216 replies to this topic

#201 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

You have no idea what you are talking about. If you walked into a Macy's yelling lets go devils or kill you would get the same treatment as yelling you suck. You are talking about demeanor and disturbing the peace. saying you suck loudly and consistently in a public or private space may constitute disturbing the peace, but it surely isn't hate speech or rise to the level where a person could be cited or arrested for it if they said it in a normal tone and manner. And it makes no difference if what i am saying offends you. that is not the standard for what is legal and illegal speech. you have a right to free speech in truly public spaces, like a street or public park, and I hate to tell you this, but Macy's, Walmart, etc are not public spaces. That's why neo nazis can hold vile rallies in public parks, and not inside stores or places like prudential center.

I will tell you what, I will meet you at a bar near the arena, tell you you suck to your face and you can call the Newark police on me and see what happens. I guarantee I will get nothing but a stern talking to, if that. And by the way, I am a lawyer.

The whole free speech thing is absurd. The 1st amendment prevents the government from infringing upon your free speech. It doesn't apply to private ownership.

SHHHHH...don't go around now and let him know that....

Edited by TheRedStorm, 11 January 2014 - 05:07 PM.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#202 gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:02 PM

I haven't been reading this thread but I'm ready for the party poker arena takeover tonight! Paaaaaaarty poker! I'm gonna go all-in with a gamblin' Goose Island IPA and an Ace of Spades Sausage and peppers brought to you by Premio!

#203 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

I haven't been reading this thread but I'm ready for the party poker arena takeover tonight! Paaaaaaarty poker! I'm gonna go all-in with a gamblin' Goose Island IPA and an Ace of Spades Sausage and peppers brought to you by Premio!

premio fake italian sausage with the fakest italian taste!
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#204 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:10 PM

with the PartyPoker takeover and the fake Italian sausage it sounds like a real sausage fest !

#205 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

The whole free speech thing is absurd. The 1st amendment prevents the government from infringing upon your free speech. It doesn't apply to private ownership.

So many people don't understand this.  If I trash talk my boss on facebook, you bet your ass I'm getting fired.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#206 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

So many people don't understand this. If I trash talk my boss on facebook, you bet your ass I'm getting fired.

But you still have "freedom" to trash talk w/out fear of the government throwing you in jail ;) unless you made a threat of course.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#207 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

SHHHHH...don't go around now and let him know that....

I'm not the one arguing that you suck is "illegal" speech...and I believe I've said time and time again that the prudential center is a semi private building which requires patrons to comply with rules that could not be enforced in a public forum. Learn to read.
Posted Image

#208 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Chuck isn't their a charge for verbal abuse on some level if I'm correct.

#209 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:28 PM

I'm not the one arguing that you suck is "illegal" speech...and I believe I've said time and time again that the prudential center is a semi private building which requires patrons to comply with rules that could not be enforced in a public forum. Learn to read.

I'll learn to read when you go stand in 1) the nearest Macy's or Penney's or Wal-Mart etc or 2) the nearest public park telling everyone from adults to kids "you suck" to their faces then pass it off as free speech in a "normal tone and manner" as a defense. Then, afterwards, while you're holding your disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct violation and complaint(s) (possibly arrest if kids are involved) from a parent whose kid you scared sh!tless and by someone (like an old lady) who felt threatened, harassed or intimidated by your actions, then afterwards, we'll chat more. If you're that cocksure, go for it.

Edited by TheRedStorm, 11 January 2014 - 09:44 PM.

#210 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:55 PM

I'll learn to read when you go stand in 1) the nearest Macy's or Penney's or Wal-Mart etc or 2) the nearest public park telling everyone from adults to kids "you suck" to their faces then pass it off as free speech in a "normal tone and manner" as a defense. Then, afterwards, while you're holding your disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct violation and complaint(s) (possibly arrest if kids are involved) from a parent whose kid you scared sh!tless and by someone (like an old lady) who felt threatened, harassed or intimidated by your actions, then afterwards, we'll chat more. If you're that cocksure, go for it.

The fact that you equate a crowd in an arena with a person walking through Walmart says everything that needs to be said. Go Devils!
Posted Image

#211 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:58 PM

The fact that you equate a crowd in an arena with a person walking through Walmart says everything that needs to be said. Go Devils!

Nice try, come talk to me when you go ahead and do the above.

Go Devils!

Edited by TheRedStorm, 11 January 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#212 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:05 PM

I suggest everyone who uses the term "you suck" in the prudential center be issued a citation.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#213 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,520 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:58 PM

But you still have "freedom" to trash talk w/out fear of the government throwing you in jail ;) unless you made a threat of course.

Yea pretty much.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#214 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:25 PM

I suggest everyone who uses the term "you suck" in the prudential center be issued a citation.

I was thinking public hanging from the hockey guy statue in Championship Plaza

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#215 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:28 PM

I was thinking public hanging from the hockey guy statue in Championship Plaza

LMFAO!! decorations?

#216 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Wasn't Harris trying to buy Charlton? What was he going to do when a millwall fan gets stabbed at the valley

Edited by thecoffeecake, 12 January 2014 - 02:17 AM.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#217 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:14 PM

Chuck isn't their a charge for verbal abuse on some level if I'm correct.

I once read the statute  on disorderly conduct and it does say something about being intentionally offensive in there, but I imagine it's one of those things they just never changed and don't enforce, as being offensive is a pretty broad thing and could cover almost anything. In a privately owned building, worst case is probably getting thrown out. You'd have to get really nuts before the cops show up. Maybe if you scream obscenities in public at a child you could get a citation, but I imagine a 72 hour hold in the looney bin is more likely at that point.

2C:33-2 Disorderly conduct

Disorderly conduct 2C:33-2

a. Improper behavior. A person is guilty of a petty disorderly persons offense, if with purpose to cause public inconvenience, annoyance or alarm, or recklessly creating a risk thereof he

(1) Engages in fighting or threatening, or in violent or tumultuous behavior; or

(2) Creates a hazardous or physically dangerous condition by any act which serves no legitimate purpose of the actor.

b. Offensive language. A person is guilty of a petty disorderly persons offense if, in a public place, and with purpose to offend the sensibilities of a hearer or in reckless disregard of the probability of so doing, he addresses unreasonably loud and offensively coarse or abusive language, given the circumstances of the person present and the setting of the utterance, to any person present.

"Public" means affecting or likely to affect persons in a place to which the public or a substantial group has access; among the places included are highways, transport facilities, schools, prisons, apartment houses, places of business or amusement, or any neighborhood.

Not really sure you suck is abusive or offensively coarse. You could make the argument, but it's a real stretch, imo.

Edited by ATLL765, 14 January 2014 - 06:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users