Photo

NFL Off Season 2014 - Coaches, Caps, and Combines OH MY!

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#121 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:10 AM

Didn't want to be the one to go there, but man, didn't you get the memo? Black on white crime doesn't count.

^ This just too idiotic to waste space on.

The reason the Cognito slurs are an issue is that it is a workplace issue, where the NFL and Dolphins could be found liable.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#122 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

Jordan Gross retiring is a gigantic blow to the Carolina Panthers. Their O-line is a mess. He retires as pro bowler and had such a great quote "What better way to leave than when everybody's sad to see you go?"

He's the main reason why I hated the narrative that the Incognito-Martin thing is no different than any other locker room. It isn't, and I know that from the Panthers locker room, interviews and podcasts that Gross does with his teammates, etc. And now it is clear from his press conference. Dozens of former teammates and current teammates came out for him. Gross prepared a slideshow showing photos and telling stories about his career and his teammates. 

https://www.youtube....NsmHAw#t=12m30s

And to finish the press conference his teammates and staff prepared a flash mob style - barbershop quartet 

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#123 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:37 AM

Jordan Gross retiring is a gigantic blow to the Carolina Panthers. Their O-line is a mess. He retires as pro bowler and had such a great quote "What better way to leave than when everybody's sad to see you go?"

He's the main reason why I hated the narrative that the Incognito-Martin thing is no different than any other locker room. It isn't, and I know that from the Panthers locker room, interviews and podcasts that Gross does with his teammates, etc. And now it is clear from his press conference. Dozens of former teammates and current teammates came out for him. Gross prepared a slideshow showing photos and telling stories about his career and his teammates. 

https://www.youtube....NsmHAw#t=12m30s

And to finish the press conference his teammates and staff prepared a flash mob style - barbershop quartet 

I didn't mean to say that every locker room is the same, or even that Incognito and company did not take things too far.  There is obviously a spectrum.  But what I can say with some amount of confidence is that there are locker rooms that are not appreciably different than the Dolphins, and that a lot of players were breathing a sigh of relief that Jonathan Martin was not their teammate.  The case in point was the early narrative that the veterans in the Dolphins locker room would extort money from the rookies.  While some teams I'm sure do not allow it, a lot of other teams traditionally have, and did things a lot worse than the Dolphins.  Just ask Dez Bryant about all of the money he had to shell out. 

My basic analysis of Incognito-Martin was this.  In the end Incognito is a big dumb animal, as I've always said, but, at least when it came to his own teammates, no one, except Martin ever thought it was a huge problem.  And ultimately, the discipline that came down on Incognito was appropriate, and probably Pouncey and Jerry.  They're supposed to be adults -- although that's probably expecting way too much from half of the players in the league -- and need to know when they took things too far.  But if what Incognito did was truly beyond the pale so far as what is generally expected among NFL players, there would be a chorus of current players that would be all over it, considering how much Incognito is disliked around the league for his play on the field. 

But what I cannot stand is the media narrative about "bullying" or workplace harrassment, which this most certainly was not.  And it absolutely makes my blood boil that O'Neill was fired based on information that was likely patently untrue (see my earlier posts), and that it's clear that Ross was lying when he said he would independently investigate and make his own decisions.  Ross better hope that Joe Philbin turns out to be Mike McCarthy and that Tannehill turns into something akin to Aaron Rodgers.  Otherwise, his, and Dolphins fans only hope is that somehow the Niners manage to screw up a really good thing with Jim Harbaugh, and that he'll accept the keys to the organization after the coming season.  Because no other head coach or GM candidate will have any confidence that the owner is not going to stab him in the back when things go south. 

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#124 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Here's a story that won't get much attention but should: a pro football player using his time off to plan for life after football.

Bravo Mr. Elam

Re: Jordan Gross - I'm a firm believer of class in > class out, and it's clear that there's some class in that ol' Panther organization.

Good for him to go out on his terms, many players wish they could do the same

VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#125 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Here's a story that won't get much attention but should: a pro football player using his time off to plan for life after football.

Bravo Mr. Elam

Re: Jordan Gross - I'm a firm believer of class in > class out, and it's clear that there's some class in that ol' Panther organization.

Good for him to go out on his terms, many players wish they could do the same

Evidently, Tannehill has plans to go to medical school after his career's over.  He was premed at A&M. 

And just to be snarky, while Bill Polian was making a big deal that he kept poor character guys off of his board entirely, he did draft Rae Curruth. 

Posted Image
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.

#126 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Pitta re-ups with Baltimore for 5/32

Eagles sign Riley "Banning the N-word is a good idea" Cooper for 5/25 and Jason Kelce for 6/37.5 with 13 guaranteed.

Donald Butler re-ups with Chargers (shame on you ESPN for no contract terms).

And finally, the Saints seem set to use the Franchise Tag on Jimmy Graham and ignite a holy war over what position he really plays.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 28 February 2014 - 03:44 PM.

Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that

#127 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

Tag him as TE.

Eagles signed Maclin to one year.
http://profootballta...-one-year-deal/

49ers extended Kilgore for three more years as well as possibly bringing Hitner back.

Edited by CarterforPresident, 28 February 2014 - 03:53 PM.

#128 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:03 PM

Tag him as TE.

Eagles signed Maclin to one year.
http://profootballta...-one-year-deal/

49ers extended Kilgore for three more years as well as possibly bringing Hitner back.

I think Maclin's going to have a bounceback year, that's a quality signing.

As to the tag, all the Saints can do is say "I'm using the franchise tag on Jimmy Graham".  The league actually makes the determination as to what position he plays is paid as, and regardless of what they say, it looks like the losing side will file a grievance.

Edited by Hi, I'm VALUE!, 28 February 2014 - 04:04 PM.

#129 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

Well he should be tagged as a TE, he'll want the extra $5 million though. I'm sure a team would pay him like a receiver even though he isn't.

Panthers to use franchise tag on Hardy.

Seattle supposedly to let Bryant walk as well.

Oakland resigned Taiwan Jones for 5$ mill a year over four years.http://www.silverand...s-bad-precedent

SEATTLE released RICE and Bryanthttp://seattle.cbslo...se-bryant-rice/

Edited by CarterforPresident, 28 February 2014 - 04:25 PM.

#130 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

I like that we re-signed Pitta, but it cost us Leetch and our running game essentially.

Without Boldin, Pitta is not going to have as much space as he is accustomed.

IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#131 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:29 PM

Boldin resigns for two years with San Francisco. 2 years, 12 million and nine guaranteedhttp://profootballta...-next-24-hours/

Edited by CarterforPresident, 03 March 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#132 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:01 AM

Boldin resigns for two years with San Francisco. 2 years, 12 million and nine guaranteedhttp://profootballta...-next-24-hours/

Great move for SF. I hope the 6th round pick we got for Q at least makes the practice squad or is hired as a towel boy.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#133 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 03:39 PM

And so it begins for free agency...

Notable moves: Sam Shields is staying with the Packers, Red Bryant is a Jaguar, (N)Єverson Griffin amd Jasper Brinkley remain Vikings, and D'Qwell Jackson is a Colt.

And finally, in non-FA news ,William Clay Ford died at the age of 88.  RIP

#134 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:54 PM

Bennett is supposedly out in Seattle. Shields contract is gonna raise the price for others quickly that's a lot for a cb!

#135 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:48 PM

Jets cut Holmes

San Fran is gonna cut Rodgers

Pitt is gonna cut woodly

Carolina to try and trade smith

Bennett re signed with Seattle

#136 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:10 PM

Rumor has it Bucs are trying to move Revis

so yea. Revis to NE. Watch that happen

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#137 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,429 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:15 PM

Short of a trade in the next two days, the Buccaneers are expected to release CB Darrelle Revis by 4 p.m. Wednesday, per league sources.

Rumor has it Bucs are trying to move Revis

so yea. Revis to NE. Watch that happen

:rant:

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#138 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,114 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:34 PM

And doesn't that degrade the Jets pick from 3 to 4 if they cut him

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#139 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,794 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

@AdamSchefter: Short of a trade in the next two days, the Buccaneers are expected to release CB Darrelle Revis by 4 p.m. Wednesday, per league sources.

His cap hit makes it difficult for him to trade. I will take back all if those bad things I said about Ross and Dolphins management if we somehow manage to sign him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#140 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,326 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 08:48 PM

Revis to the Pats. fvck all our lives... Except CR lol.

It'll happen. Hope I'm wrong.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users