43 replies to this topic

#41 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,547 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 01:40 AM

Rafalski left to play for the team he rooted for and loved above all else when he was a kid. Parise left to play for a team that didn't even exist when he was a kid.

They both went back to their home towns.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#42 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,193 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:48 AM

Hey, don't get me wrong - I wouldn't have given him that Red Wings contract. Not a chance.

Except it wouldn't have required the Red Wing contract to retain him...we made a perfunctory who cares offer and that was it, I think even a small raise from his current contract that was well short of what he got in Detroit would have been enough to keep him before FA.  As it was, he STILL might have come back in the end if Detroit didn't lose Mathieu Schnieder on the first day of FA and then throw a ton of money at Raf as a replacement.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 11 January 2014 - 09:51 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#43 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,667 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Before reading the article I never realized how religious he is. Was he that way when he was playing for us?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#44 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

Except it wouldn't have required the Red Wing contract to retain him...we made a perfunctory who cares offer and that was it, I think even a small raise from his current contract that was well short of what he got in Detroit would have been enough to keep him before FA.  As it was, he STILL might have come back in the end if Detroit didn't lose Mathieu Schnieder on the first day of FA and then throw a ton of money at Raf as a replacement.

I completely agree. While it's hard to know what actually happened behind the scenes, Rafalski certainly was looking to stay in NJ and most likely would have taken a discount.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users