174 replies to this topic

#21 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,515 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:59 AM

It is what it is.  It's especially tough to take because the Devils went from being the team that had been among the very best at this thing to the very worst...seemingly overnight. 

But the whole thing is based on luck anyway.  Hopefully your goalies and your key players are terrific in them, or at least good enough to get you roughly half of the extra points available.  Devils enjoyed a lot of luck in this area for several seasons.    

The problem is when you seem to have no one who can succeed in shootouts, you're kind of fvcked.  You're not going to trade for a goalie simply because he's a good shootout guy, and you're not going to seek out a good shootout scorer if he can't do much elsewhere to help you.   

It's easy to piss on the coach's shootout selections, and I'll be the first to admit I didn't get Ryan Clowe (would've rather seen Boucher, for no other reason than he actually scored), but can I really blame DeBoer for going to Elias and Jagr?  As opposed to whom?  This is the kind of stuff that will always be second-guessed, because it's easy to do...if Elias had been bypassed last night, and the result had been the same, fans would've been bitching about Elias not being used.  When it comes to the shootout, at this point, it truly feels like DeBoer and the Devils are damned no matter what they do.  There were fans friggin' bitching about his choices when the team went 12-4 in the shootout in '11-'12.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#22 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:10 AM

I asked last night without an answer, but is this team the worst in NHL history with regards to shootouts? Anyone know where those stats are available?

#23 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:31 AM

I asked last night without an answer, but is this team the worst in NHL history with regards to shootouts? Anyone know where those stats are available?

The worst record I can find is the Caps in '06/07 going 1-11.  The worst shooting percentage is Carolina that same year (1-17).  We're currently 0-6 record and 1-20 shooting.

I just went NHL.com, shootouts/team totals and clicked through every year.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#24 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:01 PM

I would have let that guy who was within two inches of winning score-O be one of them :P

that guy sat next to me actually. All he wanted was to make the first one, and was thrilled to make the 2nd. The people behind the scenes were PRAYING he didn't get the car haha

but holy crap that was an embarrassing shootout "attempt" just... blargh  

POTATO!!!

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:12 PM

He sits Boucher because he's cold from not playing one period then puts out Clowe who's played one game in two and a half months, and probably hasn't been a good offensive player/SO player in two years.  True hilarity.

Boucher played like he's the one who was out for 3 months.  I'm sure that offensive ability and shootout ability just go hand in hand - that's why Matt Hendricks is lighting it up for Nashville.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:58 PM

Why the fvck can't we make Jags bite the bullet and play the shootout. He's our most skilled player for God's sake, so what if he doesn't "like it" doesn't he "not like" losing every shootout this year too?? Hell even get Gelly in there and let him start slapping them, he can't do any worse than Patty Trav and Henrique

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#27 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,445 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

Boucher played like he's the one who was out for 3 months.  I'm sure that offensive ability and shootout ability just go hand in hand - that's why Matt Hendricks is lighting it up for Nashville.

Did you see Clowe's first two attempts this season?  They were awful.  He was 0-3 last year too.  People talk about his career shootout record but the last time Clowe was any good in the shootout was 2011, which coincidentally was the last time he was a legit offensive player.  He's older and whatever step(s) he's lost has really hurt his offensive game on the whole - standard and shootouts.

Why the fvck can't we make Jags bite the bullet and play the shootout. He's our most skilled player for God's sake, so what if he doesn't "like it" doesn't he "not like" losing every shootout this year too?? Hell even get Gelly in there and let him start slapping them, he can't do any worse than Patty Trav and Henrique

Did you not notice he was shooting first last night?  He's 0-2 this year himself.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#28 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Did you see Clowe's first two attempts this season?  They were awful.  He was 0-3 last year too.  People talk about his career shootout record but the last time Clowe was any good in the shootout was 2011, which coincidentally was the last time he was a legit offensive player.  He's older and whatever step(s) he's lost has really hurt his offensive game on the whole - standard and shootouts.

Wow, 0-3 - well, that settles it, guess he is bad now.  Hmm, unrelated, but this coin came up heads 5 times in a row, it's my new lucky coin.

#29 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:05 PM

Did you not notice he was shooting first last night?  He's 0-2 this year himself.

I didn't get to watch last night, are you talking about Jagr or Gelinas?

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#30 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Let Bernier and Gionta give it a whirl

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#31 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:32 PM

I didn't get to watch last night, are you talking about Jagr or Gelinas?

He is speaking about Jagr who was first in the shootout last night.

Booze does make one speak without knowledge. Have a nice day. Be careful out there you could get hurt.

#32 Jerseydevils0324

Jerseydevils0324

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:43 PM

The shootout is one area of the game that I think Teddy can excel in. Just bench him all game and if it comes down to the shootout, throw him in haha. But I honestly would of went with Teddy last night. He probably has the best set of hands and moves on the team. It could only help his confidence.

Other than that, people who complain are stupid. Do we see who has the best shootout moves in practice? No. Pete gets to see that kind of stuff. I wouldn't argue with many of the choices... more so bad luck if anything. I agree he should mix it up a bit more, especially with recent results.

Edited by Jerseydevils0324, 28 December 2013 - 05:44 PM.

#33 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

i know zajac plays well but when he rings one off the pipe and in postgame comments how they need to win the shootout i get riled.

last game i listed to myself who should shootout beforehand and i had elias and clowe on that list. who would argue jagr besides himself.

i had ryder and boucher on that list as well, but game play does factor into who i want on shootout, which also means that you dont automatically go to the same 2 or 3 guys everytime either.

in other words my list was wrong however agreed with debo :idea:

Edited by lazer, 28 December 2013 - 05:55 PM.

Posted Image

#34 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:04 PM

Elias' shot from last night shouldn't count as an attempt. Pretty sure anyone could fire the puck directly into the goalie's chest.

#35 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 08:13 PM

Elias' shot from last night shouldn't count as an attempt. Pretty sure anyone could fire the puck directly into the goalie's chest.

atleast he realized and said it was a complete garbage attempt
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#36 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

atleast he realized and said it was a complete garbage attempt

He's got good character, I'll give him a pass on the total brain fart that was that shot.

#37 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

He's got good character, I'll give him a pass on the total brain fart that was that shot.

I don't think it was a brain fart. He was probably attempting this...

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#38 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 10:17 PM

I don't think it was a brain fart. He was probably attempting this...

hey ya cant nab it every time!
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#39 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,913 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

Its not really about luck its all about skills. Its not a coincidence that were in the bottom of the league in scoring and not scoring against a goalie by himself. Also not a coincidence that when kovalchuk was not scoring in the last 2 seasons that we were not winning in the shootouts. We were winning because of kovy and zach all the time, after them we had nothing.

In my mind brunner, boucher, jagr, teddy and elias should be the best we have based on their hands, they know how to undress a goalie. But apparently, not the case

Edited by SterioDesign, 28 December 2013 - 11:49 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#40 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 01:03 AM

Its not really about luck its all about skills. Its not a coincidence that were in the bottom of the league in scoring and not scoring against a goalie by himself. Also not a coincidence that when kovalchuk was not scoring in the last 2 seasons that we were not winning in the shootouts. We were winning because of kovy and zach all the time, after them we had nothing.

In my mind brunner, boucher, jagr, teddy and elias should be the best we have based on their hands, they know how to undress a goalie. But apparently, not the case

'After them we had nothing' - Elias is a 36% lifetime shooter and was 6 for 12 that season, but yeah, I agree, nothing.  Clowe is also around that mark lifetime.  Hard to do significantly better than that - certainly Parise was better.  That's what I mean when I say luck - the Devils were 28 for 49 in 2011-12.  If the Devils were one person, that's better than any shooter in league history with more than 25 attempts.  Frans Nielsen is 53% in the shootout lifetime in 52 attempts.

I don't care what team you are - an ECHL team would do better than 1 for 20 in the shootout against an NHL team.  NJ is a below average shootout team, that doesn't mean they should lose every one.  

Edited by Triumph, 29 December 2013 - 01:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users