Photo

Stadium Series Game: Are you going?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

Poll: Stadium Series: Are you going? (94 member(s) have cast votes)

Stadium Series: Are you going?

1. Yes, I purchased a ticket(s) (32 votes [34.04%])

Percentage of vote: 34.04%

2. Yes, I received tickets for free or they included with my season tickets (8 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

3. No, tickets are too expensive (24 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

4. No, sight-lines at Yankee stadium are poor, TV will be better (16 votes [17.02%])

Percentage of vote: 17.02%

5. No (other) (14 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 oofrostonoo

oofrostonoo

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:36 AM

Only Devils fans would piss and moan for 5 years about not being in an outdoor game and when they finally get one, they are suddenly "shocked" by the high prices and piss and moan about the poor sight lines and it being cold. :rolleyes:

Haha, this is kind of true. I would have just preferred a football stadium, which obviously isn't available, where you'll be far, but at least you can see the ice.

Posted Image

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

If I had the time, I would go back to all the past threads about the previous winter classics and pull up every quote by every poster that said they wish the Devils would have one and would go to it in a heartbeat and then post it right along their comments about it being too cold and expensive about this game.

The Winter Classic games hold the exact same value as these as they are over 2 regular season points.  We all know the only way the Devils would ever be in one is if they played the Rangers and we all knew that if the Rangers were going to be in it, they wouldn't be playing the Devils as NBC would never allow it.  This literally is the only way the Devils could and would ever be part of an outdoor game.

If fans do not want to go that it their choice but I just find it funny that some of the same people who previous said they would be at a Devils outdoor game in the heartbeat are now pissing and moaning about the obvious that comes with these games (high prices, cold, bad sightlines) and act like they are shocked or taking some sort of a stand against it.

The thread was started to find out why some fans will be taking part, and why some people won't, with some specific reasons.  I don't think it's fair to label those who actually dared to say "I'm not going because..." as something they're not.  Most of the posts here are pretty matter-of-fact about why certain posters are choosing not to go, and if some of them weren't familiar with how previous WC classic games were priced, yeah, some who thought they might be interested previously might have been surprised by the cost.   

I don't see a lot of coming out here against the event itself, just fans simply stating their reasons for passing it up, and that doesn't make them wrong by default, which seems to be where you're going with this.       

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:02 AM

80 bucks to get in the door before TM fees? No thank you. 50... maybe but 80 no way. Plus getting to Yankee Stadium is so out of the way.

Are you 15 years old?!?  You would go for $50, but not $80?

IF tickets were $80, they could fill multIple Yankee Stadiums

You can't sniff a ticket for $80

Not going to kid myself - I got tickets to this game primarily because it'll likely be the only time we'll ever see Marty in an outdoor game.  I assume he'll be starting..and it'll be pretty freakin cool to be able to say I was there to see it 20 years from now, when he's the GM of this team  :giggle:

Even if the Devils do get another outdoor game in the next few years..odds are Marty won't be there.

I am right there with you.  I honestly don't think the Devils will be in another of these for quite some time, if ever again.  The fact that Marty will be in the net, with a 41 years young #68 on the ice....

Can't miss, must attend for me.

Ha Ha, Marty as GM 20 years from now, you hope, I doubt.

If he is on a losing stretch will Devils play him in this game? I would hope not.

Another outdoor game you're correct Marty won't be there as a player.

Marty is playing this game 100%.  If you think otherwise, I have a bridge to sell you.

Only Devils fans would piss and moan for 5 years about not being in an outdoor game and when they finally get one, they are suddenly "shocked" by the high prices and piss and moan about the poor sight lines and it being cold. :rolleyes:

Yup

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#44 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:09 AM

If I had the time, I would go back to all the past threads about the previous winter classics and pull up every quote by every poster that said they wish the Devils would have one and would go to it in a heartbeat and then post it right along their comments about it being too cold and expensive about this game.

The Winter Classic games hold the exact same value as these as they are over 2 regular season points.  We all know the only way the Devils would ever be in one is if they played the Rangers and we all knew that if the Rangers were going to be in it, they wouldn't be playing the Devils as NBC would never allow it.  This literally is the only way the Devils could and would ever be part of an outdoor game.

If fans do not want to go that it their choice but I just find it funny that some of the same people who previous said they would be at a Devils outdoor game in the heartbeat are now pissing and moaning about the obvious that comes with these games (high prices, cold, bad sightlines) and act like they are shocked or taking some sort of a stand against it.

I have to 100% agree.. I can't decide whether to be shocked or just laugh about it.. Our fan base routinely has trouble being happy.. This game is a miracle, I still don't know how they allowed this.. It really may not happen again, or at least for a decade I think.. Totally worth the $310 per ticket in my view for this potentially once-in-a-lifetime experience.. But then we also have people getting all bent out of shape over jerseys.. A year ago we would have given anything just to be in the game, now everything about it is wrong or not good enough or not done the right way

You just have to shake your head

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#45 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

The thread was started to find out why some fans will be taking part, and why some people won't, with some specific reasons.  I don't think it's fair to label those who actually dared to say "I'm not going because..." as something they're not.  Most of the posts here are pretty matter-of-fact about why certain posters are choosing not to go, and if some of them weren't familiar with how previous WC classic games were priced, yeah, some who thought they might be interested previously might have been surprised by the cost.   

I don't see a lot of coming out here against the event itself, just fans simply stating their reasons for passing it up, and that doesn't make them wrong by default, which seems to be where you're going with this.       

Absolutely a fair point and hey I mean for those who don't go, the ones going will just see it as their loss and not lose sleep.. Likewise, those who don't go think we're overpaying for bleh.. But DevMan also makes a great point in that, when we could only dream of something like this involving the Devils it was "Man I would love to go to this but it'll never happen"... Now we have it and apparently it's too expensive, sight lines will suck, the stadium will be all drunk Rangers fans giving us swirlies in the bathrooms, etc, etc.. It's just very interesting to some of us to see this after it being an impossible dream for so long

Edited by Colin226, 20 December 2013 - 11:22 AM.

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#46 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:22 AM

I have to 100% agree.. I can't decide whether to be shocked or just laugh about it.. Our fan base routinely has trouble being happy.. This game is a miracle, I still don't know how they allowed this.. It really may not happen again, or at least for a decade I think.. Totally worth the $310 per ticket in my view for this potentially once-in-a-lifetime experience.. But then we also have people getting all bent out of shape over jerseys.. A year ago we would have given anything just to be in the game, now everything about it is wrong or not good enough or not done the right way

You just have to shake your head

That's my entire arguement in a nutshell.

#47 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:27 AM

As I have maintained for years, the Devils fanbase as a whole has a longggggg way to go.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#48 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

As I have maintained for years, the Devils fanbase as a whole has a longggggg way to go.

i agree but i think its been getting better year by year
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#49 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

i agree but i think its been getting better year by year

I don't see any improvements to be honest.

There is a sense of entitlement with most, and take winning for granted.

If we ever sucked as bad as the Isles have for the past 10 years or so; the franchise would be in reaaallllll trouble.

We couldn't fill the old barn when we were a perennial contender with 3 first ballot HOF players on the team!

#50 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,863 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:51 AM

I don't see any improvements to be honest.

There is a sense of entitlement with most, and take winning for granted.

If we ever sucked as bad as the Isles have for the past 10 years or so; the franchise would be in reaaallllll trouble.

We couldn't fill the old barn when we were a perennial contender with 3 first ballot HOF players on the team!

you really think the fan base has not gotten much larger since the continental days?.. it has to have gotten marginally bigger. .. the thing is how is a franchise suppose to really grow their fan base one like the devils say when they have 3 other teams right on top of them in the same general area (rags, isles, sabers) .. i mean enless people are going to jump ship which 99.99% of people are not especially if they are real fans .. the only way to grow a fan base is to find new fans i guess?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#51 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,730 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 11:55 AM

Absolutely a fair point and hey I mean for those who don't go, the ones going will just see it as their loss and not lose sleep.. Likewise, those who don't go think we're overpaying for bleh.. But DevMan also makes a great point in that, when we could only dream of something like this involving the Devils it was "Man I would love to go to this but it'll never happen"... Now we have it and apparently it's too expensive, sight lines will suck, the stadium will be all drunk Rangers fans giving us swirlies in the bathrooms, etc, etc.. It's just very interesting to some of us to see this after it being an impossible dream for so long

I'm definitely not knocking the ones who are choosing to go, and I don't think those who are going are overpaying...that is up to the buyer.  If you pay your $310 and have an absolute blast and feel like you got your money's worth, that is how it should be...in the end, it's YOUR money/disposable income and YOU know what to best spend it on.  I go to one or two NE Patriot games a year up in Foxborough, and I pay a lot for those tickets (at least $200 per seat, and that's to sit in the highest row possible most of the time), and I'm sure many would say, "Why not just watch at home?"  But I love going, I have a great time (as long as they don't get killed of course), and to me, it's very worth it.  It's funny, I've always liked video games, but my father never understood the allure, and always maintained they were a waste of time and money.  His criticisms went through my head as I was buying new systems, well into my adulthood...until one day I just realized, "Well, it's not a waste of time and money to ME!  I enjoy this!"    

I think the ones who are going to the game in this thread think the people who aren't are knocking them for it, and that's not happening at all.  No one is saying "You've got to be a moron to spend that kind of money to see a game that will have crappy sightlines in the freezing cold!"  People are simply saying why they don't choose to go.  Like I've said, I'm sure the ones who are going will have a great time...they wouldn't have been willing to spend the money if they weren't sure of it going in.       

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 December 2013 - 11:56 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#52 Brick Pig

Brick Pig

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'll be there! Section 420B, so I'll be able to see it all.

I will be in that section as well with 4 friends. The ticket prices for this thing are ridiculous, and the sight lines are not very conducive for watching hockey. However, this is an experience that I wasn't going to let pass as it is unlikely the Devils are back in an outdoor game anytime soon, unless the NHL makes the huge mistake of doing this Stadium series BS every year and completely kills it. I mean, look at the trouble they are having selling tickets for the Rags-Isles and Ducks-Kings games. If that isn't a huge red flag for the NHL suits, I don't know what is.

I'll be in 420B as well. It is indeed a pricey proposition. And I fully expect it to be hard to see and miserably cold. At the same time, I can't think of a single thing I'd rather be doing that day.

Sent via mobile

#53 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,695 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

In fairness I think the fact they're having six of these games have also changed people's mindset from this being a once in a lifetime event (and it was when there was just one of these a year) to something that could conceivably happen again in the next decade.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#54 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:07 PM

In fairness I think the fact they're having six of these games have also changed people's mindset from this being a once in a lifetime event (and it was when there was just one of these a year) to something that could conceivably happen again in the next decade.

Exactly.  And for Rangers fans, there are two of them in the same year.  Not only could it happen again in the next decade, it could happen next year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#55 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:09 PM

I'm definitely not knocking the ones who are choosing to go, and I don't think those who are going are overpaying...that is up to the buyer.  If you pay your $310 and have an absolute blast and feel like you got your money's worth, that is how it should be...in the end, it's YOUR money/disposable income and YOU know what to best spend it on.  I go to one or two NE Patriot games a year up in Foxborough, and I pay a lot for those tickets (at least $200 per seat, and that's to sit in the highest row possible most of the time), and I'm sure many would say, "Why not just watch at home?"  But I love going, I have a great time (as long as they don't get killed of course), and to me, it's very worth it.  It's funny, I've always liked video games, but my father never understood the allure, and always maintained they were a waste of time and money.  His criticisms went through my head as I was buying new systems, well into my adulthood...until one day I just realized, "Well, it's not a waste of time and money to ME!  I enjoy this!"    

I think the ones who are going to the game in this thread think the people who aren't are knocking them for it, and that's not happening at all.  No one is saying "You've got to be a moron to spend that kind of money to see a game that will have crappy sightlines in the freezing cold!"  People are simply saying why they don't choose to go.  Like I've said, I'm sure the ones who are going will have a great time...they wouldn't have been willing to spend the money if they weren't sure of it going in.       

Very fair.. Always the voice of reason :)

And if I was a Rangers, Blackhawks, or Penguins fan I'd probably have the same mindset.. But the Islanders are proving they don't deserve anything like this until they re-brand as Brooklyn and get NYC sponsors (10+ year down the road at least).. And the Devils are just never a sure bet either

#56 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 01:13 PM

Ive grown soft in my later year LOL.  those stadiums can get blast freezer cold and pricing over 600 bills for my son and I..,,eh, just couldnt pull the trigger. going to watch it in high def with a glass of cabernet.  what a wuss!!!!

but I salute all you fans who are going and hope you all have a blast .......ENJOY!!!!

#57 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

LucifersDog, on 19 Dec 2013 - 4:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Ha Ha, Marty as GM 20 years from now, you hope, I doubt.

If he is on a losing stretch will Devils play him in this game? I would hope not.

Another outdoor game you're correct Marty won't be there as a player.

Marty is playing this game 100%.  If you think otherwise, I have a bridge to sell you.

I set the criteria, "if Marty is playing badly and on a losing stretch, do they play him," you say YES 100%. I say if they do they are stupid and don't deserve fan support, this is a regular season game and they have to play every game to win, it's a 4 point game!

What bridge so you want to sell me? Do you own it before trying to sell it to  me?

#58 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

My wife was getting me tickets for Christmas as a surprise... then I was offered it through a business partner and killed the surprise...    
Then, one of their guys complained its too cold and a Sunday and suggested a ton of MSG dates instead....  so I'm not sure where I stand there.
I do plan on going though. Ha.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#59 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:45 PM

remember that less than 1% of fans even come to this board, and only a small fraction of them post here. The whole purpose of a message board is to sound off on your opinions, so by its nature it will attract a lot of crazy people with strong and often extreme opinions.

It's tough to judge a fanbase based on Internet discussions. And if you are doing that then just look at every teams board over at hfboards and you'll get a laugh at the crazies there. Sometimes I just lurk there for a good laugh.

#60 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:15 PM

Coming from Australia specifically for this event, and getting 2 home games at the Rock also.

It's once in a lifetime, and as much as I will be going from 30 Celsius (80-90F) to 0C/32F temps, I don't care.

I can't wait to hang out with Colin226 and have an awesome day at Yankee Stadium.

I went to Yankee Stadium for 3 Yankees games last year, so going back for hockey in winter will be amazing.

4 weeks and counting until I fly out :)

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users