3 replies to this topic

#1 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:05 PM

With temperatures dipping down there are quite a few frozen ponds near me (Morris County).  A problem I've encountered over years of playing is resurfacing.  I was wondering if anyone had any insight on a good way to resurface the ice after a full day of skating on it.  

I'm looking into "drill pumps."  Does anyone have experience with these?  Will a portable drill pump enough water to resurface a medium sized ice area?

Thanks!

Posted Image

#2 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:41 AM

I don't have any experience with drill pumps but to get a good resurfacing you would also need some way to shave the surface off as well, which is then replaced with new water.  I'm guessing the pond you play on isn't big enough to just move over and play next to the used ice?

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#3 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

I don't have any experience with drill pumps but to get a good resurfacing you would also need some way to shave the surface off as well, which is then replaced with new water.  I'm guessing the pond you play on isn't big enough to just move over and play next to the used ice?

It is when there isn't snow on it.  But when it snows usually 2 smaller rinks are cut out.

Posted Image

#4 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:11 PM

snow shovels and a hose. 

It never works :evil:

Results with buckets of water are even more tragic - and yet it was tried every year by some eejit (usually a Rangers fan :giggle: )

Hey our local pond (where I grew up) IS online  hahah!

pond%201.jpg

Edited by Pepperkorn, 19 December 2013 - 01:13 PM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users