69 replies to this topic

#61 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,481 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 12:45 PM

so it's douchey to be original and not have to have an actual player's name on your jersey? since when!?

You're original and not just one of the herd buying another Brodeur jersey or like when we had Kovalchuk or Parise jumping on that bandwagon... I'd wear it! My sister actually just got her bf one with his last name on it, though she picked #9 (should have picked a number that isn't used by a real player)

I've seen plenty of people at games with what is obviously their last name on the name plate and a number of their choice. It's not douchey and it's not a "Jersey Foul" despite what Puck Daddy might say. A true foul is having an incorrect number for a player, a jersey for a player your team never had (or never will) or some idiotic nickname. (I will make an exception for one I saw made up to honor Lou though, had "LAMORIELLO" on the nameplate and a $ for the number. How you get a $ like that idk, but it was original)

What about putting a current player on a scouts or rockies jersey?  I have seen them at the arena and honestly even Puck Daddy can't make up his mind as he has put them in both the foul and pass category.

I put it in the pass category, but just barely.

#62 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,463 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:19 PM

so it's douchey to be original and not have to have an actual player's name on your jersey? since when!?

You're original and not just one of the herd buying another Brodeur jersey or like when we had Kovalchuk or Parise jumping on that bandwagon... I'd wear it! My sister actually just got her bf one with his last name on it, though she picked #9 (should have picked a number that isn't used by a real player)

I've seen plenty of people at games with what is obviously their last name on the name plate and a number of their choice. It's not douchey and it's not a "Jersey Foul" despite what Puck Daddy might say. A true foul is having an incorrect number for a player, a jersey for a player your team never had (or never will) or some idiotic nickname. (I will make an exception for one I saw made up to honor Lou though, had "LAMORIELLO" on the nameplate and a $ for the number. How you get a $ like that idk, but it was original)

Wouldn't that include putting your own last name on the back? I mean, I don't think anyone is less a fan or person for wearing one, but imo, it's not cool. Just like I think those oversized sock hats are lame.

#63 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:38 PM

I am a huge devils fan but I've never bought myself a jersey. I just can't logically justify spending that much on clothing that I would only wear to the few games I can make it to or during playoff games.

At the same time I don't judge other fans for what they wear to games, customized, authentic, no jersey at all- like CR said, just be glad they're supporting the team in what way they can/want.

#64 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

Oh no! Someone wants their last name on the back of their jersey they bought and paid for with their money! Maybe they saw how all those cool kids got stuck with those 17, 9, and 23 jerseys and said the hell with it on today's players who get traded and leave as FA's as fast as they come.

#65 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,124 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 01:48 PM

I miss him. I really do.

What happened to him?

#66 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:11 PM

I have a jersey with my last name on and my birth year as the number (82, same as the Devils move to NJ).

I am not a douche, as evidence by being voted nicest poster here many years in a row.

So, there ya go.

You're just the nicest douche here.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#67 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 02:16 PM

Or a misspelled name (unless you're referencing that time Special Nieds wore a jersey with his name spelled wrong).

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#68 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,798 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:36 PM

I read this and thought that maybe it was aimed at my comment.

But really where did this happen in this thread?

I totally agree with your comment.  I wasn't aiming at you or anyone else directly.  It is more the way this forum functions as of late.  Someone can post an opinion and if someone thinks the opinion is worthless or dumb the crap starts slinging.  As for ranting, seems only a certain sect are allowed to do that without having all sorts of crap slung at them.  And there are those who just like to dump on the same people time after time.  That is how they get their jollies.

Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#69 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 08:01 PM

I totally agree with your comment. I wasn't aiming at you or anyone else directly. It is more the way this forum functions as of late. Someone can post an opinion and if someone thinks the opinion is worthless or dumb the crap starts slinging. As for ranting, seems only a certain sect are allowed to do that without having all sorts of crap slung at them. And there are those who just like to dump on the same people time after time. That is how they get their jollies.

Ah fair play. I didn't want what I had posted to come across that way. Although it was a mini rant of sorts.

I agree that there seem to be a few personal slanging matches developing, but that happened the last time the team was in a tough spot.

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#70 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 11:06 PM

I think a key piece of information that seems to have gotten lost in this thread is that the OP doesn't seem to like having his name on the back of the jersey.  It appears to me that he's not asking for acceptance, he's asking what to do with the customization that he isn't all that happy with.  I say if you're not happy with the jersey, fix it so you are happy with it and will wear it. 

I agree with the sentiment that it's kind of petty to criticize others for having their own name on their jersey, but that's not really what the original post was about.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users