I was next to the Diablos. Yes, it sucked

#62 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,338 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:09 AM

The horn guy just needs to blow the freaking horn once or twice to get the chant going.....not a million freaking times. I like a loud arena but I do not like loudness when it involves stupidity.

For example, during the PK blow it once to start the kill chant... Not every freakig time. How stupid can you be.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#63 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,317 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:18 AM

Considering Stephen Gionta played almost 17 minutes despite spending 4 in the box, I guess we can't complain much about this win. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#64 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:36 AM

This is how we need to scrounge up points

Get the first goal, pray for shutout

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#65 Bryan

Bryan

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:39 AM

By the way, to the guy who "honnnnnks!" The entire game on that vuvuzela-- you're fvcking obnoxious.

Hearing that on TV was bad enough. I couldn't imagine what it was like in person.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Posted Image of Zach Parise's McFarlane Figure!

NEW JERSEY In keeping with the fact they are the Devils, New Jersey actually went with a villain by the name of Lex Lou-Lamoriello, an evil genius who finds ways to get around the salary cap until he is stopped in his tracks by Bett-man.

#66 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,118 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:05 AM

I was next to the Diablos. Yes, it sucked

My wife walked by a few times as I was watching the game on TV, and after the third time asked "Who keeps blowing that horn?  Does he do that the whole game?  That's really annoying!"  The whole Diablo thing is kind of lame.  Some comporate interpretation of a what an "enthusiastic fan" is.  "My research shows that other fans like it when one fan blows on a vuvuzela incessantly and can't go more than a few minutes without doing it some more."  Really? 

Cory is now 17th in save% at .918, Marty is 37th at .902.  Cory is also 5th in GAA at 2.02.  Enough already Pete.  Put in the guy who gives you the best chance to win.  Clearly Marty will still start some games, and I have no problem with him getting "maybe last game ever starts" here and there (like the one in Montreal), but one guy is clearly the better puck-stopper, end of story.  Yeah, the Devils have had a hell of a time scoring for him, but that doesn't mean they ALWAYS will (though this will remain a bottom-10 offensive team, which means the Devils will be on the wrong end of some games where they only give up a goal or two).  Cory deserves the #1 job.   

Cory's record when he gives up 3 or more goals (9 games out of 20):  0-6-3 

Marty's record when he gives up 3 or more goals (13 games out of 25):  4-6-3 

I'm always happy when Marty gets a win, because I know it will be very soon that I won't get to see any more of them, but the fact is Marty is just as fortunate to have his record as much as Cory is unfortunate to have his.  Cory's teammates haven't bailed him out yet when he's dared to give up more than two goals. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 10 January 2014 - 07:24 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#67 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

We won amazing considering our weak offense, Gionta caused a 4 minute PP (should be benched a game but this won't happen because he is Pete's adopted son) and DeBoer played Gionta's line almost 17 minutes. We gave Dallas every chance to win but we had Cory in goal to make the difference.

I was nervous all game because it was too close and Gionta was playing too much.

Cory has proved again he deserves more starts but Marty keeps getting in the way.

This is not a NHL playoff team with a playoff coach.

#68 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:49 AM

"Playing them is like crawling through barbed wire fence with a wool jacket on." -Lindy Ruff on playing the New Jersey Devils

Am I missing something here? Players and coaches always seem to say things like this after they play us. I don't see much difference between our system and other teams who employ a sound defense first system. Maybe its magnified because we have horrible team speed???

Edited by oconnellrules, 10 January 2014 - 08:50 AM.

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#69 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:59 AM

We won amazing considering our weak offense, Gionta caused a 4 minute PP (should be benched a game but this won't happen because he is Pete's adopted son) and DeBoer played Gionta's line almost 17 minutes. We gave Dallas every chance to win but we had Cory in goal to make the difference.

I was nervous all game because it was too close and Gionta was playing too much.

Cory has proved again he deserves more starts but Marty keeps getting in the way.

This is not a NHL playoff team with a playoff coach.

the four minute thing is such a fluke though you can't fault him for that- it looked to me that the high stick on carter earlier was much more vicious but no blood = 2 mins. Benn has a tiny cut and is back on the ice to start the power play but it's 4 minutes.

I know we harp on poor ref judgement all the time but I think the blood = double minor thing should be change to refs discretion.

#70 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

"Playing them is like crawling through barbed wire fence with a wool jacket on." -Lindy Ruff on playing the New Jersey Devils

Am I missing something here? Players and coaches always seem to say things like this after they play us. I don't see much difference between our system and other teams who employ a sound defense first system. Maybe its magnified because we have horrible team speed???

That's really funny. I was watching the Stars broadcast and that's verbatim what the announcers said 2-3 times. I wonder if they fed him that line before he got quoted (or if there was a mix up in sourcing?)

I get a kick out of watching west cost feeds, I feel like they heard the Devils "trapped" in the mid 90's and never let it go. From about the 10 minute mark and on the announcers were constantly commenting on the number of pucks going out of play, icings, and how the Devils suffocate other teams "for the last 20 years". 

I have to say though overall it wasn't a bad feed and they were pretty complimentary to our team.

#71 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,279 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

the four minute thing is such a fluke though you can't fault him for that- it looked to me that the high stick on carter earlier was much more vicious but no blood = 2 mins. Benn has a tiny cut and is back on the ice to start the power play but it's 4 minutes.

I know we harp on poor ref judgement all the time but I think the blood = double minor thing should be change to refs discretion.

It actually is. There is no rule that drawing blood is an automatic double minor, it's just become the defacto rule.

60.3 Double-minor Penalty - When a player carries or holds any part of his stick above the shoulders of the opponent so that injury results, the Referee shall assess a double-minor penalty for all contact that causes an injury, whether accidental or careless, in the opinion of the Referee.

#72 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:17 AM

From what I saw Gionta was aggressive with his stick and gloves.

#73 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

I think we had 2 penalties in front of the net tonight. Why is it that when people rough our guys up in front of the net push them from behind knock em around its never a penalty even when the puck is no where to be found. The second we defend the crease penalties start getting called.

As for gionta, really? He BARLEY hit the guy, did he hit him, yea, but it really wasn't that bad. The guy got nicked a bit and then flopped essentially, and where he was cut im pretty sure gionta didn't hit him. He probably got cut on the ice when he purposely fell to the ground.

#74 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,363 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

You all are delusional. This was not a "good win". This was the type of game we've been getting angry about for about two months. We only scored a goal, there were boneheaded defensive lapses; Dallas' chances were few but they were super dangerous chances. We took stupid penalties again, a 4 minute one that looked like a cross-check to the face. What it did require was a superhuman effort by Schneider, and that's unacceptable. That's not how we're going to win more than 10-15 games (if we're lucky) down the rest of the stretch, something's gotta give.

This game was no different than the Philly game or the Buffalo game, or any game we've screwed Schneider (and Brodeur, at times, although way fewer) with. This win felt good, to finally be at home and see a win, but it gives me cause for concern. We won't win too many games this way. Schneider could very well end the season number one in the league in GAA and SO with us still not making the playoffs. That's the disparity we have on offense, that's how far behind they are from the level of play Schneider (and even Brodeur, let's give him credit too) have been showing.

Edited by DJ Eco, 10 January 2014 - 09:58 AM.

#75 Bartholomew Hunt

Bartholomew Hunt

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:10 AM

From what I saw Gionta was aggressive with his stick and gloves.

Yeah he crosschecked benn in the face, saying that deserved 2 and the one on carter should have been 4, when the guy was just trying to get position, is pure bias.

#76 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,665 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:14 AM

Hearing that on TV was bad enough. I couldn't imagine what it was like in person.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My seats are a section over from them. It gets pretty bad. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#77 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:24 AM

Yeah he crosschecked benn in the face, saying that deserved 2 and the one on carter should have been 4, when the guy was just trying to get position, is pure bias.

I never said the carter one should have been 4, I think they both should have been 2. Just because Benn was bleeding doesn't mean one was more vicious or intentional than the other.

And to put that penalty on gionta all I'll say is he gives up about 6 inches and 50 pounds to Benn, he shouldn't be the one who has to clear the crease. Im not sure who the defensmen on the ice were but gionta was covering for them.

#78 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,678 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

You all are delusional. This was not a "good win". This was the type of game we've been getting angry about for about two months. We only scored a goal, there were boneheaded defensive lapses; Dallas' chances were few but they were super dangerous chances. We took stupid penalties again, a 4 minute one that looked like a cross-check to the face. What it did require was a superhuman effort by Schneider, and that's unacceptable. That's not how we're going to win more than 10-15 games (if we're lucky) down the rest of the stretch, something's gotta give.

This game was no different than the Philly game or the Buffalo game, or any game we've screwed Schneider (and Brodeur, at times, although way fewer) with. This win felt good, to finally be at home and see a win, but it gives me cause for concern. We won't win too many games this way. Schneider could very well end the season number one in the league in GAA and SO with us still not making the playoffs. That's the disparity we have on offense, that's how far behind they are from the level of play Schneider (and even Brodeur, let's give him credit too) have been showing.

What?

The Devils maintained the shot advantage despite leading most of the game. Do you not remember how many insane saves Lehtonen had? Back to back 30+plus shot efforts is a step in the right direction

#79 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

It actually is. There is no rule that drawing blood is an automatic double minor, it's just become the defacto rule.

right, I've never seen a double minor for a high stick where blood wasn't drawn.

#80 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,446 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

Good win - like Mantzas said, 30 shots is good.  If the Devils had 19 shots I feel a lot differently about this game.  The fact that they couldn't score - well, whatever on that - they had plenty of good chances to do so.  They got Ryder 6 shots, and he's probably the best scorer on the team.

One thing about the Carter-Gionta-Bernier line playing so much - they can hold their own possession wise (they did tonight, and indeed Gionta has been all season), but they're just not going to score all that much.  Like I kept harping on last year, Gionta has a 7% shooting in the minor leagues.  He's at 6% now in the NHL in the regular season.  Somehow it worked out last night but please, let's see less of the Carter-Gionta-Bernier-Volchenkov-Salvador quintet.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users