Do you use it for game watching at home or do you leave the blasphemous item in the closet.

the name is OK but the 01 part is kind of odd.

#33 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

Last few posts here sum it up real well, CR1976 and Devil Dan especially (that seems to be the case with you two so often - stop being so damn rational and logical all the time, you're making the rest of us look bad!)

It's a pretty creative and nice gift (I'd be floored if someone actually got that for me), wear it around the house at least.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#34 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Even if you're not comfortable wearing it out now, keep it around. One day your outlook might change and you'll think it's pretty cool that you have it.

This guy has never been shy about rockin' his personalized Devils jersey! 

Edited by 95Crash, 13 December 2013 - 12:27 PM.

#35 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 12:51 PM

I have a jersey with my last name on and my birth year as the number (82, same as the Devils move to NJ).

I am not a douche, as evidence by being voted nicest poster here many years in a row.

So, there ya go.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#36 Crisis

Crisis

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Wear it or change the name if you're that self conscious about what other people won't even say to you.

Stashing it in the closet is probably the most disrespectful thing you can do.  "Hey, I'm ok with you wasting your time and money on something I'll never even attempt to use.  And when you ask, I'm going to lie to you about it!"

"People said his brain was infected by Devils."
Posted Image

#37 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

I am not a douche, as evidence by being voted nicest poster here many years in a row.

So, there ya go.

Sheesh, this guy. Douchy post after douchy post. When will they end..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#38 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,913 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

Sheesh, this guy. Douchy post after douchy post. When will they end..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

There's a reason I haven't won it LATELY y'know...

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#39 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:42 PM

Personally, my rule for your own last name on a jersey is it's ok until you're older than 10-12 because when you're a kid, it's cool to think about being on the team yourself and all that. When you get a bit older, it just seems weird and a bit narcissistic.

#40 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,055 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 02:45 PM

Even if you're not comfortable wearing it out now, keep it around. One day your outlook might change and you'll think it's pretty cool that you have it.

This guy has never been shy about rockin' his personalized Devils jersey! 

I miss him.  I really do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users