76 replies to this topic

#21 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,085 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:45 PM

How about the Rangers and their "layered defense" of the Torts era? That's the stuff that gets me mad, as devils102 said. No one else gets called out for it, because nobody has done it as well.

#22 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:46 PM

it bothered me more that an owner made the comments. 

#23 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:47 PM

This year's team allows the fewest shots on goal, and also takes the fewest shots on goal.  So in a sense, you can argue this year's team is "boring" if you want.  Regardless, Melnyk is a hack.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#24 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:54 PM

a few good comments on the article from readers

one of the comments from the artice is from a "devils fan"

jimhockey - He’s absolutely right. As a Devils fan for more years than I want to admit, I’ve had the dubious privelege of not only watching my team generate less offense than any team in the league over the last decade, but also ALLOWING the least offense by visiting teams. Boring isn’t a strong enough word. Long ago, Lou Lamariello decided you could be competitive in every game if you played 59 1/2 minutes of defense and dragged visiting teams down to your level, which is the main reason the league implemented so many of their recent changes.

I go to games – or watch games – to see world-class skill – not an unending stream of journeymen grinders who we’ve never heard of until the Devils trade for them.

some think we still play the trap

penguins87and71 -The Devils system is boring. I can’t even watch the Devils play when they play the Penguins let alone when they don’t play my favorite team. This is why I didn’t watch the Stanley Cup Final a few years ago and this is why I won’t watch the outdoor game they play VS the Rangers. I don’t know but I just can’t watch 1-0 and 2-1 hockey games especially when the trap is involved.

I guess that Pittsburgh fan forgot all those years the Penguins played the left wing lock, which was essentially a version of the trap. Oh wait, that was before Crosby, so that fan didn't even know the team existed before 2005 when they were lucky to get 10,000 people in the seats and almost moved every year. 

People can kick the Devils all they want, but most of them would trade their team's last 20 years with ours in a heartbeat. The Devils will always be known as a boring trap team, no matter how they play, and "NBC teams" that play the trap will always be described as playing "good defensive hockey". Sure, they haven't had a whole lot of success recently, but I'd still say the Devils will be a contender again before Ottawa is. 

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#25 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,177 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

I guess that Pittsburgh fan forgot all those years the Penguins played the left wing lock, which was essentially a version of the trap. Oh wait, that was before Crosby, so that fan didn't even know the team existed before 2005 when they were lucky to get 10,000 people in the seats and almost moved every year. 

People can kick the Devils all they want, but most of them would trade their team's last 20 years with ours in a heartbeat. The Devils will always be known as a boring trap team, no matter how they play, and "NBC teams" that play the trap will always be described as playing "good defensive hockey". Sure, they haven't had a whole lot of success recently, but I'd still say the Devils will be a contender again before Ottawa is. 

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a 6 page thread. Melnyk is a tool. All Sens fans can't stand him. He loves to talk and say outlandish things. Remember his own CSI investigation for the Matt Cooke hit?

No need for anyone to count rings against Ottawa because of a dumb comment. And, I'll disagree with you about the Sens. They have a top of the line staff that has completely rebuilt the farm system after the mess Muckler left them. They draft and develop a ton of talent.

Edited by devilsrule33, 14 January 2014 - 12:13 AM.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#26 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,920 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into a 6 page thread. Melnyk is a tool. All Sens fans can't stand him. He loves to talk and say outlandish things. Remember his own CSI investigation for the Matt Cooke hit?

No need for anyone to count rings against Ottawa because of a dumb comment. And, I'll disagree with you about the Sens. They have a top of the line staff that has completely rebuild the farm system after the mess Muckler left them. They draft and develop a ton of talent.

Yeah Bryan Murray has done a great job there and I was a huge skeptic of his.  Really shrewd moves in general - Clarke MacArthur is a guy I'd much rather have than Ryane Clowe.

Everyone:  Melnyk didn't mention the trap.   He just called NJ boring.  Which in their worst 10 games this year, they have been for anyone who isn't a Devils fan.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#27 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:09 AM

They've been playing garbage hockey over a full season's worth of hockey now.   It's not inaccurate.

It's also not inaccurate that Melynk is the Canadian Jeff Vanderbeek, with more unwanted incursions into the lockeroom to yell at people

#28 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

Trap? Without the redline and and clutch and grabbing, there is nothing even remotely close to a lock or a trap. However, the Devils do play a punishing almost demoralizing brand of hockey all of which is played on the wall. If the team can increase it's finishing ability and slightly increasing the PP production, this team could be dangerous. Just finished watching LA and Van and they both played a "Devils" type game. No room at all.

Edited by hystyk28, 14 January 2014 - 01:32 AM.

#29 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:53 AM

Trap? Without the redline and and clutch and grabbing, there is nothing even remotely close to a lock or a trap. However, the Devils do play a punishing almost demoralizing brand of hockey all of which is played on the wall. If the team can increase it's finishing ability and slightly increasing the PP production, this team could be dangerous. Just finished watching LA and Van and they both played a "Devils" type game. No room at all.

The Devils snuff themselves as well.    If you like crisp hockey, they're a mess.   Is it possible Eugene is using the old stereotype like an idiot, but they are really a mess to watch.   They work hard, they can control games, but by god they're a mess.

#30 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:48 AM

Well he's right. We're not talking about the last 20 years; we're talking about the present. And in the present, they are boring to watch. End of. They are also one of the worst in the league in their overall game despite what stats say.

#31 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:04 AM

If your own team isn't better, if you haven't won more in the history of your franchise...then you go after the style. Classless move by a classless guy who is sour that he's going 'broke' and his team has yet to win ANYTHING.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#32 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 07:53 AM

Does anyone have the exact question that led him to say this? I'm trying to figure out his logic here- he starts off by saying he wants long term stability in the front office and then goes on to talk about New Jersey, who has the most stability in the league in that respect.

#33 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,746 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:10 AM

No need for anyone to count rings against Ottawa because of a dumb comment. And, I'll disagree with you about the Sens. They have a top of the line staff that has completely rebuilt the farm system after the mess Muckler left them. They draft and develop a ton of talent.

Well, the Senators think they've won eleven Stanley Cups.  By virtue of reviving the Senators nickname and being located in Ottawa, they decided to take the original Senators' Stanley Cup wins and history (they were a team from 1883-1934, and were in the NHL from 1917-34).  They have banners for not only the NHL Cup wins (four), but the pre-NHL Cup wins as well (seven).  Nothing in common with that franchise at all, save for location and team name. 

I know that the Cleveland Browns kind of did the same thing (the previous Browns had to leave their history behind when they moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens), but hanging 11 banners up that have no real ties to YOUR franchise is pretty weak.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 14 January 2014 - 08:10 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#34 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 08:16 AM

" I don’t know but I just can’t watch 1-0 and 2-1 hockey games..."

Such an ignorant stmt...  There have been tons of great exciting hockey games that ended in 1-0 & 2-1 scores, and who wants to see a 5-3 of 6-3 game that is just sloppy as hell???

its like watching a slam dunk fest in basket ball

Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#35 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 09:57 AM

Such an ignorant stmt...  There have been tons of great exciting hockey games that ended in 1-0 & 2-1 scores, and who wants to see a 5-3 of 6-3 game that is just sloppy as hell???

This. I'm not saying these Devils are great, or fun to watch, but I hate the misconception that low scoring is boring. I've seen some great, competitive hockey games in which the defense and goaltending dominated. I've been excited by pitcher's duels in baseball, slugfests in football, and soccer games, which are low scoring in general. I've also been bored by high scoring games in every sport. Low scoring is not necessarily low quality. It takes some brains to appreciate defense, so clearly Melnyk is an idiot.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#36 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:09 AM

I guess Melnyk needs (successful) firewagon hockey to put butts in the seats.  

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#37 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:08 AM

I don't take offense to his comment at all. Devils have had a lot of snoozefest games this year. I appreciate good defensive hockey but their have been some games were the Devils are downright anemic in attack. But hey, sometimes you gotta win ugly.

I wouldn't have a problem with his comments if they related to this season. BUT, you just know he wasn't think of the 2013-2014 Devils, but is instead thinking that we still trap and that it's 1996.

#38 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:48 AM

I enjoy watching teams try and break out against the devils, it separates the men from the boys.

#39 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 11:57 AM

I also want to add that while we have had our share of boring games, we get alot of offensive zone time. We are last in shots per game because we pass up lots of opportunities. I wouldn't call that a boring style though. People don't call out the Kings or Blues because try finish their chances.

#40 njdevilz4

njdevilz4

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:37 PM

Plain and simple, offense wins games and defense wins championships.  If anyone watches the English Premier League, Arsenal plays attractive and beautiful football, yeah and they also haven't won a trophy in 8 years.  I'll take 3 Cups since '95 and this "boring" hockey anyday. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users