NFL Off Season 2014 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

99% of the time the racial slur that the NFL wants to eliminate is used...it's one black player saying it to another.

I think that silly Redskins issue is just about dead Beez. There was a full court press by the media and various other PC agitators in the Fall/Winter...but it's lost a lot of steam.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your right about both, its usually to each other and players have already made that clear. And two, what about when the refs do it? They flip out all the time and talk just like the players do, they are all grown men for gods sake.

99% of the time the racial slur that the NFL wants to eliminate is used...it's one black player saying it to another.

I think that silly Redskins issue is just about dead Beez. There was a full court press by the media and various other PC agitators in the Fall/Winter...but it's lost a lot of steam.

Reports are that the woman was knocked unconscious, with the caveat that these sorts of reports are often wrong.

But if it's true, I'm sure the PC police will be right on it after they've created a whole program to keep the Jonathan Martin's of the world from having their wittle feelings hurt.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PC police right after someone for knocking your wife out? What's wrong with you, man?

You must have been the big bully in school or were bullied to death and tried to block it all out. If you think what happened to Jonathan Martin was fine and the norm, well I guess there is no point in going further with this.

PC police right after someone for knocking your wife out? What's wrong with you, man?

You must have been the big bully in school or were bullied to death and tried to block it all out. If you think what happened to Jonathan Martin was fine and the norm, well I guess there is no point in going further with this.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was trying to get across that the media seemed more obsessed with Jonathan Martin getting his feelings hurt than Ray Rice knocking a woman out.

And Jonathan Martin has nothing to do with bullying notwithstanding what the media narrative says. He's a three hundred plus pound professional football player that makes millions of dollars. There are his texts where he talks about, shall we say, doing things to women that if it was your own daughter he was talking about you would go to his house with a loaded shotgun. There are pictures of him living it up at strip clubs treating women like garbage. He could dish it out when he wanted to, but he sure couldn't take it.

I was not bullied, nor was I a bully in the way I understand the term, which is picking on people that are truly defenseless. Jonathan Martin was not that person.

It won't go away. It's funny though, at the time, they actually changed the name to honor an American Indian coach. Most American Indians don't care about it, according to a few recent polls that I've read.

I don't see the big stretch since there's already 15 yards for taunting anyway. Other than the fact not everyone finds the same type of comments racially motivated.

When the ref calls your team for a crucial 15 yard penalty because of it, you'll be singing a different tune.

By the way, here's another example of how the sports media operates. Jeramy Stevens, for those who remember him, is truly the slime of humanity. He anally raped a woman in college, but nevertheless plays in the NFL. He then dates, beats up, then marries Hope Solo, and beats her up again. But it's wall to wall Richie Incognito/Jonathan Martin. Most people don't know about the former.

Your right about both, its usually to each other and players have already made that clear. And two, what about when the refs do it? They flip out all the time and talk just like the players do, they are all grown men for gods sake.

I can guarantee that midway through the 2014-15 NFL season, when some teams offensive line is in shambles...Richie Incognito's phone will be ringing

Yup. And fewer NFL players would mind it than NHLers if someone gave Sean Avery a call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't go away. It's funny though, at the time, they actually changed the name to honor an American Indian coach. Most American Indians don't care about it, according to a few recent polls that I've read.

When the ref calls your team for a crucial 15 yard penalty because of it, you'll be singing a different tune.

Number one, I'd be surprised if it came into play all that much.  I mean if you REALLY want to call someone some name you'll find a way to surreptitiously whisper it away from the refs.  Number two I'd like to think most people aren't stupid enough to go 'there' during games anyway.  And finally there are a million stupid rules already on the books anyway or overzealous interpretations of the rule (like running into the kicker).

I don't see why people are so up in arms about this other than it being another excuse to pile on Goodell.  Fifteen yards for excessive endzone celebrations or taking off your helmet is okay but fifteen yards for the n word and we have to protest the NFL? 

Number one, I'd be surprised if it came into play all that much. I mean if you REALLY want to call someone some name you'll find a way to surreptitiously whisper it away from the refs. Number two I'd like to think most people aren't stupid enough to go 'there' during games anyway. And finally there are a million stupid rules already on the books anyway or overzealous interpretations of the rule (like running into the kicker).

I don't see why people are so up in arms about this other than it being another excuse to pile on Goodell. Fifteen yards for excessive endzone celebrations or taking off your helmet is okay but fifteen yards for the n word and we have to protest the NFL?

Excessive celebration penalties I get, because you're making a spectacle of yourself, and it can really slow things down when you have a whole choreographed routine, although I never quite understood penalties for taking the helmet off.

This is just trying to invent a problem that requires an unnecessary solution. It's not an outrage, it's just silly.

Number one, I'd be surprised if it came into play all that much.  I mean if you REALLY want to call someone some name you'll find a way to surreptitiously whisper it away from the refs.  Number two I'd like to think most people aren't stupid enough to go 'there' during games anyway.  And finally there are a million stupid rules already on the books anyway or overzealous interpretations of the rule (like running into the kicker).

I don't see why people are so up in arms about this other than it being another excuse to pile on Goodell.  Fifteen yards for excessive endzone celebrations or taking off your helmet is okay but fifteen yards for the n word and we have to protest the NFL? 

I'm against penalties on players being emotional in the moment (or even if it was something pre-planned and absurd...it's still players being players....case in point TO and the star in Dallas....and the players policed themselves there....he tried it again and Darren Woodson CLOCKED him for it)..... Goodell is trying to turn the NFL field and locker room into a corporate office and it's just NOT possible, and I don't think there's an actual football fan who's ok with all this dumb stuff....but when they chip away and chip away and chip away....eventually you're going to snap and say ENOUGH

Plus it's a personal stance for me....it's a DAMNED WORD.....the only thing that gives a word power is people CHOOSING to let it bother them or empowering said word......go watch Blazing Saddles and imagine trying to get that movie done today....would NEVER happen

and one more reason it pisses me off.....so it's ok to show the hit that gets a guy carted off over and over again with his friends and family watching and the announcers will put on their "serious voice" as they drag the guy off the field with his horrific injury and that's ok....but god Forbid the guy says something "inappropriate".....people will lose their sh!t....it's a classic example of how screwed up our priorities are now

Florio is an ass. Never happened the GM didn't. Browns looked into it was all.

Whoa. what is up with the 49ers playing hardball with Harbaugh? trying to trade him for a first round pick to the Browns???? That is insane, fortunately Harbaugh vetoed the trade. The SF GM sounds like an ass.

I think Mortensen backed up that insane rumor though.  Sounds like SF is headed for a Jerry-Jimmy like divorce sooner rather than later.

It would have REALLY been a giant f-u to trade him to Cleveland considering he'd be coaching against his brother twice a year for the Siberia of the league, no less.

When it comes to Harbaugh or Ballke, SF takes the HC, he'll be resigned.

I think Mortensen backed up that insane rumor though. Sounds like SF is headed for a Jerry-Jimmy like divorce sooner rather than later.

It would have REALLY been a giant f-u to trade him to Cleveland considering he'd be coaching against his brother twice a year for the Siberia of the league, no less.

By the way, here's another example of how the sports media operates. Jeramy Stevens, for those who remember him, is truly the slime of humanity. He anally raped a woman in college, but nevertheless plays in the NFL. He then dates, beats up, then marries Hope Solo, and beats her up again. But it's wall to wall Richie Incognito/Jonathan Martin. Most people don't know about the former.

Didn't want to be the one to go there, but man, didn't you get the memo? Black on white crime doesn't count.

Didn't want to be the one to go there, but man, didn't you get the memo? Black on white crime doesn't count.

I really didn't want to turn it into that. And Incgonito's prior antics didn't really draw that much attention from the press at large. True, the press did try to play up the racial angle when the story broke, but that narrative fell apart when Pouncey and Jerry were involved. Bullying is the latest cause de celeb. I see it kind of like ADHD, it's a real problem for some people, but it's become wildly over diagnosed, and the symptoms have become more and more vague.

^ This just too idiotic to waste space on.

The reason the Cognito slurs are an issue is that it is a workplace issue, where the NFL and Dolphins could be found liable.

Jordan Gross retiring is a gigantic blow to the Carolina Panthers. Their O-line is a mess. He retires as pro bowler and had such a great quote "What better way to leave than when everybody's sad to see you go?"

He's the main reason why I hated the narrative that the Incognito-Martin thing is no different than any other locker room. It isn't, and I know that from the Panthers locker room, interviews and podcasts that Gross does with his teammates, etc. And now it is clear from his press conference. Dozens of former teammates and current teammates came out for him. Gross prepared a slideshow showing photos and telling stories about his career and his teammates. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We96vNsmHAw#t=12m30s

And to finish the press conference his teammates and staff prepared a flash mob style - barbershop quartet 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-m7tly23o

Jordan Gross retiring is a gigantic blow to the Carolina Panthers. Their O-line is a mess. He retires as pro bowler and had such a great quote "What better way to leave than when everybody's sad to see you go?"

He's the main reason why I hated the narrative that the Incognito-Martin thing is no different than any other locker room. It isn't, and I know that from the Panthers locker room, interviews and podcasts that Gross does with his teammates, etc. And now it is clear from his press conference. Dozens of former teammates and current teammates came out for him. Gross prepared a slideshow showing photos and telling stories about his career and his teammates. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=We96vNsmHAw#t=12m30s

And to finish the press conference his teammates and staff prepared a flash mob style - barbershop quartet 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs-m7tly23o

I didn't mean to say that every locker room is the same, or even that Incognito and company did not take things too far.  There is obviously a spectrum.  But what I can say with some amount of confidence is that there are locker rooms that are not appreciably different than the Dolphins, and that a lot of players were breathing a sigh of relief that Jonathan Martin was not their teammate.  The case in point was the early narrative that the veterans in the Dolphins locker room would extort money from the rookies.  While some teams I'm sure do not allow it, a lot of other teams traditionally have, and did things a lot worse than the Dolphins.  Just ask Dez Bryant about all of the money he had to shell out. 

My basic analysis of Incognito-Martin was this.  In the end Incognito is a big dumb animal, as I've always said, but, at least when it came to his own teammates, no one, except Martin ever thought it was a huge problem.  And ultimately, the discipline that came down on Incognito was appropriate, and probably Pouncey and Jerry.  They're supposed to be adults -- although that's probably expecting way too much from half of the players in the league -- and need to know when they took things too far.  But if what Incognito did was truly beyond the pale so far as what is generally expected among NFL players, there would be a chorus of current players that would be all over it, considering how much Incognito is disliked around the league for his play on the field. 

But what I cannot stand is the media narrative about "bullying" or workplace harrassment, which this most certainly was not.  And it absolutely makes my blood boil that O'Neill was fired based on information that was likely patently untrue (see my earlier posts), and that it's clear that Ross was lying when he said he would independently investigate and make his own decisions.  Ross better hope that Joe Philbin turns out to be Mike McCarthy and that Tannehill turns into something akin to Aaron Rodgers.  Otherwise, his, and Dolphins fans only hope is that somehow the Niners manage to screw up a really good thing with Jim Harbaugh, and that he'll accept the keys to the organization after the coming season.  Because no other head coach or GM candidate will have any confidence that the owner is not going to stab him in the back when things go south. 

Here's a story that won't get much attention but should: a pro football player using his time off to plan for life after football.

Bravo Mr. Elam

Re: Jordan Gross - I'm a firm believer of class in > class out, and it's clear that there's some class in that ol' Panther organization.

Good for him to go out on his terms, many players wish they could do the same

Here's a story that won't get much attention but should: a pro football player using his time off to plan for life after football.

Bravo Mr. Elam

Re: Jordan Gross - I'm a firm believer of class in > class out, and it's clear that there's some class in that ol' Panther organization.

Good for him to go out on his terms, many players wish they could do the same

Evidently, Tannehill has plans to go to medical school after his career's over.  He was premed at A&M. 

And just to be snarky, while Bill Polian was making a big deal that he kept poor character guys off of his board entirely, he did draft Rae Curruth.