Photo

Stadium Series Game: Are you going?

• Please log in to reply
368 replies to this topic

Poll: Stadium Series: Are you going? (94 member(s) have cast votes)

Stadium Series: Are you going?

1. Yes, I purchased a ticket(s) (32 votes [34.04%])

Percentage of vote: 34.04%

2. Yes, I received tickets for free or they included with my season tickets (8 votes [8.51%])

Percentage of vote: 8.51%

3. No, tickets are too expensive (24 votes [25.53%])

Percentage of vote: 25.53%

4. No, sight-lines at Yankee stadium are poor, TV will be better (16 votes [17.02%])

Percentage of vote: 17.02%

5. No (other) (14 votes [14.89%])

Percentage of vote: 14.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 09:11 PM

Coming from Australia specifically for this event, and getting 2 home games at the Rock also.

It's once in a lifetime, and as much as I will be going from 30 Celsius (80-90F) to 0C/32F temps, I don't care.

I can't wait to hang out with Colin226 and have an awesome day at Yankee Stadium.

I went to Yankee Stadium for 3 Yankees games last year, so going back for hockey in winter will be amazing.

4 weeks and counting until I fly out :)

Awesome, that's a LOOOOONG way for a hockey game. the flights will be how many times longer than the 3 games?

#62 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,829 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

I have to 100% agree.. I can't decide whether to be shocked or just laugh about it.. Our fan base routinely has trouble being happy.. This game is a miracle, I still don't know how they allowed this.. It really may not happen again, or at least for a decade I think.. Totally worth the $310 per ticket in my view for this potentially once-in-a-lifetime experience.. But then we also have people getting all bent out of shape over jerseys.. A year ago we would have given anything just to be in the game, now everything about it is wrong or not good enough or not done the right way

You just have to shake your head

Just because people don't have the kind of money needed to drop on a game like this doesn't mean they are unhappy about the prices. A few people mentioned prices and sight lines as reasons they wouldn't go, but that doesn't mean they are complaining about it. Some are, of course, but a majority of people are who aren't going just can't. I was one of the people who wanted this game to happen and wanted to go to it, but when the ticket prices came out, I had to sit down and think. Unfortunately, I realized that with bills, rent, work furloughs, and having to purchase new healthcare for 2014, I couldn't justify laying down $200 per ticket for decent seats.  Most people who aren't going have similar reasons for not being able to make it. I saw maybe 2 or 3 people who out and out complained. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#63 newjerseydamo

newjerseydamo

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 02:15 AM

Awesome, that's a LOOOOONG way for a hockey game. the flights will be how many times longer than the 3 games?

If i just counted the international flights, 40 hours flying time there and back, compared to 9 hours of hockey (although will be making days of it meeting up with Devils friends and other drinking activities).

I'm also spending 8 days in NYC, 2 days in Toronto, and visiting friends in Calgary for 2 weeks, so it is an extended holiday. But if it wasn't for the outdoor game, who knows if I would have spent the last 6 months spending stupid amounts of money.

:D

"Music is my mistress, and she plays second fiddle to none." "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
jerseys3.png

#64 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:30 AM

Just because people don't have the kind of money needed to drop on a game like this doesn't mean they are unhappy about the prices. A few people mentioned prices and sight lines as reasons they wouldn't go, but that doesn't mean they are complaining about it. Some are, of course, but a majority of people are who aren't going just can't. I was one of the people who wanted this game to happen and wanted to go to it, but when the ticket prices came out, I had to sit down and think. Unfortunately, I realized that with bills, rent, work furloughs, and having to purchase new healthcare for 2014, I couldn't justify laying down $200 per ticket for decent seats.  Most people who aren't going have similar reasons for not being able to make it. I saw maybe 2 or 3 people who out and out complained. 

I think it's just the way some are coming across in their replies and on other avenues of social media. There are people who simply can't spend the money to go for whatever personal reasons like paying bills and whatnot and there's no wrong in that. Then we have those who say they won't (not, can't....won't) spend the money and go because it's too expensive then add "the sight lines are terrible" and "it's too cold" like this is some sort of revelation and they are personally staging a protest. It looks like they are using the latter to make the financial decisions for them as if to say if it was a 60 degree day and had sight lines at The Rock they'd gladly drop the money to go.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 23 December 2013 - 09:52 AM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#65 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 10:51 AM

I think it's just the way some are coming across in their replies and on other avenues of social media. There are people who simply can't spend the money to go for whatever personal reasons like paying bills and whatnot and there's no wrong in that. Then we have those who say they won't (not, can't....won't) spend the money and go because it's too expensive then add "the sight lines are terrible" and "it's too cold" like this is some sort of revelation and they are personally staging a protest. It looks like they are using the latter to make the financial decisions for them as if to say if it was a 60 degree day and had sight lines at The Rock they'd gladly drop the money to go.

No, wrong, the thread was started to ask fans for reasons why they may or may not be going.  Don't look for protests and arguments where they don't exist, for the sake of doing so.  Like I said to Colin (which he agreed with), there's a big difference between saying "What's wrong with you people, you're spending a lot of coin on a game where the sightlines are going to be bad and you're going to freeze your ass off!" and "I'm not going because it's a lot of money/sightlines will be bad/it's going to be cold/it's too expensive for me."  Again, people who aren't going aren't ripping the people who are, or protesting the event itself; they are simply stating their reasons for choosing not to parttake, but for some reason, some people want to make this an argument where one doesn't really exist.  There's no friggin' right or wrong choice here. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#66 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:05 AM

No, wrong, the thread was started to ask fans for reasons why they may or may not be going.  Don't look for protests and arguments where they don't exist, for the sake of doing so.  Like I said to Colin (which he agreed with), there's a big difference between saying "What's wrong with you people, you're spending a lot of coin on a game where the sightlines are going to be bad and you're going to freeze your ass off!" and "I'm not going because it's a lot of money/sightlines will be bad/it's going to be cold/it's too expensive for me."  Again, people who aren't going aren't ripping the people who are, or protesting the event itself; they are simply stating their reasons for choosing not to parttake, but for some reason, some people want to make this an argument where one doesn't really exist.  There's no friggin' right or wrong choice here. 

Again go back to any thread about past Winter Classics on here and you have scores of posters whining about the Devils never being in it and if they were, they would buy tickets in a heartbeat.

Now that the Devils are in an outdoor game, things that are obvious and come with outdoor games like the cold, high ticket prices and obstructed views are now becoming an issue with a lot of the same posters.  Again these come with the territory with an outdoor game and it's comical to see them whining about this.

Also I see a lot of posters say "well this isn't the Stanley Cup finals" and "these are just for 2 regular season points so no big deal."  Well how is that different than the Winter Classics in the past?

Look I can understand that for some people this just isn't their thing or they rather watch at home and that is fine, but to see some of the same posters who have said in previous winter classic threads they would kill for the Devils to be in one as they would buy tickets in an instant only to now whine about the obvious is just silly.

#67 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:08 AM

LucifersDog, on 19 Dec 2013 - 4:38 PM, said:snapback.png

Marty is playing this game 100%.  If you think otherwise, I have a bridge to sell you.

I set the criteria, "if Marty is playing badly and on a losing stretch, do they play him," you say YES 100%. I say if they do they are stupid and don't deserve fan support, this is a regular season game and they have to play every game to win, it's a 4 point game!

What bridge so you want to sell me? Do you own it before trying to sell it to  me?

Marty plays the game no matter what, barring a severe injury he cannot play through

I am not sure if you were serious in your response to my bridge comment... :doh1:

remember that less than 1% of fans even come to this board, and only a small fraction of them post here. The whole purpose of a message board is to sound off on your opinions, so by its nature it will attract a lot of crazy people with strong and often extreme opinions.

It's tough to judge a fanbase based on Internet discussions. And if you are doing that then just look at every teams board over at hfboards and you'll get a laugh at the crazies there. Sometimes I just lurk there for a good laugh.

I am not saying that just in response to the people on this board, but the people I see/here/interact with at the arena...

Overall the fanbase is severely uneducated in general IMHO...

you really think the fan base has not gotten much larger since the continental days?.. it has to have gotten marginally bigger. .. the thing is how is a franchise suppose to really grow their fan base one like the devils say when they have 3 other teams right on top of them in the same general area (rags, isles, sabers) .. i mean enless people are going to jump ship which 99.99% of people are not especially if they are real fans .. the only way to grow a fan base is to find new fans i guess?

No, I do not think the fan base has grown much, if at all....

Very small increase if anything as some younger fans got older and real jobs, etc.

Exactly.  And for Rangers fans, there are two of them in the same year.  Not only could it happen again in the next decade, it could happen next year.

For the Rangers...maybe

I do not see the Devils in another one of these for quite awhile, even if they continue to do several a year

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#68 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:12 AM

Again go back to any thread about past Winter Classics on here and you have scores of posters whining about the Devils never being in it and if they were, they would buy tickets in a heartbeat.

Now that the Devils are in an outdoor game, things that are obvious and come with outdoor games like the cold, high ticket prices and obstructed views are now becoming an issue with a lot of the same posters.  Again these come with the territory with an outdoor game and it's comical to see them whining about this.

Also I see a lot of posters say "well this isn't the Stanley Cup finals" and "these are just for 2 regular season points so no big deal."  Well how is that different than the Winter Classics in the past?

Look I can understand that for some people this just isn't their thing or they rather watch at home and that is fine, but to see some of the same posters who have said in previous winter classic threads they would kill for the Devils to be in one as they would buy tickets in an instant only to now whine about the obvious is just silly.

This is my view.

Most fans I spoke to in past years have echoed this sentiment, as did I.  "How awesome would it be for the Devils to get an outdoor game?!? I would definitely go!"  Then we get into one of the games, and everyone is complaining about something or other.

Did these people not realize that:

A.  The tickets would be overpriced; the NHL is a business.

B.  It would be cold out, in the middle of the winter.

C.  The views would not be ideal in a stadium.

D.  The game is a regular season game, worth 2 points in the standings

These were all very obvious points to me going into it.  When the game was announced I was ecstatic, and when I got the link from the Devils to buy the tickets I plunked my Visa down and smiled/cried as I hammered away at the keyboard to lock up some premium seats. (and watched my account balance diminish in seconds)

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#69 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,829 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:01 AM

So in previous Winter Classic threads, people should have said "Oh, I hope the team never plays in one because it might be cold and expensive." You really are making an issue out of nothing. Out of nearly 70 replies to this thread maybe 3 people actually COMPLAINED about any of that. Other people just sighted it as reasons they aren't going, which is what the OP was asking to begin with. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#70 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 09:52 AM

So in previous Winter Classic threads, people should have said "Oh, I hope the team never plays in one because it might be cold and expensive." You really are making an issue out of nothing. Out of nearly 70 replies to this thread maybe 3 people actually COMPLAINED about any of that. Other people just sighted it as reasons they aren't going, which is what the OP was asking to begin with. 

No and you know that is not the point I am making.  It's one thing not to go to it because it is cold and expensive (which I can understand), but to say that you will do anything to go and then when it actually happens to act all shocked and surprised that it is expensive and that it will be cold and have terrible sight lines is another (that I find amusing since that exactly what these games always were since the first one).

#71 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,116 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:32 AM

The cold is no excuse not to go to this game. You can wear several layers of clothes and bring blankets to keep warm and hell with the way the weather has been it might not even be that cold anyway.

#72 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:42 PM

I can't afford the tickets at this time. If it were last year as opposed to this year (minus the strike of course), I'd have gone.

I went to the 2012 Winter Classic after getting a free ticket through a friend...will try to work through my connections to attend the Stadium Series if I can.

#73 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Why wouldnt you want to go to this game?  First time in history devils will be playing in an outdoor game!!  Sure the couch at home is nice warm and you can stare into that thing that has moving pictures, but why?  I rather be at the game in the cold that watching the TV.

If it is not in your budget that is one thing, otherwise go! :yay: :wink2: :whistling: :blahblah: :blahblah: :ninja: :devil: :idea: :smilegah: :urg: :boogie:

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#74 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

Agreed, the whole ”its too cold” thing makes no sense. They are playing the Super Bowl in cold weather, along with countless other football games.

Buck up, put on some long johns and a coat and have a once in a lifetime experience!

#75 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

Agreed, the whole ”its too cold” thing makes no sense. They are playing the Super Bowl in cold weather, along with countless other football games.

Buck up, put on some long johns and a coat and have a once in a lifetime experience!

Awesome for you, do what makes you happy, and others will do the same.  Just because people have reasons for not going (they've been stated several times in this thread) doesn't make those reasons wrong or invalid by default. 

Just a theory on my part, but I think part of why some of the "I'd kill to go to one of these if the Devils play" crowd may have lost its enthusiasm is that the novelty of the event itself has worn off a bit...especially with so many games being played outdoors this year.  If the Devils/Rangers game was THE Winter Classic, I think a lot more people would've said "Screw the cold/sightlines/cost, I'm going!"    

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#76 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,032 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Awesome for you, do what makes you happy, and others will do the same.  Just because people have reasons for not going (they've been stated several times in this thread) doesn't make those reasons wrong or invalid by default. 

Just a theory on my part, but I think part of why some of the "I'd kill to go to one of these if the Devils play" crowd may have lost its enthusiasm is that the novelty of the event itself has worn off a bit...especially with so many games being played outdoors this year.  If the Devils/Rangers game was THE Winter Classic, I think a lot more people would've said "Screw the cold/sightlines/cost, I'm going!"    

And you know how incredibly silly that is right?  I have seen a lot of that phrase from a lot of Devils fans not going, but any non-delusional Devils fan knows the Devils would never ever be in a Winter Classic and this literally is the only way they could ever get an outdoor game.  Not only that, but what really is the difference between the Winter Classic and these SS games?  They are both worth 2 points, both are in outdoor stadiums not meant for hockey, will be cold and will cost a lot of money to go.  If the logo is the main reason they are staying away then they should realize it's either SS game or nothing at this point in terms of outdoor games.

#77 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

And you know how incredibly silly that is right?  I have seen a lot of that phrase from a lot of Devils fans not going, but any non-delusional Devils fan knows the Devils would never ever be in a Winter Classic and this literally is the only way they could ever get an outdoor game.  Not only that, but what really is the difference between the Winter Classic and these SS games?  They are both worth 2 points, both are in outdoor stadiums not meant for hockey, will be cold and will cost a lot of money to go.  If the logo is the main reason they are staying away then they should realize it's either SS game or nothing at this point in terms of outdoor games.

I agree.  Stadium Series/Winter Classic all the same thing

Unless people refuse to go to this game because they couldn't watch a 24/7 on HBO about it?!?

Makes no sense to me either.

#78 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,964 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

I think some people (and I'm not passively aggressively targeting anyone here, I mean it in the completely general sense) are just complainers by nature.

"Such bullsh!t man, the Devils will never get an outdoor game.  So unfaIr"

and then, naturally

"Man forget that, why would I go to an outdoor game when I could stay in on my warm couch for free.  So not worth it"

Can't please everyone.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#79 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,406 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:39 PM

Conversely the people worrying and ***ching about other fans really aren't any better. Besides have people really changed their tune, or is it more a case of some people complaining when we didn't have one and then others complaining they don't want to go afterwards. It's a board, generally the negative POV is going to be highlighted. Doesn't mean it's the 'same' people doing an about face.

Personally I've always wanted to see the Devils in an outdoor game, doesn't mean I want to actually GO to it myself. Why anyone cares whether other fans flip flop or not is beyond me.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 02 January 2014 - 12:45 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#80 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

I'm not saying the "logo" is the main reason, but for some I think it's definitely factoring in (not for me...I'm more trying to account for other viewpoints).  Like I said, if the Devils/Rangers were playing on New Year's Day in the Winter Classic, I think there'd be more enthusiasm (and not implying that there isn't any...clearly there's a lot of fans both Devils and Rangers that are very much into this, and those who aren't going are going to be watching somewhere).  Even if the WC is no more "important" from a standings and worth standpoint, I think the fact that there are a total of six outdoor games made this event lose something for some fans.   

Agree, the only way the Devils were getting an outdoor game was with the Stadium Series...it seems the only teams that get into the WC are Original 6 teams, the Pens and Caps (for obvious reasons), or, for whatever the reason, the Flyers.  It's great that the Devils are in an outdoor game (especially for Marty...I'd always hoped he'd get to be in one...that's probably the most compelling argument for the Devils appearing in this game.  Would've been nice if Marty was younger and less of a wild-card, but that is what it is...and at least the game is against a bitter rival).      

Is the SS oversaturation of a good thing?  We probably won't know the answer to that until after all of this year's SS games are completed, or if the NHL keeps doing it in the seasons to come.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 02 January 2014 - 12:49 PM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users