31 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 02:58 PM

To be fair that can be said for just about every team in the league.

People make a lot about the fact that an Eastern bubble team (the Devils) were dominated by a juggernaut of a team (the Blackhawks). It was to be expected, I'd say.

No way - not to that extent.  Otherwise the Blackhawks would be a 70% fenwick tied team.  They're not.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

There is almost nothing to it.  The Hawks gained the zone with impunity.

Because the Devils can't counter.   A goalie can't stop a team from skating in, but unless they were skating in every shift....

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:16 PM

Because the Devils can't counter.   A goalie can't stop a team from skating in, but unless they were skating in every shift....

Which they were, basically.  Go look at the shots on goal with the score tied with Schneider and Brodeur - there isn't a significant difference.

EDIT:  Not only is there not a significant difference, but Brodeur gives up more shots (as of Friday - could've changed by yesterday).  The idea that Brodeur magically clears pucks out that wouldn't've gotten out anyway - well, I guess this is where I say, watch the games.  He helps, but it isn't like Schneider is stapled in his own net, either.

Edited by Triumph, 24 December 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#24 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:27 PM

Which they were, basically.  Go look at the shots on goal with the score tied with Schneider and Brodeur - there isn't a significant difference.

EDIT:  Not only is there not a significant difference, but Brodeur gives up more shots (as of Friday - could've changed by yesterday).  The idea that Brodeur magically clears pucks out that wouldn't've gotten out anyway - well, I guess this is where I say, watch the games.  He helps, but it isn't like Schneider is stapled in his own net, either.

Go look at the shots on goal in any situation FOR.    That's the major difference, they can't escape their own zone.   If a team gains the zone, they're going to get shots.   I think the worst game they've played with Marty in net was the Sharks game, and that was a 30-20 advantage for the Sharks.   They have had some scary low shot totals some games where Schneider is playing.   

I know that sh% was brought up and yeah, that will tend to balance out, but I'd be interested in seeing how many more shots they per game in Marty's starts compared to Schneider's, I'm far too lazy to go through that many box scores, though

#25 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,380 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:47 PM

Go look at the shots on goal in any situation FOR.    That's the major difference, they can't escape their own zone.   If a team gains the zone, they're going to get shots.   I think the worst game they've played with Marty in net was the Sharks game, and that was a 30-20 advantage for the Sharks.   They have had some scary low shot totals some games where Schneider is playing.   

I know that sh% was brought up and yeah, that will tend to balance out, but I'd be interested in seeing how many more shots they per game in Marty's starts compared to Schneider's, I'm far too lazy to go through that many box scores, though

Devils average 25.7 shots for in Brodeur's starts. For Schneider's starts they average 23.6 shots for.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#26 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:52 PM

Devils average 25.7 shots for in Brodeur's starts. For Schneider's starts they average 23.6 shots for.

Not as bad as I expected considering the 4 games where they were in the low teens.   Should only be a .17 GF advantage assuming an 8.5 shooting %

Edited by maxpower, 24 December 2013 - 03:54 PM.

#27 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,505 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:58 PM

I remember seeing that SH % with Marty was around 11% while with Cory it was 6%.

#28 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

It's a stable number too, running each goalies last 10 games, it's 27 per for Marty and 24.8 for Schneider.   Should be a .187 difference, otherwise known as about 2 goals over 10 games.

#29 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:19 PM

The shots for are also going to depend heavily on the opposition - we know Schneider has faced more difficult competition.  I think that differential is about what we would expect.

Again, if this were a thing, we'd've seen it in other years.  It isn't.

Edited by Triumph, 24 December 2013 - 05:21 PM.

#30 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:39 PM

To be fair that can be said for just about every team in the league.

People make a lot about the fact that an Eastern bubble team (the Devils) were dominated by a juggernaut of a team (the Blackhawks). It was to be expected, I'd say.

well there is a middle ground- a team can break even in chances and still look respectable, when we break even in chances usually the other team makes out like bandits.

So like I said, unless we dominate in puck possession, our defensemen aren't good enough to keep the puck off net. I guess what I'm getting at is the system is what leads to limiting other teams chances, not the quality of talent.

When a team like the hawks just abuse our system, we don't have the talent to make up for it.

#31 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:02 PM

I forgot the part where goal tenders score goals.

I'm not going to blame corey for losses where he held the other team to 2 goals and we didn't win. He's a good goal tender not a machine. There are only 2 games I really put on him this season, the rest of his losses were not his fault.

The one thing hes terrible at is the shoot out, but we can't score on those anyway so it doesn't really matter.

People often go around saying players are good or bad in the shootout.  It's one on one, its a coin toss, I don't feel like skill has a whole lot to do with it at times.

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#32 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,407 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:14 PM

No way - not to that extent.  Otherwise the Blackhawks would be a 70% fenwick tied team.  They're not.

Against Eastern teams they're 68%, which is hilarious.

Edited by Marshall, 24 December 2013 - 06:14 PM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users