43 replies to this topic

#21 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Great now I want to go to an ECHL game they don't have a team in Trenton anymore

#22 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:28 AM

Curious move by Rafi.   He is the most underrated D man in the history of the game.   Easily the 4th best D-men ever to play in NJ.  

Had the good fortune to play with the three best defensemen of his era.   Shame that Lou never really appreciated what he brought to the team until he was gone.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#23 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:35 AM

Curious move by Rafi.   He is the most underrated D man in the history of the game.   Easily the 4th best D-men ever to play in NJ.  

Had the good fortune to play with the three best defensemen of his era.   Shame that Lou never really appreciated what he brought to the team until he was gone.

Stevens, Nieds and who is the third you have ranked above him?

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#24 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:35 AM

Rafalski was my favorite Devil for a while.  Always liked him a lot.

I do remember a lot of Devil fans complaining about him just before he left...that he shot too many pucks into opposing players' skates, that he didn't have a hard enough shot, etc. 

He was incredibly loyal throughout the Niedermayer signing process...waited patiently for that to sort itself out, then signed a two-year deal to stick around.  One can argue that Lou should've rewarded him with another deal for that loyalty alone, but in the end it probably worked out best for Rafalski, in that he got to play for a terrific Red Wings team, and he probably had more fun there than he ever did here.  I've always felt that there are a number of players who embrace what playing hockey for the Devils and Lou means, and what it entails, but I don't necessarily think it's a "fun" experience.  Not as much as some other teams, anyway.  

It's not a big deal, and I know he was probably swept up in the moment, but I'll always wish that he hadn't taken a swipe (or appeared to take one) at the Devils with the parking lot comment.  But guys sometimes blurt things out when they're feeling emotional. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#25 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

Well I think it's because he always had Niedermayer and Stevens getting most of the attention.

And after they left people killed Rafalski because he wasn't a true #1 defenseman, though that was probably true he was definitely much better than the guys masquerading as #1's the next few years for us after he left.  Even Lou underappreciated him to a degree.

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:37 AM

Stevens, Nieds and who is the third you have ranked above him?

Dano, only because his #3 is retired.   Statistically Rafi should be HOF eligible.   He was that good, but overshadowed his entire career, much like Nieds before going to ANA.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Great now I want to go to an ECHL game they don't have a team in Trenton anymore

Even if, a visit from Florida was rare. A lot of games were against Reading or Elmira

#28 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:46 PM

And after they left people killed Rafalski because he wasn't a true #1 defenseman, though that was probably true he was definitely much better than the guys masquerading as #1's the next few years for us after he left.  Even Lou underappreciated him to a degree.

I never noticed that.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#29 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 918 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:17 PM

Everblades NHL affiliates are Tampa and Carolina, so there are some connections to Rafalski, particularly Yzerman. I can see both of those teams taking a chance on Rafalski. Once he gets in game shape, playing D for a guy like that is just like riding a bike. He would be a perfect mentor for Larsson.

#30 Namelesz

Namelesz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 04:28 PM

Interesting, I should be near where his ECHL team plays in mid Feb so I might have to catch one of their games. 

I'll be sure to be the only guy in the arena with a Devils jersey on, haha!

#31 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

If Lou is around next season he will sign Rafaliski to a 5 year contract with a NMC !!!!!!!

#32 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Rafalski was my favorite Devil for a while.  Always liked him a lot.

I do remember a lot of Devil fans complaining about him just before he left...that he shot too many pucks into opposing players' skates, that he didn't have a hard enough shot, etc. 

With respect, I do remember YOU complaining about that.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,256 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:04 PM

With respect, I do remember YOU complaining about that.

His last season, I probably did...I do remember that making me insane at times.  I remember not being that upset when he left...especially for what Detroit signed him for. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#34 Martyisth3b3st

Martyisth3b3st

Darth Brodeur

• Contributor
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 07:42 PM

I might have to go check him out for a game!!!

2008, 2010, 2011 Pat Burns winner for 'Most emotional poster'
2011 UDX Signature award winner

Posted Image

#35 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

His last season, I probably did...I do remember that making me insane at times.  I remember not being that upset when he left...especially for what Detroit signed him for. 

Hey, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't have given him that Red Wings contract. Not a chance.

#36 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:17 PM

Can anybody remember if Lou made an offer to him?

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#37 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:39 PM

Can anybody remember if Lou made an offer to him?

If I remember correctly, we were rumored to have offered him in the mid-4's.  

#38 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:46 PM

If I remember correctly, we were rumored to have offered him in the mid-4's.  

I was under the assumption that Detroit's offer blew our offer out of the water.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#39 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:17 PM

I was under the assumption that Detroit's offer blew our offer out of the water.

Huh? It did. They gave him 6 million per and 5 years.

#40 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:20 AM

Devils fans respect Rafalski very much.  He left for Detroit and I don't know of any Devils fan angry at him like we were when Parise left.

Rafalski left to play for the team he rooted for and loved above all else when he was a kid. Parise left to play for a team that didn't even exist when he was a kid.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users