91 replies to this topic

#41 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,409 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:52 AM

I understand the bobby ryan omission - he was not going to get a top 6 role and USA is building a true "team", not an all star team. that i can accept.

the defense is an abomination plain and simple. martin, i suppose, can be acceptable over yandle/byfuglien. i don't like it but i can accept it.

orpik has no business on this team - none. on big ice, he is going to be completely useless. i think i'd rather santini than orpik.

There is no reason Bobby Ryan shouldn't be on this team. He has the third most goals this year of any U.S. born player. Any claims that he was left off because the USA is building a "true team" is absolutely ridiculous. 

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#42 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:36 AM

I literally cannot understand the Ryan snub. I haven't heard one source that's agreed with that move. I don't have a problem with Orpik, while the ice is bigger, it's still hockey and there are hits, and Orpik is one of the best Americans at delivering them. But Shattenkirk? I dunno, I'd rather see Yandle over him.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#43 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:25 AM

Greene was never piss tested, correct?   Then he was never in their plans in the first place.    I think you have some dumb people in the process.  It took years for Bylsma to get the Pens' sticks aligned properly on the PP.   Don Waddell is around and supposedly his scouting reports were very important to the process. Of course, he works for the Pens.  lol.   I love the part where he trashes Byfuglien, forgetting that basically Byfuglien was their eventual return for Kovalchuk.   Burke is probably just drunk again.   The Ryan for Johnson comment is some really bitter sh!t. 

I wouldn't compare them to 06, though, that 06 team was horrible.   Nightmare combination of the guys from the 90's plus guys who were in over their heads

Edited by maxpower, 02 January 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#44 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:38 AM

This team looks SLOW. No pavelski, yandle, or ryan??

On a cool note, there are four players from our metro area on this team. You would have been institutionalized if you had said that ten-twenty years ago.

Edited by devlman, 02 January 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#45 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 07:04 AM

Paul Martin? Talk about overrated, that was a Bylsma request.  This team was picked as is before season began.  I'm glad most Devs are getting rest.  except Patty/Jagr/Zubbie?

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#46 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Wow really tough to root for so many players i despise. go USA ( i mumble.)

#47 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

This team looks SLOW. No pavelski, yandle, or ryan??

On a cool note, there are four players from our metro area on this team. You would have been institutionalized if you had said that ten-twenty years ago.

Pavelski is on the team.

I wouldn't say they are slow, they may not be the fastest team in the tournament but they have some guys who can fly...Kessel, Wheeler, Fowler, Kane, etc.

Edited by third man in, 02 January 2014 - 10:33 AM.

#48 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

A day later and there is more talk about the Jack Johnson snub than any defenseman. It just goes to show that if you have a "name" it goes a very long way even if you never live up to potential and haven't been very good for so a long time.

This could helps the Devils with Greene this off-season. If he is this underrated around the league, maybe he won't get the money I think he deserves.

Edited by devilsrule33, 02 January 2014 - 11:08 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#49 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

A day later and there is more talk about the Jack Johnson snub than any defenseman. It just goes to show that if you have a "name" it goes a very long way even if you never live up to potential and haven't been very good for so a long time.

This could helps the Devils with Greene this off-season. If he is this underrated around the league, maybe he won't get the money I think he deserves.

Well, Parise was relatively underrated until his contract was up and suddenly he was "a top 10 forward in the league" according to all the pundits.

#50 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,906 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:23 PM

Greene was never piss tested, correct?   Then he was never in their plans in the first place.    I think you have some dumb people in the process.  It took years for Bylsma to get the Pens' sticks aligned properly on the PP.   Don Waddell is around and supposedly his scouting reports were very important to the process. Of course, he works for the Pens.  lol.   I love the part where he trashes Byfuglien, forgetting that basically Byfuglien was their eventual return for Kovalchuk.   Burke is probably just drunk again.   The Ryan for Johnson comment is some really bitter sh!t. 

I wouldn't compare them to 06, though, that 06 team was horrible.   Nightmare combination of the guys from the 90's plus guys who were in over their heads

No, he wasn't, and honestly I can see why he wasn't (although again, it's beyond ridiculous that Jack Johnson is even in the conversation for team USA)

Waddell was removed from being GM by the time they got Byfuglien - Rick Dudley was behind that move.  That also wasn't their eventual return for Kovalchuk - they had Oduya and Bergfors and Cormier too.  Nonetheless Waddell was totally out a year later.

As for Ryan, he's not a play driver, but he does look to be one of the few shooting percentage drivers.  I dunno.  That's a tough call for me, though I guess the US does have room for that.  Still, he wears a defenseman's number as a forward.

Edited by Triumph, 02 January 2014 - 12:24 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#51 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,154 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

Jack Johnson and Callahan (in any sort of scoring role) being "locks" immediately kills any hope I had that the US team was being run by competent individuals.

Honest to God, Jack Johnson?  Have they not watched him play?  He's AWFUL in his own zone.  Yet he's a lock...

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#52 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,366 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:07 PM

Team USA should be run by Lombardi and Bowman. They're the only ones that made sense in the ESPN piece.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#53 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:17 PM

Hey, imagine they would have taken Ryan Carter and Stephen Gionta?

#54 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

Will be interesting to see how this turns out.  We are relying heavily on guys that have spent the better part of this season injured.  Plus, leaving a bonafide goal scorer in his prime at home because he's "not intense" and skates "sleepy" is a risky move for a team that will likely struggle to score goals against the top competition.  Yet again, in 2010 nobody thought much of the American team and they came a goal away from gold.

Posted Image

#55 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:08 PM

My brother summarized the team selection PERFECTLY:

"It seems like they picked this team on the last week of preseason and just stuck with it."

Look at the lineup and he's pretty much spot-on.

#56 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,323 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 02:27 PM

As for Ryan, he's not a play driver, but he does look to be one of the few shooting percentage drivers.  I dunno.  That's a tough call for me, though I guess the US does have room for that.  Still, he wears a defenseman's number as a forward.

so did russ courtnall (thanks to nhl '94, i remember this). to be fair, 9 was taken by michalek when ryan got there.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#57 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 03:55 PM

I'm really pissed Carter and Gionta didn't get considered...really pissed.

#58 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

I'm really pissed Carter and Gionta didn't get considered...really pissed.

LOL
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#59 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,518 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Jack Johnson and Callahan (in any sort of scoring role) being "locks" immediately kills any hope I had that the US team was being run by competent individuals.

Honest to God, Jack Johnson?  Have they not watched him play?  He's AWFUL in his own zone.  Yet he's a lock...

Johnson's a joke. Callahan's a perfect 4th liner for an Olympic team. Good enough to be there, willing to play the dirty role. If they use him right (limit his minutes, not expect a ton of scoring), he's a good fit.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#60 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

i love it! both will be rest for the playoffs race

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users