69 replies to this topic

#41 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've seen Baumann at a handful of games this year. More than last year already. Glad to see he's still doing his thing, even if not as often as before.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:05 PM

I've seen Baumann at a handful of games this year. More than last year already. Glad to see he's still doing his thing, even if not as often as before.

Really?  Last time I saw him was late in the 11-12 season.

#43 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Yeah he's definitely been there at least twice this season when I was there.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#44 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

There's a reason I haven't won it LATELY y'know...

:cheers:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#45 Crisis

Crisis

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

So it's weird for a 40yr old man to have a jersey of his favorite team with his own name on the back, but it isn't weird for a 40yr old man to wear a jersey with the name of an 18yr old boy on the back?

I am neither a 40yr old man or someone with their own name on the back of their jersey.  Just an interesting question.

"People said his brain was infected by Devils."
Posted Image

#46 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,730 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 06:06 PM

When someone is recognized for a special event the Devils give them a sweater with their name on it.  They drop the ceremonial puck and leave.  If they wear this sweater again that would make them something less than a fan?  I won't use the language posted.

It is horrendous to read this forum and see one fan call another fan names because they don't agree with them.  Terrible posters, awful posts and the such.  Mocking fans makes the person doing the mocking not less of a fan but less of a human being imo. 

Why is it okay for some posters to vent yet others are reprimanded?  No wonder many of the original posters have left.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#47 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 08:52 PM

While I do believe in jersey fouls, I also think too many purists overreact to them.  Since this jersey was a gift, I don't really think it's a big deal.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#48 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:21 PM

Wait it out for now, and show your appreciation for the gift, ultimately that's what counts. After awhile, when the moment has long worn out, you can tell her something like, "I don't like people shouting our last name in public and taunting us, I am going to get the jersey changed to a player but I want you to know the gift is very special to me, as are you." Follow that up with a hug and you have fixed the situation with everyone feeling swell.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#49 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:38 PM

When someone is recognized for a special event the Devils give them a sweater with their name on it. They drop the ceremonial puck and leave. If they wear this sweater again that would make them something less than a fan? I won't use the language posted.

It is horrendous to read this forum and see one fan call another fan names because they don't agree with them. Terrible posters, awful posts and the such. Mocking fans makes the person doing the mocking not less of a fan but less of a human being imo.

Why is it okay for some posters to vent yet others are reprimanded? No wonder many of the original posters have left.

I read this and thought that maybe it was aimed at my comment.

But really where did this happen in this thread?

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#50 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 02:50 PM

I read this and thought that maybe it was aimed at my comment.

But really where did this happen in this thread?

It didn't. It's StarDew being StarDew.

#51 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 15 December 2013 - 05:25 PM

What a nice problem  to have, some appreciated you.

#52 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:04 AM

I've been asking for a Devils jersey for Christmas literally every year, it's the only thing I ask for when my mother constantly asks me for a list. I never get one. Still the only jersey I have is a Scott Gomez I won in a raffle when I was like ten or so. It's still huge on me, but it's the only jersey I have to wear to games. I'm one of the last guys left that sports the taped Gomez sweater. I still love the CCM jerseys. But if anyone's feeling generous, you can send this guy an Elias jersey... and tuition money. Thanks.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#53 sassquash

sassquash

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:46 AM

This entire thread... white people problems :P

functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism

#54 Revan

Revan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

This entire thread... white people problems :P

Haha, or first world problems.

If it's such a problem for you, OP, and you don't feel comfortable wearing it at the arena, don't wear it. The best option is, probably, talking to the person who gave it to you, saying thanks and telling her/him that you have a favourite player whose jersey you'd love to get, so since you got the sweater, you'll redo the lettering on the back to the name of that player...

The jersey fouls column at Puck Daddy is usually funny when you have people with some really dumb stuff on their jerseys or when they do things that could *really* be considered a sacrilege (like, tearing two jerseys apart and sewing their halves together). But sometimes it gets extreme and I'm getting this totally macho vibe with fans pointing fingers at others because some minor detail is off or someone customizes their jersey the way they like. Come on, even the official NHL shop puts up those ads with jerseys reading "YOUR NAME" on the backs. Don't like it, don't do that to your jersey, but if someone else likes it - who the hell are you to tell them not to wear it? And is it that big of a deal to rip people over it? Sheesh...

Personally, the only problem I'd have with the jersey would be the "01" on the back. :P No reason for that 0 in there. Oh, plus, maybe I wouldn't feel to comfortable with all the people around me seeing my last name instantly (if it is your last name, no the first name). But a jersey with my first name on the back, I probably wouldn't mind.

#55 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:40 AM

Haha, or first world problems.

If it's such a problem for you, OP, and you don't feel comfortable wearing it at the arena, don't wear it. The best option is, probably, talking to the person who gave it to you, saying thanks and telling her/him that you have a favourite player whose jersey you'd love to get, so since you got the sweater, you'll redo the lettering on the back to the name of that player...

The jersey fouls column at Puck Daddy is usually funny when you have people with some really dumb stuff on their jerseys or when they do things that could *really* be considered a sacrilege (like, tearing two jerseys apart and sewing their halves together). But sometimes it gets extreme and I'm getting this totally macho vibe with fans pointing fingers at others because some minor detail is off or someone customizes their jersey the way they like. Come on, even the official NHL shop puts up those ads with jerseys reading "YOUR NAME" on the backs. Don't like it, don't do that to your jersey, but if someone else likes it - who the hell are you to tell them not to wear it? And is it that big of a deal to rip people over it? Sheesh...

Personally, the only problem I'd have with the jersey would be the "01" on the back. :P No reason for that 0 in there. Oh, plus, maybe I wouldn't feel to comfortable with all the people around me seeing my last name instantly (if it is your last name, no the first name). But a jersey with my first name on the back, I probably wouldn't mind.

One thing I stopped doing a long time ago was lookiing down at knockoff jerseys and fans who wear them...jerseys that might not have the stripe proportions correct, or incorrect fonts, or be off in some other way.  Not everyone is as hardcore about these things as many of us might be...they might not even notice the differences, or might be aware of them but simply don't care.  Or maybe such fans really don't have much money, can't really swing the cost of a licensed authentic or replica, go on e-bay, see a knockoff selling for a lower cost, and decide to go that route.  If I see someone like that at a Devils game, the way I see it, at least he's 1) in the building and supporting his team, and 2) wearing something that shows he's supporting the team.  I'll take that guy over the opposing teams' fans in the building wearing authentics any day. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#56 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:44 AM

One thing I stopped doing a long time ago was lookiing down at knockoff jerseys and fans who wear them...jerseys that might not have the stripe proportions correct, or incorrect fonts, or be off in some other way.  Not everyone is as hardcore about these things as many of us might be...they might not even notice the differences, or might be aware of them but simply don't care.  Or maybe such fans really don't have much money, can't really swing the cost of a licensed authentic or replica, go on e-bay, see a knockoff selling for a lower cost, and decide to go that route.  If I see someone like that at a Devils game, the way I see it, at least he's 1) in the building and supporting his team, and 2) wearing something that shows he's supporting the team.  I'll take that guy over the opposing teams' fans in the building wearing authentics any day. 

Edit: Nevermind.  I don't even want to start this debate.  Too tired.

Edited by DevsMan84, 16 December 2013 - 11:48 AM.

#57 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:53 AM

Edit: Nevermind.  I don't even want to start this debate.  Too tired.

I wasn't looking to start a debate on that topic anyway.  I'm sure there's a lot of people who hate knockoffs and everything about them.  I won't ever buy one myself. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#58 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

I wasn't looking to start a debate on that topic anyway.  I'm sure there's a lot of people who hate knockoffs and everything about them.  I won't ever buy one myself. 

You can count me in that category too.  I know you weren't trying to start a debate but it was bound to happen as this is a sure fire topic here and I usually get sucked in myself.  It's an arguement I know I can never really win so I thought about it and edited to just drop it lol.

#59 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:19 PM

if you dont like the jersey dont wear it and go buy yourself one that you like... boom problem solved. Who cares what other people think if you want to wear a jersey with your last name on the back..
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#60 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

so it's douchey to be original and not have to have an actual player's name on your jersey? since when!?

You're original and not just one of the herd buying another Brodeur jersey or like when we had Kovalchuk or Parise jumping on that bandwagon... I'd wear it! My sister actually just got her bf one with his last name on it, though she picked #9 (should have picked a number that isn't used by a real player)

I've seen plenty of people at games with what is obviously their last name on the name plate and a number of their choice. It's not douchey and it's not a "Jersey Foul" despite what Puck Daddy might say. A true foul is having an incorrect number for a player, a jersey for a player your team never had (or never will) or some idiotic nickname. (I will make an exception for one I saw made up to honor Lou though, had "LAMORIELLO" on the nameplate and a $ for the number. How you get a $ like that idk, but it was original)

Edited by Legion15, 16 December 2013 - 12:43 PM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users