862 replies to this topic

#381 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:57 PM

If the Latvia score holds, that'll be another friggin' bye for the Canadians. Ugh...

Yep. Hopefully we get by the Czechs because we owe Canada... big-time.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#382 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

I have no schtick. I don't argue for both sides. Way to completely ignore when I actually admitted my mistake in the other thread.

I already am a great poster. Problem is you people like to interpret my posts in your own way. I don't leave my posts open to interpretation. I post what I mean and mean what I post. Period.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

After 2,719 posts in a 4 1/2 month span that's certainly not subjective by a lack of practice.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#383 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,252 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:07 PM

MB, KoolKoreanKid, whatever, I'm done with this...you know what you're doing (and I'm sure you'll continue to do it) and lame sayings like "I already am a great poster" and "I post what I mean and I mean what I post" don't change that fact.  That's all there really is to say about it. 

3-0 Czech Republic. Looks like I'll have to root against our guys tomorrow...

How good of a chance do the Czechs have to knock off the US?  I've been so busy trying to keep my biz going with all of the lost days due to weather that I haven't watched much Olympic hockey.  All I really have to go by are standings. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#384 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

This whole argument is why I hate the NHL's involvement in the Olympics.  Everyone is making broad judgements of each country based on a "tournament" that doesn't even equate to a seven game playoff series, with no preparation.   It is not in the sport's nature to have an NCAA March Madness style tournament.  Too many puck bounces, breaks, etc. could happen when the top teams meet.

It obviously would never happen, but if you want a true testament to each country's standing, there would need to be a full SC playoff style, best-of-7 series tournament.  Good luck ever seeing that.

#385 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Yep. Hopefully we get by the Czechs because we owe Canada... big-time.

The Czech's are looking good today but I think we can handle them. You're damn right we owe Canada... holy fvck am I going to be amped up for that.

#386 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

This whole argument is why I hate the NHL's involvement in the Olympics.  Everyone is making broad judgements of each country based on a "tournament" that doesn't even equate to a seven game playoff series, with no preparation.   It is not in the sport's nature to have an NCAA March Madness style tournament.  Too many puck bounces, breaks, etc. could happen when the top teams meet.

It obviously would never happen, but if you want a true testament to each country's standing, there would need to be a full SC playoff style, best-of-7 series tournament.  Good luck ever seeing that.

the majority of Olympic sports are based on two final heats. being the best in the world doesn't guarantee anything. skaters and alpine skiers fall once and are OUT!  you need to rise to the moment, which, imo , is exciting and unpredictable

#387 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

the majority of Olympic sports are based on two final heats. being the best in the world doesn't guarantee anything. skaters and alpine skiers fall once and are OUT! you need to rise to the moment, which, imo , is exciting and unpredictable

right on, you're not necessarily determining the best at something- in the words of rick moranis as the immortal danny o'shea in the 1994 classic little giants- "the cowboys may beat you 99 times out of a hundred, but that still leaves one time."

The Olympics isn't really about determining the best (otherwise the soviets would have won in 1980) it's about seeing who can win on any given day in a short tournament. Heck you could go as far as saying that in the nhl the presidents trophy winner should be awarded the cup if you just want it to go to the best team.

#388 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:02 PM

MB, KoolKoreanKid, whatever, I'm done with this...you know what you're doing (and I'm sure you'll continue to do it) and lame sayings like "I already am a great poster" and "I post what I mean and I mean what I post" don't change that fact. That's all there really is to say about it.

How good of a chance do the Czechs have to knock off the US? I've been so busy trying to keep my biz going with all of the lost days due to weather that I haven't watched much Olympic hockey. All I really have to go by are standings.

I haven't watched them very much other than when I was home for lunch today, but the Czechs have a shot to knock us off. We better show up, that's for damn sure or we'll have problems.

#389 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

Kopitar got sick too I think which is why he missed half the game vs the US.

Report was that he had a mild case of food poisoning.

Posted Image

#390 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

If Patty's out again, that will help the US as well. It will also be easier to root for the US if Patty isn't playing lol.

#391 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:04 PM

Found this gem on another forum :)

838924772.gif?1392369344

#392 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:10 PM

838924772.gif?1392369344

Is Jagr getting a vicious handy on the bench between shifts?  How is that suitable for primetime TV? 

Posted Image

#393 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Just checked the scores, 4-3 Czechs and 2-1 Latvia over the Swiss. Slovakia coming back.

#394 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Final score Czeck 5-3 the Slovakian team waited too long.
Lativa wins 3-1

Sweden 3 AM nbcsn
Russia 7:30 AM nbcsn
Canada noon MSNBC
USA. Noon USA channel

Edited by LucifersDog, 18 February 2014 - 02:44 PM.

#395 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

I can't believe Latvia pulled it off. They stand no chance versus Canada, though. Also, being of Czech descent and loving our Czechs that the Devils sent, I was hoping they'd medal, but no longer. My love of country is too strong. They need to show up for sure, but we will handle them, I'm sure. USA 4, CZE 2, I'm thinking...

#396 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:38 PM

Wow, that Latvia score is surprising. Good for them. Feel really bad for the Swiss, I thought they'd have a shot at bronze coming in. The Czechs haven't looked great, but obviously they can be dangerous if their game is on. I love the Czech style, I feel like they know the game better than anyone. I've seen a lot of over passing the few games I've seen them play. Maybe a confidence issue.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#397 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

It is not in the sport's nature to have an NCAA March Madness style tournament.  Too many puck bounces, breaks, etc. could happen when the top teams meet.

You could say that about every major non-US-market sport.

Posted Image

#398 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,252 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:33 PM

right on, you're not necessarily determining the best at something- in the words of rick moranis as the immortal danny o'shea in the 1994 classic little giants- "the cowboys may beat you 99 times out of a hundred, but that still leaves one time."

The Olympics isn't really about determining the best (otherwise the soviets would have won in 1980) it's about seeing who can win on any given day in a short tournament. Heck you could go as far as saying that in the nhl the presidents trophy winner should be awarded the cup if you just want it to go to the best team.

Does anybody really think the 1980 US team was truly better than the Russians?  If they played 10 times, the US would've been very lucky to win more than once.  I like that it comes down to one game in the Olympics, sure, hockey's a game of breaks at times, but you'd better bring your best that day...no mulligans.

If I want to see seven-game series to determine who's better, I'll watch the NHL playoffs.

Pretty sure I just threw up in my mouth a little. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#399 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

Does anybody really think the 1980 US team was truly better than the Russians?  If they played 10 times, the US would've been very lucky to win more than once.  I like that it comes down to one game in the Olympics, sure, hockey's a game of breaks at times, but you'd better bring your best that day...no mulligans.

You nailed it.

Posted Image

#400 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Does anybody really think the 1980 US team was truly better than the Russians? If they played 10 times, the US would've been very lucky to win more than once. I like that it comes down to one game in the Olympics, sure, hockey's a game of breaks at times, but you'd better bring your best that day...no mulligans.

If I want to see seven-game series to determine who's better, I'll watch the NHL playoffs.

right yeah I guess I didn't make it clear that I agree with this... I'm fine with the Olympics and enjoy them. Zman brought up how the tournament format is not an accurate test of the best countries, and I just responded that that's not what the Olympics try to measure.

Really in all honestly the European soccer leagues have the fairest format for determining "the best" - even schedule and best record wins, no tournament, no playoffs. But I'll take the entertainment and excitement of the Stanley cup playoffs anyday over such a format.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users