Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

Can't believe Bobby Ryan got left off.
It's a crime
And orpik? People love to suck the Penguins off

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#22 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 06:52 PM

Can't believe Bobby Ryan got left off.
It's a crime
And orpik? People love to suck the Penguins off

Orpik is a good NHL defensemen on NHL sized ice but I'm not sold on him for the larger ice.  If Bylsma isn't the coach, I don't see him making it.

#23 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Orpik is going to look like Sal out there...

All of these guys evaluating are trying to outsmart themselves and look like a Herb Brooks. No reason for Bobby Ryan not to be on this team. I'd be surprised if they medal.

#24 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Overall, this team isn't very good, nor is it intelligently constructed. We won't medal.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#25 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

More rest for NJ Devils players not going to the Olympics.  That's how I look at it...

#26 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:33 PM

Overall, this team isn't very good, nor is it intelligently constructed. We won't medal.

that's what happens when you get guys who put together gritty, defense minded, or in Burke's case, awful, teams to make teams on the big ice. Sooooo dumb. 

And Burke apparently said in Burnside's ESPN article he regrets taking Ryan over Johnson in Anaheim. Boy he's dumber than I thought

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#27 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 07:56 PM

I understand the bobby ryan omission - he was not going to get a top 6 role and USA is building a true "team", not an all star team. that i can accept.

the defense is an abomination plain and simple. martin, i suppose, can be acceptable over yandle/byfuglien. i don't like it but i can accept it.

orpik has no business on this team - none. on big ice, he is going to be completely useless. i think i'd rather santini than orpik.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#28 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,188 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:06 PM

That "True Team" crap is overrated. Canada didn't put together a true team roster at the 2002 Olympics and won gold. Superstars took on different roles with ease. 

Remember 2006 in Turin? Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios, Mark Parrish, Keith Tkachuk, Mike Knuble...gritty true team. Veteran leadership... 8th place. That team couldn't skate for beans

take the fastest most skilled players. end of discussion

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#29 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 892 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:08 PM

That "True Team" crap is overrated. Canada didn't put together a true team roster at the 2002 Olympics and won gold. Superstars took on different roles with ease. 

Remember 2006 in Turin? Derian Hatcher, Chris Chelios, Mark Parrish, Keith Tkachuk, Mike Knuble...gritty true team. Veteran leadership... 8th place. That team couldn't skate for beans

take the fastest most skilled players. end of discussion

Agree.

Better players = better team. No Bobby Ryan is an absolute joke.

-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#30 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 08:45 PM

Bobby Ryan should be there. I have no problem with Orpik, though. He was great 4 years ago.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#31 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,721 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

Bobby Ryan should be there. I have no problem with Orpik, though. He was great 4 years ago.

Orpik was great 4 years ago on a NA rink. Much bigger rink now. Speed is the name of the game.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#32 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 09:57 PM

Even with the Bobby Ryan snub (and I imagine he's the first injury replacement if someone goes down/can't go), there's two Jersey boys on the Olympic team in JvR and Carlson. That's pretty impressive.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#33 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

Greene is definitely better than Orpik.  Martin is debatable.  Schneider didn't deserve to go.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#34 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,904 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

Orpik was awful since that said great year.  Although he's been better last year and this year.  But seriously, Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league let alone US born d-men.  And how does Justin Faulk make the team?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#35 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

i am confused ...... what happens if someone on the roster happens to get injured before the start of the sochi games, is there a waiting list of players that get called up?

#36 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

Orpik was awful since that said great year.  Although he's been better last year and this year.  But seriously, Yandle is one of the best defensemen in the league let alone US born d-men.  And how does Justin Faulk make the team?

I respect healthy Orpik. Agreed Yandle is good, especially at replacing some of the goal scoring that they won't be getting from Rafa this time around. I also agree Greene should be there (but they fvcked that one up months ago). I just don't get the Orpik hate.

Orpik was great 4 years ago on a NA rink. Much bigger rink now. Speed is the name of the game.

I thought they expanded the rink for the Olympics? Am I remembering completely wrong?

Edited by mouse, 01 January 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#37 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:57 PM

I just don't get the Orpik hate.

Here? Well, for one, he's a Penguin and that tends to cloud judgments just like the other guy in this thread who bitched abut having three Rangers. Two, he's got a reputation as being dirty depending on what line you believe in. You have to think Bylsma knows him well enough to use him properly. One thing this team won't lack is jam but i think they put too much on that and sacrificed some skill.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 02 January 2014 - 12:07 AM.

#38 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:42 AM

I'm not sure Brooks Orpik is one of the top 20 US defensemen in the league right now.  I understand they wanted someone to penalty kill, but he's awful 5 on 5 at this level, and then throw in big ice - he's going to be the 7th D and will probably be getting 10 minutes a game but they could've done a whole lot better than him.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#39 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,372 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:19 AM

Greene can use the rest.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#40 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

Beating a dead horse here, but the Ryan snub is just awful. Big, physical, fast, complete player. The guy is having a monster season, too. IDK, there are locks on the team no matter what (Kane, Parise, Kessel, Kesler), but Bobby Ryan should have a spot over any other forward, imo.

Don't like Orpik over Yandle and Byfuglien either. Oh well, hopefully Faulk/Fowler/Carlson show up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users