116 replies to this topic

#41 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

When he got benched he wasn't playing well and the team was playing poorly in his starts.   Alot of this is on the staff.   They need to lay it out there.   But you know that it's going to swing back the other way again.   Alot of it has to do with the stupid draft pick too.  It complicates everything.   Marty can say what he wants about leaving, but he's not getting a gig and money at the same time.   He may find somewhere he can play 40+ times, but it's not going to be on a team worth playing for.   If he goes behind Price, he's playing 20 times.   

You're wrong.  When Schneider complained, it was after Brodeur got the Carolina start the day before Thanksgiving.  Cory was coming off a phenomenal start against the Kings, and was then sat for 4 straight games.  Utter insanity, especially since Brodeur lost 2 of those starts.

It might not swing back the other way again because Brodeur isn't good and if the team doesn't give him some goals he's not going to look like Schneider has the last two games.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#42 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:48 PM

You're wrong.  When Schneider complained, it was after Brodeur got the Carolina start the day before Thanksgiving.  Cory was coming off a phenomenal start against the Kings, and was then sat for 4 straight games.  Utter insanity, especially since Brodeur lost 2 of those starts.

It might not swing back the other way again because Brodeur isn't good and if the team doesn't give him some goals he's not going to look like Schneider has the last two games.

It's going to swing back the other way again and that wasn't the only time Schneider complained.   That's what happens when you have two starting goalies (even if one is in name only, he's been a starting goalie since 1995) and you don't lay it out on the line.    Hell, you don't even tell him about the trade when that's the perfect opportunity to lay it out there... lol

I don't know where the Lou that put Shanny down went.   And honestly that wasn't even that important, they could have rolled with him.

#43 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:50 PM

BTW, the whole quote is out there now and it was one hell of a clip job

#44 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:56 PM

It's going to swing back the other way again and that wasn't the only time Schneider complained.   That's what happens when you have two starting goalies (even if one is in name only, he's been a starting goalie since 1995) and you don't lay it out on the line.    Hell, you don't even tell him about the trade when that's the perfect opportunity to lay it out there... lol

I don't know where the Lou that put Shanny down went.   And honestly that wasn't even that important, they could have rolled with him.

Shanahan was abysmal.  And that was a lot different.

It very well might not swing back the other way because, again, Brodeur is awful.  Brodeur has two starts - Montreal and the outdoor game.  He'll get back to backs.  Any other starts, he has to earn.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#45 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

I'll take the opposite position.

GAA under 2.40
Save percentage over 90%
12-9 record, how many of those losses were due to our inability to score?

Those are decent numbers playing for a team that May or may not make the playoffs. Is he what he used to be? No . Worth keeping? I think so.

Is Cory better? Probably. But it's not the end of the world to have Marty around like some people are insinuating.

Oh please.

The GAA isn't too bad because the Devils keep the amount of shots their goalies face per game down.  At any rate, Marty's GAA 16th in the NHL.  It's OK.

A save% of .900 is nothing special in today's NHL...using that number as some sort of positive benchmark is absurd.  Like I posted previously, Marty's .901 last season ranked him 38th, and his .902 this season ranks him 36th. 

He's 12-9-4 due to very good fortune more than anything else.  He's given up 3 or more goals in 13 out of 25 starts.  The Devils have gone 4-6-3 in those games.  By contrast, the Devils have gone 0-6-3 in the 9 starts that Cory has given up 3 or more.  This team has bailed out Marty a lot.   

Cory is playing behind the same team, yet has a .921 save% and 1.97 GAA...which makes Marty's numbers pretty bad.  There's just no other way to put it.  He had that 5-game burst of .960ish play that made him PDB's go-to guy for a while, but I think PDB is finally seeing the light (for now). 

Dating back to last season, Marty has mostly been a well-below NHL puck-stopper, for a total of 54 games.  It's fine if you still like him as a Devil...even though some fans have turned on him, I think most still appreciate what he's meant to the franchise, and all that he has done...but it's impossible to find ways to polish up last season and this season.  2010-11 and 2011-12, sure, but not 2013 and not this year. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 12 January 2014 - 01:58 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#46 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:38 PM

I didn't say he is the best in the league, but I'd rather be running a Brodeur-Schneider tandem than having Schneider as number one and an AHL goalie backing him up.

13 of 25 giving up 3 or more, they only won 3. Schneider has won zero in that situation. That's more a demonstration of the Devils scoring woes. If a team scores 3, it's almost a certain loss.

#47 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Good news is Brodeur is already talking with TG about leaving.  It's sad that it comes to this but you don't get a lifetime pass to play somewhere.

do you have anything that supports this?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#48 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I don't know if it'd be as volatile next year, the way our schedule was chalked up this year, was basically the worst way it could have been to suit a team that was going to be splitting goalie starts. Perhaps next year without the issue of the schedule, and PDB having a year to understand how to handle the situation, it won't be as bad.

Lets hope next season PDB isn't with the Devils

#49 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Marty not happy playing backup tonight article at nhl.com

#50 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,388 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:17 PM

700 wins.

Nail on head. Marty ain't leaving till he gets his 700th

I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#51 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:23 PM

I didn't say he is the best in the league, but I'd rather be running a Brodeur-Schneider tandem than having Schneider as number one and an AHL goalie backing him up.

13 of 25 giving up 3 or more, they only won 3. Schneider has won zero in that situation. That's more a demonstration of the Devils scoring woes. If a team scores 3, it's almost a certain loss.

The Devils have won FOUR of those 13 Brodeur 3+ starts.  Yes, everyone knows the Devils have trouble scoring...so why would you want a goalie playing who gives up 3+ in half of his starts?

I don't think you realize how bad .901 and .902 save%s are these days.  There's a reason they rank in the bottom quarter of the league.   It's really not that hard for the Devils to improve on that, and there's also no guarantee that Marty can even maintain where he is right now...not at his age, and not with the amount of games he's played.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#52 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:29 PM

Damn right he isn't - his SV% is good for 56th in the league and that's with the PK bumping it up. Even strength, he is 65th out of 79. If that isn't horrible to you then I don't know what. Kinkaid would do a better job.

Edited by Marshall, 12 January 2014 - 03:30 PM.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#53 mfitz804

mfitz804

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:38 PM

Double checked the stats, you guys are right. Take him out back and shoot him.

#54 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:52 PM

Marty not happy playing backup tonight article at nhl.com

He has to understand that Schneider is on fire right now.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#55 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:03 PM

Double checked the stats, you guys are right. Take him out back and shoot him.

No one is saying that, but you can only ignore this stuff for so long.  Here is the breakdown (goals allowed) in his last 11 games:

5 goals:  twice

4 goals:  twice

3 goals:  three times

2 goals:  once

1 goal:  twice

0 goals:  once

He has a save% less than .880 as well, to go with that.

It was one thing when Option #2 was a struggling Hedberg.  Option #2 is a hell of a lot more appealing this season. 

#30 FOREVER!

#56 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 04:10 PM

Personally I think Marty will be willing to come back as a backup. There are very few if any playoff caliber teams that will be willing to give him a starting role next year. I don't think he'd be willing to go to the panthers, and if he gets the same money for a backup role from a Chicago or Detroit I think he would just as rather lock his legacy up and finish here.

I sort of hope he does come back because i think it pushes Cory in a way. If Kincaid is the backup next year Cory is guaranteed 65 starts no questions asked. If Marty comes back it might keep Cory looking over his shoulder a bit.

Of course the qualifier for this is that the coach gives Cory the games he earns (which hasn't happened so far but looks like it is now).

#57 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Marty understands only one thing he feels he is the best, it's his ego always has been.

#58 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 05:35 PM

No one is saying that, but you can only ignore this stuff for so long.  Here is the breakdown (goals allowed) in his last 11 games:

5 goals:  twice
4 goals:  twice
3 goals:  three times
2 goals:  once
1 goal:  twice
0 goals:  once

He has a save% less than .880 as well, to go with that.

It was one thing when Option #2 was a struggling Hedberg.  Option #2 is a hell of a lot more appealing this season.

Can I please pull the trigger?? Please

#59 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:11 PM

Marty understands only one thing he feels he is the best, it's his ego always has been.

To be as successful as Marty has been, you have to believe you are the best. Any athlete who is or was at the top of his position in any sport does. It's those same qualities that get a player to the top level that make it hard for them to give up their spot. Guys like Jordan and Favre had the same issue.

When you've been one of the best at something nearly your entire life, it's not just flipping a switch to "ok I'm done now".
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#60 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 06:44 PM

BTW, I didn't see anything on NHL.com about him being unhappy.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users