116 replies to this topic

#21 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:34 AM

Yeah neither am I. It would break my heart to see Marty wear another sweater too, but I don't want him coming back next year if he has any notion whatsoever that he's 'competing' for a starting role with Schneider. Its backup or nothing. And I don't think Marty will accept that.

So one on board for a known backup role...

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#22 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

Yeah neither am I. It would break my heart to see Marty wear another sweater too, but I don't want him coming back next year if he has any notion whatsoever that he's 'competing' for a starting role with Schneider. Its backup or nothing. And I don't think Marty will accept that.

Joe Montana played for the Chiefs.

Michael Jordan played for the Wizards.

Tom Glavine didn't spend his whole career with the Braves.

Not like it's unheard of for all-time greats to finish up their careers with another team.

Would I love to see Marty play for another team?  Not really.  But he's already won FAR more games with one team than anyone else ever to play in the NHL.  At least we didn't have to see him demand to be dealt and then see him succeed with another franchise (like Canadiens fans had to endure when Patrick Roy was traded)...geez, even Wayne Gretzky played for four NHL teams.  We got ALL of Marty's very best...every last bit of it.  I'm not going to be heartbroken if Marty insists on playing one more year as a lesser version of himself for someone else, to the tune of yet another "meh" decline year (and there's no reason to think he would turn in anything more than that).    

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#23 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,110 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:25 AM

I'd be absolutely against Brodeur coming back based on the first 40 or so games. But if Schneider takes the ball and plays 26 of the last 35 games or so, and Brodeur wants to come back next year knowing exactly what his role is, I wouldn't be totally against it. But again, that is only if Cory proves to the entire organization that he is by far the better goalie...leaving no doubt to everyone  what his and Brodeur's role is.

I doubt Brodeur would want to go anywhere else to be a backup. If he wants to go the Ed Belfour root and find some sh!tty team in your last year where you can play 50+ games, go for it. I wouldn't be remotely upset. Only sad, if he is just awful. I think he would get completely exposed on a team that plays pretty loosy goosy and up and down the ice a lot.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#24 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

I don't think that Marty returning as the clear, agreed upon "backup" is completely out of the question. I wouldn't mind it in those specific terms.

BTW, didn't I hear chico say one time this year, "that it was sometimes better to watch hockey from home" LOL!!!

#25 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

i had this argument with other fans... iam pretty certain that he is going to want to play more after this season.. you can tell that he is not ready for retirement ... i mean he hasnt even accepted the fact that hes not a starter any more
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#26 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,103 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:13 PM

Melanie is getting $500,000+ every year until 2020 from Martin. Honestly I think that's the only reason he'll try to play in the NHL next year. An extra year would soften this blow a bit. I also wouldn't put it passed him to go play in Russia in 15-16 since some billionaire would pony up to get a huge NHL legend on their team.

What NHL team in its right mind would want Brodeur for anything more than 15 backup starts a year? If he comes back to NJ to play 15-18 games then you know it's about the money

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#27 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:25 PM

i think he wants another cup...
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#28 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,880 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:26 PM

If we resign cory next summer... Marty can resign for 4 years and i couldnt care less. Juat dont want it to push cory away

www.SterioDesign.com

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,501 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

If we resign cory next summer... Marty can resign for 4 years and i couldnt care less. Juat dont want it to push cory away

that is the only thing iam concerned about to be honest.. he has voiced that at this point in his career he wants to be a number one.. if nj isnt giving him that we all know that he isnt sticking around
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#30 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:45 PM

i personally think brodeur will stay for 1 more year.  Im sure hes trying to reach 700, and maybe another playoff run. 

I think the only way he calls it quits after this season is if one of two things happens.  1. he gets severely injured and cant recover properly or 2. by some miracle (we all know this wont happen) they win the cup, and he wants to go out as a true champ.

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:02 PM

Good news is Brodeur is already talking with TG about leaving.  It's sad that it comes to this but you don't get a lifetime pass to play somewhere.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Schneider whined when he didn't play too, but anyway

#33 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:09 PM

Good news is Brodeur is already talking with TG about leaving.  It's sad that it comes to this but you don't get a lifetime pass to play somewhere.

It really is, he's a legend here and will forever be one, but it's clearly time for us to move on and let Cory take the reigns.  There'd be no shame in him retiring at the end of this year but he's a competitive guy and still wants to play so I understand it from that perspective.  It'll be really odd if he ends up in another jersey though.

#34 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:14 PM

I don't know if it'd be as volatile next year, the way our schedule was chalked up this year, was basically the worst way it could have been to suit a team that was going to be splitting goalie starts. Perhaps next year without the issue of the schedule, and PDB having a year to understand how to handle the situation, it won't be as bad.

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#35 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:19 PM

It really is, he's a legend here and will forever be one, but it's clearly time for us to move on and let Cory take the reigns.  There'd be no shame in him retiring at the end of this year but he's a competitive guy and still wants to play so I understand it from that perspective.  It'll be really odd if he ends up in another jersey though.

It would be a perfect world if Brodeur passed the crease to CS and retired gracefully without drawing undue attention to himself. If he truly cares about the organization, he'll understand it's time. Personally, he could just say "don't talk to me about next year as we're trying to make the playoffs", but he's not going to do that. People call Brodeur a lot of positive things as a person, but he's going to have a difficult time letting go of this without the passive aggressive comment or attention grab here or there . As all great athletes, he has an ego and sometimes that ego doesn't let itself go quite easily. I never believed this would end in a torch passing kind of way and i still don't believe it will.

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#36 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,735 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:23 PM

Schneider whined when he didn't play too, but anyway

Because he's better.  He's at least an average NHL starter and is quite possibly elite.  He should be complaining.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#37 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 447 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:26 PM

I'll take the opposite position.

GAA under 2.40
Save percentage over 90%
12-9 record, how many of those losses were due to our inability to score?

Those are decent numbers playing for a team that May or may not make the playoffs. Is he what he used to be? No . Worth keeping? I think so.

Is Cory better? Probably. But it's not the end of the world to have Marty around like some people are insinuating.

#38 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Safe to say Schneider was unhappy with himself and his own play as well. He had the opportunity.

GAA under 2.40
Save percentage over 90%

This isn't the 80s.

Edited by Marshall, 12 January 2014 - 01:28 PM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#39 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

Because he's better.  He's at least an average NHL starter and is quite possibly elite.  He should be complaining.

When he got benched he wasn't playing well and the team was playing poorly in his starts.   Alot of this is on the staff.   They need to lay it out there.   But you know that it's going to swing back the other way again.   Alot of it has to do with the stupid draft pick too.  It complicates everything.   Marty can say what he wants about leaving, but he's not getting a gig and money at the same time.   He may find somewhere he can play 40+ times, but it's not going to be on a team worth playing for.   If he goes behind Price, he's playing 20 times.   

#40 AEWHistory

AEWHistory

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

He knew Zach was going "home" to play with his butt buddy Suter

Oh yea, and $98M doesn't hurt either

That's $98,000,000.00

Ninety Eight Million Dollars

Hopefully Cory can put a string together here and really cement his role as the starter going forward

Marty sorta accepted it earlier this year, but then Schneids got hurt and Marty caught fire

Yea, but how many pesos is that? Huh? Or Lira? I bet I could get WAY more yen!
Aaron / AEWHistory --- Rockies/Devils fan since 1981!

Trenton Makes and the World Takes..... Or.... Trenton Uses What the World Refuses

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users