116 replies to this topic

#1 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,004 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:10 PM

Beginning of the second period of the broadcast tonight against the Panthers, Chico had just mentioned something along the lines of "all signs point to Marty returning next year - Marty would like to too"

Now, Chico can appear to be doofy at times and might just be talking out of his behind, but he does have access to the players and would be able to get a good idea of vibes coming from the teams and players.

That said, yikes. I don't know how much more of seeing Marty play as a shell of himself. 

#2 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,337 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Beginning of the second period of the broadcast tonight against the Panthers, Chico had just mentioned something along the lines of "all signs point to Marty returning next year - Marty would like to too"

Now, Chico can appear to be doofy at times and might just be talking out of his behind, but he does have access to the players and would be able to get a good idea of vibes coming from the teams and players.

That said, yikes. I don't know how much more of seeing Marty play as a shell of himself. 

If that is the case then I wish him well in signing a 1-year 2 million deal with Montreal (or wherever not in NJ).

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#3 CarterforPresident

CarterforPresident

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

If its as back up only. Then it's fine. But can't be starting.

#4 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,748 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:48 PM

Eh I don't take what Chico says too seriously. How many times a game does he claim he and player X were just talking earlier that day about something that happens in a game?

Like "oh henrique was just telling me today that sometimes the puck bounces weird" or something.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#5 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:43 PM

Eh I don't take what Chico says too seriously. How many times a game does he claim he and player X were just talking earlier that day about something that happens in a game?

Like "oh henrique was just telling me today that sometimes the puck bounces weird" or something.

I don't think he is making it up.

Chico loves the sport and is a fan; and has unparalleled access to the players.   I imagine he is chatting with them all of the time.

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#6 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

If I had to put money on it I would bet Marty comes back, the hope at that point can only be that Lou makes it clear he will be the backup and get about 30 starts max.

As much as I respect all he has done Marty doesn't seem like the type of guy who will walk away from the sport easily.

#7 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:53 PM

700 wins.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#8 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

If that is the case then I wish him well in signing a 1-year 2 million deal with Montreal (or wherever not in NJ).

Yep. Marty just needs to retire. Its over after this year. I really don't want him to be the last one to know.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#9 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Who's ready for another goalie controversy next year?!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#10 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,275 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:01 PM

Except that Chico did pretty much call Parise leaving before anyone else thought he would.  Mostly because of his friendship with JP imo.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#11 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

If I had to put money on it I would bet Marty comes back, the hope at that point can only be that Lou makes it clear he will be the backup and get about 30 starts max.

As much as I respect all he has done Marty doesn't seem like the type of guy who will walk away from the sport easily.

I want Marty back for 1 more as a backup

Hopefully it can happen and Lou/the coach states right away he will play 25-30 games max

Time will tell.

700 and another playoff run would be sweet

700 wins.

Yup.  So close.

Yep. Marty just needs to retire. Its over after this year. I really don't want him to be the last one to know.

He is going for 700

Hopefully he can accept a backup role and get it in a Devils sweater

Seeing him wear another jersey would break my heart

Who's ready for another goalie controversy next year?!

IF Marty comes back, I think it will be clear that Cory will be the starter

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#12 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

IF Marty comes back, I think it will be clear that Cory will be the starter

I'm not as convinced.  lol

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#13 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Except that Chico did pretty much call Parise leaving before anyone else thought he would.  Mostly because of his friendship with JP imo.

He knew Zach was going "home" to play with his butt buddy Suter

Oh yea, and $98M doesn't hurt either

That's $98,000,000.00

Ninety Eight Million Dollars

I'm not as convinced.  lol

Hopefully Cory can put a string together here and really cement his role as the starter going forward

Marty sorta accepted it earlier this year, but then Schneids got hurt and Marty caught fire

#14 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,908 posts

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

He mentioned it while talking about Marty giving an interview to a radio station in Montreal, so I have to assume it wasn't Chico pulling things out of thin air or making his own assumptions. I'll try to watch the replay tonight and get the exact story.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#15 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:04 AM

I caught the radio broadcast and Matt and Sherry said the same thing. Apparently Broduer told a french paper/magazine something along the lines of  "right now the mind wants too, we'll see if the body is capable".

#16 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:14 AM

I really hope this is Marty's final year.  If it's not his final year in the NHL, then it needs to be his final year as a Devil.  As long as Marty's a Devil, he'll never truly think of himself as a backup.  As long as DeBoer and Lou are around, they'll continue to treat him too closely to the Marty of old...too much so for comfort.   

Marty ranked 38th in save% last season, and ranks 36th in save% this season.  Yes, he has had some occasional terrific games, even a couple of 4 and 5 game good stretches, but I maintain that the 50-game stretch to close out 2012 was the best of what Marty had left.  I also think he had his time here...an incredible, sensational, wonderful time here, but the guy is going to be 42 friggin' years old to start next season.  If Marty still mistakenly believes that he has anything left next season (maybe he can continue to be the inconsistent shell of himself he's been this season and last, but I don't need to see that version of Marty again for a third straight year), then Lou needs to move on. 

I don't think the Lou or the organization should be seen as cold, disrespectful, or unappreciative if they tell Marty no to 2014-15.  Former greats can't always go out on THEIR terms.     

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#17 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:16 AM

I caught the radio broadcast and Matt and Sherry said the same thing. Apparently Broduer told a french paper/magazine something along the lines of "right now the mind wants too, we'll see if the body is capable".

Body, I hope you say NO. We do not need another goalie issue next season it is time to move forward.

Edited by LucifersDog, 12 January 2014 - 09:16 AM.

#18 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,339 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

Does everyone think there is NO CHANCE he comes back in a backup role?

#19 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:31 AM

Does everyone think there is NO CHANCE he comes back in a backup role?

Even if he was 100% on board with that (and I don't think he ever will be...that's not a knock on him, I just don't think he's wired to think of himself as anything less than a #1), there's no reason to think he'll be particularly good at it, or any better at stopping pucks than he is right now (which, as we know, is not very good).   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#20 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,131 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:32 AM

I'm not as convinced. lol

Yeah neither am I. It would break my heart to see Marty wear another sweater too, but I don't want him coming back next year if he has any notion whatsoever that he's 'competing' for a starting role with Schneider. Its backup or nothing. And I don't think Marty will accept that.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users