#41 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 01:57 PM

Oh Jesus. Not this trap nonsense again.

Do we have to score 10 goals a game for people to finally get it through their heads we don't trap anymore.

n2eg.jpg

#42 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

as long as we win, i can care less if its boring or exciting

#43 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

We are pretty boring... My girlfriend fell asleep during the Devils-Flyers game we lost 1-0 earlier in the season, and I almost nodded off when we played Detroit..

I don't think Melnyk, or anyone outside of this thread, mentioned the trap.

Regardless, Melnyk's a tool. He's as much of a tool, if not more than Dolan.

Edited by DJ Eco, 14 January 2014 - 02:23 PM.

#44 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,720 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:03 PM

Now that I think about it, it's not what he said that bothers me as much as the fact that it's somehow totally acceptable for anyone, including an owner, to kick the Devils. If an owner or top personality came out and ripped the Rangers, Penguins, Kings, any of the NBC Teams, there would be a huge backlash including a segment on NBC Game of the Week denouncing it.

It seems that when it comes to the Devils, Isles, Phoenix, and maybe a couple of other teams, snarky backhanded comments from commentators are the norm. I remember Nashville was treated this way as well for a while, until they got the Smashville monicker. And of course I understand this is part of being a Devils fan. It just seems so unnecessary at times.

The current team is clearly boring many nights. There's no denying that. But the Devils have worn that label since 1995, even when leading the league in scoring with some top offensive lines and players, and having several HOF players on the team. I don't understand why a league that is trying to grow a product doesn't discourage that kind of labeling. Eh, it is what it is I guess.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#45 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:40 PM

Funny this is right now some Ranger fan is probably reading this thread, posting links of it on some Rangers board, and saying "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, see, da Debbies really are bawring, even dere own fans finally admit it!"

And yeah, the Devils are not an easy watch a lot of nights.  It seems like scoring a goal for them is SO hard.  Can't imagine what it's like to watch the Sabres most nights. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#46 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:13 PM

Bd9sBB0CQAAFArv.jpg

From HFBoards GDT hahahaha...

Edited by DJ Eco, 14 January 2014 - 04:19 PM.

#47 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:15 PM

I have never been bored watching a devils game. I can see if I was another fan I might be bored watching my team play them because they dominate possession so much.

I do get bored watching pretty much every other team in the league, simply because I'm not a fan of the team (unless the result of the game directly affects the devils)

#48 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,380 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:18 PM

Damned DJ, that's pretty damned funny.  Did you do that, or find it somewhere? 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#49 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,395 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

Damned DJ, that's pretty damned funny.  Did you do that, or find it somewhere? 

Whoops I can't take credit for it. It's from the HFBoards GDT poster; not sure if he got it anywhere... Friggin' hysterical though haha...

#50 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

I have never been bored watching a devils game. I can see if I was another fan I might be bored watching my team play them because they dominate possession so much.

I do get bored watching pretty much every other team in the league, simply because I'm not a fan of the team (unless the result of the game directly affects the devils)

+ 1. Didn't think to mention this, but imo most real fans are excited by their team, no matter what type of game they play. If Sens fans only want to watch scoring, they're not real fans. If the Sens are winning, the fans should be happy, and butts should be in seats. They're not, so Melnyk feels the need to bash someone else.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#51 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,408 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:21 PM

Who's on the bike in the top right? I can't make it out in my phone...

#52 montec24

montec24

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

Funny this is right now some Ranger fan is probably reading this thread, posting links of it on some Rangers board, and saying "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh, see, da Debbies really are bawring, even dere own fans finally admit it!"

And yeah, the Devils are not an easy watch a lot of nights.  It seems like scoring a goal for them is SO hard.  Can't imagine what it's like to watch the Sabres most nights. 

Rangers fans would be the pot calling the kettle black - look at the two teams in the 2012 ECF. The Devils were the ones aggressively pushing the play and the Rangers were playing with six goalies. But when the Rangers played that way it was "gritty defense"

#53 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

Rangers fans would be the pot calling the kettle black - look at the two teams in the 2012 ECF. The Devils were the ones aggressively pushing the play and the Rangers were playing with six goalies. But when the Rangers played that way it was "gritty defense"

Also notice not a single Rags fan has stated about the Blackhawks winning "1/2 cup" this past spring?

#54 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,006 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:37 PM

+ 1. Didn't think to mention this, but imo most real fans are excited by their team, no matter what type of game they play. If Sens fans only want to watch scoring, they're not real fans. If the Sens are winning, the fans should be happy, and butts should be in seats. They're not, so Melnyk feels the need to bash someone else.

This isn't exactly right. Winning doesn't necessarily bring fans. NJ is a perfect example to that. I'd bet that if the Devils had a dynamic offense like Washington has had from 2008 on, it would have a major increase in attendance. Goals and exciting plays help bring in casual fans to the game and probably make die hard fans want to spend more on the team they already love.

The Sens were right there. From 1998 to 2004, they were a very solid hockey team under Jacques Martin. It had no star players and the success didn't translate into massive crowds. Martin's Sens teams were as boring as Lemaire's Devils. Then he goes out. Murray comes in. They open up their style. They feature the most dynamic line in the NHL, and scalpers made a fortune selling Sens tickets on the secondary market.

Winning can make fans happy, but it doesn't mean you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a boring product. 

Edited by devilsrule33, 14 January 2014 - 11:38 PM.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#55 Namelesz

Namelesz

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:47 PM

Who's on the bike in the top right? I can't make it out in my phone...

I think its Gio...

I like that Jagr is the sniper, should be Ryder. 

#56 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

Like someone else already said, haters gonna hate. I like when someone singles us out actually, gives me a chance to point out the success of the franchise :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#57 montec24

montec24

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:26 PM

My rant against hypothetical Rangers fans aside, Devils games have been tedious to watch because the team hasn't been able to finish off plays and score goals. There's nothing boring fundamentally about what the Devils try to do in games (heavy forecheck, dictate pace of play, keep defense pinned in their own zone, stay responsible defensively) but yet the stereotypes of yesteryear remain.

#58 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 05:56 PM

PDB on the jetski makes me crack up. Whatta bafoon

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#59 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

This isn't exactly right. Winning doesn't necessarily bring fans. NJ is a perfect example to that. I'd bet that if the Devils had a dynamic offense like Washington has had from 2008 on, it would have a major increase in attendance. Goals and exciting plays help bring in casual fans to the game and probably make die hard fans want to spend more on the team they already love.

The Sens were right there. From 1998 to 2004, they were a very solid hockey team under Jacques Martin. It had no star players and the success didn't translate into massive crowds. Martin's sens teams were as boring as Lemaire's Devils. Then he goes out. Murray comes in. They open up their style. They feature the most dynamic line in the NHL, and scalpers made a fortune selling Sens tickets on the secondary market.

Winning can make fans happy, but it doesn't mean you want to spend hundreds of dollars on a boring product. 

But Devils fans get a bad rap because of attendance, while we keep hearing how great Canadian hockey fans are. IMO if the Sens need to play entertaining hockey to fill their building, their market is no better than ours, yet we take sh!t for attendance all the time. Not saying that's changing, just, like everybody else on here, sick of the double standard.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#60 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:10 PM

PDB on the jetski makes me crack up. Whatta bafoon

classic, and who's that, Travis takin a selfie on the smartphone?

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users