Photo

Has Adam Larsson Really Improved as a Defenseman?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:27 AM

Larsson is a keeper.  He is only 21.   I wish Larry Robinson were still here to develop him more (no offense to Scotty, but Larry was just a great teacher). 

I think mentally, because he seems to be always paired with older players, he is too hesitant and defers to the vets, instead of playing instinctively.   When he is paired with younger players he tends to be himself.  He and Gelinas were solid and had a great chemistry.

D-Men take far more time to develop.  He could be a staple here for the next decade with the right coaching.

I agree I hope when he comes back DeBoer doesn't screw with his head.

#22 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:19 AM

I agree I hope when he comes back DeBoer doesn't screw with his head.

larsson needed some head screwing, and looking at his improved play behind the net, it appears to have worked. now, time to sit eric and have him watch what the vets do in various breakout situations. and watch how fayne handles a 1 vs 1 against speed

#23 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:41 AM

IMO they're both faltering. I've seen Merrill caught out of position a couple times in bad spots. Not sure either needs to be benched or sent down, but it's not just Gelly having growing pains.

I agree, I think Merrill is the least prepared.   He needs more seasoning and will probably be sent down as everyone is gettting healthy.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#24 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I agree, I think Merrill is the least prepared.   He needs more seasoning and will probably be sent down as everyone is gettting healthy.

i was thinking this exactly as well.. its quite clear he isnt really ready to be up here yet.. he makes just way too many mistakes on a nightly basis that if they dont cost the team they are damn near close to costing the team.. no doubt in my mind that he will be a nice addition to the unit to have once he is ready but he just isnt there yet.
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#25 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 06:54 PM

Exactly. While hes done an admirable job stepping up to this level, Merrill is not NHL ready. His skating needs work, too. He should be the man sent down when everyone is healthy.

#26 Ollie McKraut

Ollie McKraut

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

Larsson is a bust

Send us back to hell,
we've had out fill of heaven,
give us back our sins,
deadly one through seven

#27 leeski

leeski

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:16 PM

I think relative to his draft position, Larsson is indeed a bust. But he can still be a reliable defenseman who can contribute.

#28 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 31 December 2013 - 11:18 PM

I think relative to his draft position, Larsson is indeed a bust. But he can still be a reliable defenseman who can contribute.

We've had this discussion in another thread, but no, he is not. He went 4th. He's a second pairing guy already, and could very easily be a top pairing guy in the next year or so. That's about what you expect with the 4th pick.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#29 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Even for his draft position, he is far from a bust.   It takes a least three years in the minors for a rookie to be prepared to play defense at the NHL level.

Larsson is 21 and already at that level.    Devils are doing exactly the right thing in developing him.   

In fact, Larsson is the only Defensemen in the top 30 picks in 2011 to be on an NHL roster.    From the 2010 class, only 2 of 8 (Fowler & Gudbranson) have made it to their NHL teams.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#30 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,817 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 02:32 PM

Even for his draft position, he is far from a bust. It takes a least three years in the minors for a rookie to be prepared to play defense at the NHL level.
Larsson is 21 and already at that level. Devils are doing exactly the right thing in developing him.

In fact, Larsson is the only Defensemen in the top 30 picks in 2011 to be on an NHL roster. From the 2010 class, only 2 of 8 (Fowler & Gudbranson) have made it to their NHL teams.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as that last part goes- Dougie Hamilton made the Bruins and I'm pretty sure Jonas Brodin was a top 30 pick that year too and he made Minnesota.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#31 itsfknnikp

itsfknnikp

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

The guy can't skate.

#32 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

Larsson is improving especially this year since we play them regulary.

#33 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as that last part goes- Dougie Hamilton made the Bruins and I'm pretty sure Jonas Brodin was a top 30 pick that year too and he made Minnesota.

You are correct Sir. 

I didn't see Hamilton on the depth charts, since he has been on IR, but yes, he is the #5 guy on a healthy Bruins D, which in my opinion is the best in the league.  It will interesting to see how they use him with Seidenburg out for the year.  But they are doing the same as we are with Larsson.

Brodin, I totally forgot about.  But he has been rushed since Minnesota is so bad on D.   Suter putting in 30+ minutes a night say's a lot of about the lack of confidence in the rest of the squad.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#34 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

Brodin could've won the Calder Trophy last year given how well he played.  This year he has not played very well.

Hamilton was also exceptional last year and is very good this year - he's being underused by the Bruins.  I think it is unlikely that Larsson turns out to be as good as Hamilton, but there's still time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#35 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

I always want him to play more physical. He's a big dude, I wouldn't mind seeing him throw his weight around a little more. 

#36 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:04 PM

I always want him to play more physical. He's a big dude, I wouldn't mind seeing him throw his weight around a little more.

i think all of our D needs to play a more physical game.. the entire team is not all that physical
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#37 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

i think all of our D needs to play a more physical game.. the entire team is not all that physical

A-train is physical, when he's not knocking himself unconscious

hopefully Adam gets back for the stars (might want to hold him out of the flyers game)

#38 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

He's skinny. I'm hoping as he gets older he fills out a little bit more, so he has some weight to throw.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#39 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

The thing that makes me nervous about Larsson is that we've been so patient with him but Gelinas has looked much better immediately and Merrill is getting there.

#40 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 12:39 AM

The thing that makes me nervous about Larsson is that we've been so patient with him but Gelinas has looked much better immediately and Merrill is getting there.

Gelinas has also had a few professional years in the AHL, keep in mind.

Merrill has not though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users