#81 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

Just let Marty Shoot!

Would have loved to see that last night.  He was not in goal...

Is there a rule against this?  Or could Marty have shot last night? 

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#82 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

I just don't see the downside of practicing the shootout from time to time at the end of the practice. It gets the players a little more in the rhythm and might help them get over their mental block. 

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#83 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,844 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

Devils have a higher shooting percentage during the game than their shootout shooting percentage. That is all sorts of pathetic

#84 Steadevils

Steadevils

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

The look of being defeated heading in to the shootout has led right in to uncreative and poor attempts. Even after the game the quotes are downtrodden and have an "we can't win them" feeling. Deboer needs to find a way to make this stupid thing fun again. I'd throw out Bouch first for his rookie enthusiasm/skill then throw out someone who the rest of the guys would enjoy seeing take an attempt like carter, zuby or even volch. At least we'd get some smiles on the bench out of it and anyone in the NHL has the ability to score a breakaway, so it's not like it'd be a total joke. Having a 'wildcard' type could bring some positive vibes to the shootout.  

"I realized from Day 1 the way I played I'd never be a Gretzky or a Lemieux, well, a Mario I mean. I was never going to be a player to get standing ovations in a visitors' building."

-- Claude Lemieux - May 7, 1999

#85 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:16 PM

Would have loved to see that last night.  He was not in goal...

Is there a rule against this?  Or could Marty have shot last night? 

This, I'd like to know too!

#86 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,135 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:17 PM

Goalies are not allowed to cross the red line...I'm not sure if this applies to shootouts as well.

Edited by '7', 17 January 2014 - 02:21 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#87 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,369 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Goalies are not allowed to cross the red line...I'm not sure if this applies to shootouts as well.

That rule certainly cannot be applied to a shootout

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#88 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:30 PM

Should have pulled Cory with 40 seconds in overtime

#89 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:41 PM

Should have pulled Cory with 40 seconds in overtime

Too risky.... if Colorado scores in the empty net, we lose the loser point.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#90 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:44 PM

Too risky.... if Colorado scores in the empty net, we lose the loser point.

In overtime?

#91 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

In overtime?

Yeah, I guess they wanted to discourage that. I was pretty sure, but when I saw you suggest it, I checked to be sure

84.2 Overtime – Regular-season – Extra Attacker - A team shall be allowed to pull its goalkeeper in favor of an additional skater in the overtime period. However, should that team lose the game during the time in which the goalkeeper has been removed, it would forfeit the automatic point gained in the tie at the end of regulation play, except if the goalkeeper has been removed at the call of a delayed penalty against the other team. Should the goalkeeper proceed to his bench for an extra attacker due to a delayed penalty call against the opposing team, and should the non-offending team shoot the puck directly into their own goal, the game shall be over and the team that was to be penalized declared the winner.

Once the goalkeeper has been removed for an extra attacker in overtime during the regular-season, he must wait for the next stoppage of play before returning to his position. He cannot change “on the fly.” If he does, a bench minor penalty shall be assessed for having an ineligible player.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#92 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Yeah, I guess they wanted to discourage that. I was pretty sure, but when I saw you suggest it, I checked to be sure

I knew this rule existed but I'm still not quite sure the reasoning behind it. It seems like they want to dissuade teams from trying to win in OT and force more shootouts... but wouldn't it make for more exciting hockey to have an empty net in OT?

Not that it would happen very often (if ever), but I'm trying to think of the motivation behind preventing it.

#93 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,062 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:00 PM

Huh wow, I had NO idea that rule existed.  I was all for PDB pulling for an extra attacker there.

Good to know.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#94 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,409 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Huh wow, I had NO idea that rule existed. I was all for PDB pulling for an extra attacker there.

Good to know.

Neither did I. Interesting rule. I had no clue about it until now.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#95 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,056 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up DD56. I think that rule is rather ridiculous, what's the point? 

#96 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:30 PM

Wow, thanks for the heads up DD56. I think that rule is rather ridiculous, what's the point? 

I remember when they put this rule into effect, it was before the shootout existed. Some of the discussion centered around odd playoff implications. I can't remember what they are, but there were some situations in which a team would have nothing to lose by pulling a goalie for the entire overtime. They did not want that.

#97 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,649 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

wow that is very interesting i had absolutely no idea about that rule either!.. at that point especially if your a team like ours where we are going to need every point that we can get...not worth taking that risk
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#98 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

The look of being defeated heading in to the shootout has led right in to uncreative and poor attempts. Even after the game the quotes are downtrodden and have an "we can't win them" feeling. Deboer needs to find a way to make this stupid thing fun again. I'd throw out Bouch first for his rookie enthusiasm/skill then throw out someone who the rest of the guys would enjoy seeing take an attempt like carter, zuby or even volch. At least we'd get some smiles on the bench out of it and anyone in the NHL has the ability to score a breakaway, so it's not like it'd be a total joke. Having a 'wildcard' type could bring some positive vibes to the shootout.  

Maybe DeBoer should just ask the players themselves which ones want to take a turn in the shootout. I gotta imagine at least one or two of those lower-rung guys must be itching to have at it, LOL.

#99 snartly

snartly

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Just realized that even if we even only won 3 shootouts this season (3-5) we would be second in the division.

#100 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 10:40 AM

Just realized that even if we even only won 3 shootouts this season t(3-5) we would be second in the division.

Only by the present numbers other teams have games in hand

Edited by LucifersDog, 18 January 2014 - 10:41 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users