#81 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

What?

The Devils maintained the shot advantage despite leading most of the game. Do you not remember how many insane saves Lehtonen had? Back to back 30+plus shot efforts is a step in the right direction

My point is that this is the same narrative from the Philly game, or the two Montreal games that one week where we lost both and probably should've gotten the 4 points (and them 0), or a million other games we've played throughout this season. Our offense can't seem to push to the next level and CONVERT, every goalie suddenly looks like early 2000s Martin Brodeur... Ray Emery, Lehtonen, Lindback, Pavelec...

When we can make it 3-0 or 4-0 in the first or second, we just simply need to start DOING IT... and we're not. My point is that I think our offense has shown for 3 months that we're not capable of "just doing it", so certain moves should have already been made a month ago, which weren't made. We've been on the wrong side of 1-0 leads for about a year now, since the lockout season started.

#82 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Good win - like Mantzas said, 30 shots is good. If the Devils had 19 shots I feel a lot differently about this game. The fact that they couldn't score - well, whatever on that - they had plenty of good chances to do so. They got Ryder 6 shots, and he's probably the best scorer on the team.

One thing about the Carter-Gionta-Bernier line playing so much - they can hold their own possession wise (they did tonight, and indeed Gionta has been all season), but they're just not going to score all that much. Like I kept harping on last year, Gionta has a 7% shooting in the minor leagues. He's at 6% now in the NHL in the regular season. Somehow it worked out last night but please, let's see less of the Carter-Gionta-Bernier-Volchenkov-Salvador quintet.

with Elias and Brunner out it might be hard to limit their minutes. the sislo- lokti-Boucher line should see more ice time I think it's going to depend on the situation- defending a lead Pete will trust the gionta line like he did last night.

#83 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:18 AM

with Elias and Brunner out it might be hard to limit their minutes. the sislo- lokti-Boucher line should see more ice time I think it's going to depend on the situation- defending a lead Pete will trust the gionta line like he did last night.

There is no way that an NHL quality lineup should be constructed such that Stephen Gionta deserves 17 minutes of ice time.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#84 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:21 AM

There is no way that an NHL quality lineup should be constructed such that Stephen Gionta deserves 17 minutes of ice time.

Sorry I should have made clear that agree, but I'm not sure what the answer is when we're down two top 9 forwards and are dressing a 7th defenseman. Should sislo or Boucher gotten the 17 minutes instead? When you're defending a lead I'd rather have the guy who clearly has the better possession numbers.

#85 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

We aren't close to it yet...but this is slowly moving towards...

http://postimg.org/image/jw1tt5xs5/

Edited by devilsrule33, 10 January 2014 - 11:30 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#86 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,343 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Sorry I should have made clear that agree, but I'm not sure what the answer is when we're down two top 9 forwards and are dressing a 7th defenseman. Should sislo or Boucher gotten the 17 minutes instead? When you're defending a lead I'd rather have the guy who clearly has the better possession numbers.

http://www.extraskat...s=485,1281,1250

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#87 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

Yikes...

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#88 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

point taken and I respect the stats and dont profess to know a lot about them, but look at the zone starts/finishes. We've already conceded the gionta line doesn't put shots in goal, so their Corsi will suffer, but they do posses the puck a lot, which is valuable protecting a lead.

#89 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,405 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

lol I didn't realize Robbie ever got THAT much icetime for an extended period, no wonder we all wanted Lemaire put out to pasture after that season.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#90 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:12 PM

hahahaha

#91 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:16 PM

lol I didn't realize Robbie ever got THAT much icetime for an extended period, no wonder we all wanted Lemaire put out to pasture after that season.

Tri pointed it out a LOT from what I recall, and with good reason.  Problem was IIRC Niedermayer got off to a pretty decent start that year.  Think he was putting up some points too.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#92 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,106 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

That would be the second year in a row the fanbase lost it on a coach. But playing Niedermayer that much was not even close to what Sutter did in 2009.

Game 7 of the Canes series. There is so much wrong with this picture.

http://postimg.org/image/crq7zaa1x/

Edited by devilsrule33, 10 January 2014 - 12:24 PM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#93 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

You all are delusional. This was not a "good win". This was the type of game we've been getting angry about for about two months. We only scored a goal, there were boneheaded defensive lapses; Dallas' chances were few but they were super dangerous chances. We took stupid penalties again, a 4 minute one that looked like a cross-check to the face. What it did require was a superhuman effort by Schneider, and that's unacceptable. That's not how we're going to win more than 10-15 games (if we're lucky) down the rest of the stretch, something's gotta give.

This game was no different than the Philly game or the Buffalo game, or any game we've screwed Schneider (and Brodeur, at times, although way fewer) with. This win felt good, to finally be at home and see a win, but it gives me cause for concern. We won't win too many games this way. Schneider could very well end the season number one in the league in GAA and SO with us still not making the playoffs. That's the disparity we have on offense, that's how far behind they are from the level of play Schneider (and even Brodeur, let's give him credit too) have been showing.

I don't think you were watching the same game as us.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#94 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:08 PM

My point is that this is the same narrative from the Philly game, or the two Montreal games that one week where we lost both and probably should've gotten the 4 points (and them 0), or a million other games we've played throughout this season. Our offense can't seem to push to the next level and CONVERT, every goalie suddenly looks like early 2000s Martin Brodeur... Ray Emery, Lehtonen, Lindback, Pavelec...

When we can make it 3-0 or 4-0 in the first or second, we just simply need to start DOING IT... and we're not. My point is that I think our offense has shown for 3 months that we're not capable of "just doing it", so certain moves should have already been made a month ago, which weren't made. We've been on the wrong side of 1-0 leads for about a year now, since the lockout season started.

But you can't look at all 1-0 games the same way.  Last night was simply because Lehtonen was great.

Edited by Mike Brown, 10 January 2014 - 01:10 PM.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#95 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Damn, that 22-8-1 record sure makes you forget about how god awful Rob Niederglider was. And 2 goals for Bergfors.. niiiice...

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#96 gsnts725

gsnts725

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

It makes sense Gio has a worse CF cause look at the disparity between him and Sislo/Bouch in Offensive Zone/Defensive Zone starts.

#97 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,628 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

Damn, that 22-8-1 record sure makes you forget about how god awful Rob Niederglider was. And 2 goals for Bergfors.. niiiice...

We started the season 30-10-1.  But everything fell off the cliff in the 2nd half.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#98 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:12 PM

I don't think you were watching the same game as us.

I understand the million and one good things we did last night (and have been doing for weeks, months now, frankly). This game is no different than at least a dozen of the 1-goal games we've lost. We've "outplayed" opponents in probably 3/4 of our losses honestly (or at least that's how I feel game after game; hey, we outplayed Chicago for most of that last game).

But at the end of 60 minutes we only score a goal, and if Schneider plays like anything short of the second coming of Christ, these are the types of games we've been losing 2-1, or in Overtime or in Shootout.

We need a 5-0 game with Schneider in net before I can feel confident we're going to make a run for a playoff; otherwise, as it stands now, I just have a feeling we have another month or two of tight 2-1/OT/Shootout-type losses, like December and November. Games like last night have turned on us dozens of times this year, I'm not satisfied with the win at all, and I hope DeBoer's saying the same thing to them in the locker room.

Edited by DJ Eco, 10 January 2014 - 01:14 PM.

#99 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,827 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

"Playing them is like crawling through barbed wire fence with a wool jacket on." -Lindy Ruff on playing the New Jersey Devils

Am I missing something here? Players and coaches always seem to say things like this after they play us. I don't see much difference between our system and other teams who employ a sound defense first system. Maybe its magnified because we have horrible team speed???

This is exactly the type of team we want to be defensively. Smothering teams and frustrating them is great, especially in a playoff series. The problem is getting the damned offense going. Hopefully Elias and Brunner can help that part to an extent.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#100 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,734 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

Niedermayer was not that bad at the beginning of that year.  But he continued to get worse - I have no idea how you can get 40% of the shots with Rolston and Clarkson on your line, but he did.  Good lord.  

Gionta's problem is no longer possession, it's that line is just not going to score anywhere close to NHL average without help from the percentages.  Bernier's about a 6% shooter the last 4 years, Gionta is 6% lifetime, Carter is around NHL average - it's going to be a low-scoring line.  It's tough to abide that when your top two lines aren't going to score like the average top two lines of an NHL team.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users