Tedenby on Waivers

sundstrom

Well, there's no way to look good there, you either get a 1st round pick claimed to keep a later round pick in the NHL who has options, or your 1st round pick goes through waivers, so no one else wants him.

It happens more often than you would think.  And it's been five years since he was drafted.  It's not a calamity.

It happens more often than you would think.  And it's been five years since he was drafted.  It's not a calamity.

You still look bad either way.   It's kind of silly too considering they use Boucher in a similar fashion (although he does play every night) when he should probably be playing top line minutes in the A... if you think he's a potential scorer type.

If he doesn't get claimed that answers your "trade value" question.  Next to go on waivers is Josefsson.

Loktionov got through too.   Tedenby's value is probably a 5 or a 6 or a reserve list scrub.  The issue with claiming someone is that you burn a reserve list slot without giving up one in return

Loktionov has never been put on waivers in his NHL career.

Tedenby's value is not a 5th round pick or a 6th round pick, it's nothing.  And like Daniel said, it happens more than you think - here, I'll go down the list of 1st round picks who've been on waivers who were selected in 2005-2008:  Brule, Skille, Lee, O'Marra, Parent, Lashoff, Bergfors (for the purposes of buyout), 06 has fewer guys, 07 has Thomas Hickey, Zach Hamill, Ellerby, Jon Blum - with 08, you've got Boychuk, Colborne was never on waivers but was dealt to avoid that - it happens.  He will almost certainly pass through, and why would Buffalo want him - they just dealt for Linus Omark who is a similar player but he actually scores at the AHL level.

Edited by Triumph

If he doesn't get claimed that answers your "trade value" question.  Next to go on waivers is Josefsson.

This would be a mistake. I believe there's still something with JJ for him to be able to be an NHL player. Tedenby is past that point now and quite frankly he was past that point two seasons ago.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Tedenby has talent, that much is hard to deny, it just doesn't translate well into devils hockey. He would fit in well with teams that player a quicker game like St. Louis (not that they specifically need him at the moment). I would be surprised if he isn't snagged by a team who needs scoring(buffalo, Calgary, Florida?), just to see if the piece fits the puzzle.

Loktionov has never been put on waivers in his NHL career.

I thought that as well, but I saw somewhere that he was put on, and cleared waivers a week before the Devils traded for him.  It was noted somewhere in the TG comments when the Devils traded for him, FWIW.

Tedenby has talent, that much is hard to deny, it just doesn't translate well into devils hockey. He would fit in well with teams that player a quicker game like St. Louis (not that they specifically need him at the moment). I would be surprised if he isn't snagged by a team who needs scoring(buffalo, Calgary, Florida?), just to see if the piece fits the puzzle.

Tedenby has skills.  I don't think he has much talent.  Difference to me is that talent implies 'NHL ability', and while Tedenby's skating and stickhandling are certainly attributes you'd want more of your players to have, the rest of his game is below-average at the NHL level.  There's just not enough there for him to be an NHL player.  Maybe he figures it out in a European league somewhere, but he just hasn't shown enough at the AHL level to make me think the Devils are misusing him.

I thought that as well, but I saw somewhere that he was put on, and cleared waivers a week before the Devils traded for him.  It was noted somewhere in the TG comments when the Devils traded for him, FWIW.

Both of these are incorrect, Loktionov would not have been eligible for waivers.

Tedenby has skills.  I don't think he has much talent.  Difference to me is that talent implies 'NHL ability', and while Tedenby's skating and stickhandling are certainly attributes you'd want more of your players to have, the rest of his game is below-average at the NHL level.  There's just not enough there for him to be an NHL player.  Maybe he figures it out in a European league somewhere, but he just hasn't shown enough at the AHL level to make me think the Devils are misusing him.

A small sample size (one or two games) but he was lighting it up on his "conditioning assignment", although probably too little, too late.  

Bergfors, Tedenby, Josefson, Urbom .. maybe it's time Lou and Conte got off the Swede bandwagon and started drafting (at least first round picks) from NA regularly.

Larsson is the only surviving exception right now.

Edited by Devilsfan118