51 replies to this topic

#41 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,376 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 10:08 AM

I love deboer and do give him credit for the finals team but don't act like kovy wasn't a big part of it. In the end you were still right all along, but kovy and some other high end players were a big part of that team too, not just giontas and Salvador's.

I wasn't denying that Kovy, Parise, and Elias were not part of.  But expectation of high profile players are much higher.   It was not until an AHL player in Gionta came in and transformed the forth line out of nowhere and gave us the ability to roll four lines in the playoffs which is what successful teams need.   Salvador lead all NHL defensemen in points which was another miracle in my eyes.   That is not going to happen again.

The stars aligned for us that playoff run with a pretty average team.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#42 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:03 PM

I wasn't denying that Kovy, Parise, and Elias were not part of.  But expectation of high profile players are much higher.   It was not until an AHL player in Gionta came in and transformed the forth line out of nowhere and gave us the ability to roll four lines in the playoffs which is what successful teams need.   Salvador lead all NHL defensemen in points which was another miracle in my eyes.   That is not going to happen again.

The stars aligned for us that playoff run with a pretty average team.

You're correct it was an average team and the star aligned to help them get to the finals. Not happening this season. Didn't happen last season. Didn't happen the year before the final run either.

#43 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:42 AM

You're correct it was an average team and the star aligned to help them get to the finals. Not happening this season. Didn't happen last season. Didn't happen the year before the final run either.

I don't agree that the 2011-12 team was average.  They were definitely buoyed by shootout success in the regular season, especially early on (12-12-1 with 6 shootout wins to start, when they looked shaky for significant portions of those 25 games), but they played well for most of the rest of the regular season and playoffs, had three 30+ goal-scorers to boot (Elias scored 26 as well), and got very good goaltending from Marty for his last 50 games (reg season and playoffs combined). 

2010-11 was a classic case of everything possible going wrong.  Sometimes that happens.  That team probably makes the playoffs most seasons.       

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#44 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

I don't agree that the 2011-12 team was average.  They were definitely buoyed by shootout success in the regular season, especially early on (12-12-1 with 6 shootout wins to start, when they looked shaky for significant portions of those 25 games), but they played well for most of the rest of the regular season and playoffs, had three 30+ goal-scorers to boot (Elias scored 26 as well), and got very good goaltending from Marty for his last 50 games (reg season and playoffs combined). 

2010-11 was a classic case of everything possible going wrong.  Sometimes that happens.  That team probably makes the playoffs most seasons.

If you take away the shootout success would they have made the playoffs in 11/12 season? I can remember. That makes them average to me.

#45 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:22 AM

If you take away the shootout success would they have made the playoffs in 11/12 season? I can remember. That makes them average to me.

Apparently you can't remember.  The Devils finished 10 points ahead of the 7th and 8th place teams, and 13 points ahead of the 9th place team.  They went 12-4 in the shootout.  Even if they had been, say, 4-12 in the shootout, there's still a good chance they would have gotten in...it's not like they barely squeaked in on the strength of shootout points.  And the fact that the Devils did well in the shootout shouldn't really have come as a surprise...to that point, since their implementation, the Devils had been quite good in them, and two of the major players in the Devils' prior success (Parise and Brodeur) were on the team...at the very least, the Devils should've been expected to go at least 8-8 in their 16 shootouts that season, probably 7-9 at worst.  The big surprise performer that year was Kovalchuk (who suddenly became about three times as effective in SOs than he had been previously). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 26 December 2013 - 10:22 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#46 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

And not to forget the points that the other teams gained from the shootouts.

Devils.

#47 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:48 AM

And not to forget the points that the other teams gained from the shootouts.

Yes, every team that made the EC playoffs that year had at least 4 extra points earned via shootout wins.  LD is acting like all 12 extra points the Devils "earned" in their shootout wins were bogus, as though the the Devils should've gone 0-16 in their shootouts and finished the season with 90 points (Boston and Pittsburgh went 9-3 in their shooouts...guess their extra SO points shouldn't count either). 

#30 FOREVER!

#48 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yeah that team was a great one that was held back by goaltending during the regular season more than anything else. They had five 20 goal scoters plus henrique and zubrus with 16 and 17.

They were balanced offensively and played good team defense, the run they made was not a fluke, except for the fact that Marty played above average in the playoffs.

#49 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,352 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:09 PM

Yeah that team was a great one that was held back by goaltending during the regular season more than anything else. They had five 20 goal scoters plus henrique and zubrus with 16 and 17.

They were balanced offensively and played good team defense, the run they made was not a fluke, except for the fact that Marty played above average in the playoffs.

In fairness, Marty's improved play started earlier than the playoffs.  He had a .920 save% over his last 50 GP of that season (regular season and playoffs combined).  And the team WAS shaky as whole in their first 25 games...they were adjusting to not having Zajac, and DeBoer's system.  6 regulation wins in 25 games is pretty rough.   

#30 FOREVER!

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,541 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:55 PM

Their power play was atrocious, that was really what was sinking them.  They also didn't have a 3rd line and the 4th line was a total black hole.  It was 7 forwards holding on for dear life a lot of nights.

Funny that the Capitals are (or were) in a similar boat - 9 regulation wins in 36 games

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#51 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:15 PM

Today's line-up makes me go back to questioning him a lot.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#52 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,243 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:40 PM

Today's line-up makes me go back to questioning him a lot.

as long as they pull out with a win i dont care who plays with who... they lose and bet your ass im coming running with my pitch fork
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users