Photo

Gelinas to be sent to AHL when Volchenkov returns.

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#41 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

They have too many defenseman, they had to send him down. As good as he played, he was only here because of injuries. The injuries having resolved, what are they supposed to do? I'm not a big Volchenkov fan but they aren't sending him down. Maybe Gelinas comes back up one day, maybe he becomes trade bait, I don't know. I sure hope he is part of our future.

#42 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

I understand Gelinas has had a rough go in December, but he brings an element that this team desperately needs.  Offense.

Merriil should have been the one sent down imo.  I haven't been too impressed with him.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#43 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,893 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

I understand Gelinas has had a rough go in December, but he brings an element that this team desperately needs.  Offense.

Merriil should have been the one sent down imo.  I haven't been too impressed with him.

Merrill's Pete's golden child.  Everyone else under 25 can **** off.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#44 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Merrill's Pete's golden child.  Everyone else under 25 can **** off.

Merrill has the potential to be a star defenseman in this league.  I understand his ceiling is higher than Gelinas, but Gelinas was actually putting up points.  Merrill hasn't. I'm not trying to attack Merrill here either.  But Gelinas is being punished for basically a 7 or 8 game stretch even if punishment wasn't Pete's intention.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#45 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:42 PM

Gelinas has been playing like dogsh!t and Merrill has been playing very well.  This is frankly, deserved - Gelinas's problem is not what he can do, but rather what he was doing - consistently blowing plays in the D zone and flubbing passes and shots too often.  One issue I do have is that it sure seems like when Gelinas was told to be more physical his game went into the toilet, and his physicality really hasn't helped much - too many hits thrown where the guy gets by anyway.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#46 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,118 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:49 PM

Gelinas has been playing like dogsh!t and Merrill has been playing very well.  This is frankly, deserved - Gelinas's problem is not what he can do, but rather what he was doing - consistently blowing plays in the D zone and flubbing passes and shots too often.  One issue I do have is that it sure seems like when Gelinas was told to be more physical his game went into the toilet, and his physicality really hasn't helped much - too many hits thrown where the guy gets by anyway.

This kind of mentality ruins young players.  He had a bad 7 game stretch.  Let him play through it.  

Merriill hasn't been bad.  But where is the dynamic offense he's supposed to have?  Merriil has made almost just as many mistakes as Gelinas has if not more.  He's also not nearly as disciplined as Gelinas.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#47 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

This kind of mentality ruins young players.  He had a bad 7 game stretch.  Let him play through it.  

He wasn't getting better.  He was getting worse with each game.  He will be back on NJ's roster soon, provided he doesn't do poorly in Albany.

Merriill hasn't been bad.  But where is the dynamic offense he's supposed to have?  Merriil has made almost just as many mistakes as Gelinas has if not more.  He's also not nearly as disciplined as Gelinas.

Merrill went his first 15 games without a penalty.  His 'dynamic offense' doesn't exist.  He's going to contribute offensively, but not in the way that Gelinas and Zidlicky do.  He's much better at breaking the puck out of his own zone and he plays a smarter game overall.  

Edited by Triumph, 04 January 2014 - 10:55 PM.

#48 DH26

DH26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Or you could end up with guys like Edmonton has where nobody learned jack squat and still plays like they're 18 and hate to play defense

Edited by DH26, 04 January 2014 - 10:57 PM.

Follow Me on Twitter @mtorino75 I Need Followers!

Visit My Devils Blog! www.theTrapezoidConspiracy.com
Rutgers-New Brunswick '11, Rutgers School of Law-Newark '14

#49 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,488 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:48 PM

Here's the thing of it - coaching has no issues fvcking around with younger players. Fine. But they just leave the old fvcks to hang with this bullsh!t that they're doing their job ( or not). They need help though. They stink guys. Spit? Seriously? How about energy sink? That's what they bring. How does that work for you? It's what I keep bitching about. Capable is not acceptable. Get that whole notion out of your head. You don't understand hockey if you think this core is to be counted on. Blahblahblah. Sorry. This is not Devils hockey nor is it devils defense. All you board oldies sound like you're spanking it trying not to offend the spirit of devils past. It's all such unbearable ineffectuAl lip service. No one is just facing the truth of it is all. Coach the old fvcks or dump them. This is all just bullsh!t unearned misplaced respect. Not even. It's like....submission to un talented overpaid vets sucking up with happy horsesh!t :puke: :argh: hey but whose watching... : yuck:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 January 2014 - 11:49 PM.

I'm here for the party

#50 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,417 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

This has always been the knock on gelinas since hes a kid that he wasnt physical enough, i dont think its gonna change much

www.SterioDesign.com

#51 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,430 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 02:19 AM

Gelinas is exactly what he was advertised to be.   It's a roster crunch move but it's going to look stupid in retrospect if it drags on through the Olympic break.  Of course, they could have just assigned him there for a few weeks right then, but hey, whatever works

#52 Jmorc2003

Jmorc2003

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:05 AM

When I was in hs I was playing varsity baseball as a soph, but started getting overwhelmed so I asked the coach if I could go play a few games at jv to get my confidence back. He f'n ripped me a new one. You never never ever ask to be sent down, no matter how logical it seems or comfortable it makes you feel. not saying gelinas asked to go to Albany, of course, but he should work his kinks out with the big squad. They know what he can do. The team is teetering on the brink as it is, and replacement (volch, sal?) clearly aren't the future (or the present).
These psychological, in the lineup, out of the lineup, up and down moves are bs. Put the best guys in there, let them learn, what have we got to lose? We lost to the sabres and only scored one f'n goal, so they send packing the best goal scoring defenseman? Good f'n plan. Maybe he'll learn his game and sign with Detroit or Chicago next contract time. No accountability on this team whatsoever. None.

#53 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,811 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 03:39 AM

You got a team like Edmonton. One dimensional. They can score. Can't play defense and are shut down easily. All that talented yet it's. gone to nothing over the years, wasted. Sending him down won't hurt us or him.

#54 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,623 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:23 AM

Here's the thing of it - coaching has no issues fvcking around with younger players. Fine. But they just leave the old fvcks to hang with this bullsh!t that they're doing their job ( or not). They need help though. They stink guys. Spit? Seriously? How about energy sink? That's what they bring. How does that work for you? It's what I keep bitching about. Capable is not acceptable. Get that whole notion out of your head. You don't understand hockey if you think this core is to be counted on. Blahblahblah. Sorry. This is not Devils hockey nor is it devils defense. All you board oldies sound like you're spanking it trying not to offend the spirit of devils past. It's all such unbearable ineffectuAl lip service. No one is just facing the truth of it is all. Coach the old fvcks or dump them. This is all just bullsh!t unearned misplaced respect. Not even. It's like....submission to un talented overpaid vets sucking up with happy horsesh!t :puke: :argh: hey but whose watching... : yuck:

Couldn't have said it better myself....no really, I could not have.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#55 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,131 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:59 AM

I really don't know what there is for him to learn down there. He is what he is, he'll dominate there offensively and play meh D against worse players as opposed to dodgy D against better players.

This is something that should be worked on at this level, but they have too many freaking players and it forces moves.

Absolutely agree. He's had enough time in Albany. Work on his game up here. We can sure use his shot and to replace him with Volch, Sal, or Merrill is not a move that improves our chances of winning. Merrill def needs to be sent down asap.

Edited by devlman, 05 January 2014 - 06:05 AM.

#56 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,743 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

Why is this hate for Merrill? he's been really good, realy good. Steady hand back there and he's been in the league for a month. 

I still want to see Gelly back up and paired with Larsson it was the best both of them played.

#57 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

Why is this hate for Merrill? he's been really good, realy good. Steady hand back there and he's been in the league for a month. 

I still want to see Gelly back up and paired with Larsson it was the best both of them played.

So do I, but then we end up praying for injuries.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#58 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Gelinas is exactly what he was advertised to be.   It's a roster crunch move but it's going to look stupid in retrospect if it drags on through the Olympic break.  Of course, they could have just assigned him there for a few weeks right then, but hey, whatever works

He's not though.  That's just it.  It's not a 'roster crunch' move - NJ could've waived Janssen.  They could trade Fayne in the next week, certainly.  But I don't think consistently flubbed passes and shots as well as constantly being beat wide were part of the Gelinas deal.  Poor D zone coverage, sure, that you can live with.  Other stuff, not really.

#59 mfitz804

mfitz804

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:31 AM

I'm really glad some of you guys aren't in charge of the roster. Not saying which ones.

Volchenkov is back, they needed to make room for a defenseman. It was either Gelinas or Merrill that had to go and they chose Gelinas. Had he been playing lights out, it would have been a tougher choice. But he wasn't and that made it easier.

#60 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,069 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:34 AM

BTW, here's Gelinas's last 9 games:

11 shots, 0 +/-. 46.7% shots %, 49.2% fenwick, 50.2% Corsi, zone start:  62.6% - that's unacceptable.  if he's eating up a lot of NJ's offensive zone draws and breaking even with them, NJ can use someone else in that spot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users