157 replies to this topic

#141 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 09:27 AM

There was some guy that said we needed a 4-1 victory to get on a roll, so that's tonight I guess. Our cup run starts now

That was me! I said we needed a 4-1 or 5-2 victory for me to really believe we're over the "hump" so to speak. We've been playing well but not capitalizing and last night may have started the new chapter on us starting to get what we deserve.

#142 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:13 AM

Mark Fayne 3rd star? Ok... Although, one thing I wanted to say about him. He is our best pinching defender in my opinion. Volchenkov is good at dumping too. lol, dumping.

Devils.

#143 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:33 AM

Mark Fayne 3rd star? Ok... Although, one thing I wanted to say about him. He is our best pinching defender in my opinion. Volchenkov is good at dumping too. lol, dumping.

He's learned a lot from Greene the past couple years and is starting to play a similar game, really like where he's going.

#144 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

He's learned a lot from Greene the past couple years and is starting to play a similar game, really like where he's going.

i wasnt sure on fayne for a while, but i definently feel like he is starting to get better and better the more he plays..and i agree i hope he continues to progress in the direction he has been going
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#145 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 10:57 AM

I wouldn't get too attached. He's almost certainly gone this off-season.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#146 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:01 AM

I wouldn't get too attached. He's almost certainly gone this off-season.

why would you think he wouldnt want to come back because of the staff here? or you think they will either trade him or wont offer him another contract?
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#147 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,838 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

why would you think he wouldnt want to come back because of the staff here? or you think they will either trade him or wont offer him another contract?

Well, he's an expiring contract on a crowded D core. Unless one of Salvador or Volch are moved it just doesn't make sense to resign him (especially since he'll probably be looking for Greene type money)

And if you're Fayne, would you want to resign here with PDB's rotating carousel? Unless he REALLY loves New Jersey I don't know why he'd take a lesser offer to stay here. I'd take the likely better offer and guaranteed playing time elsewhere.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 15 January 2014 - 11:10 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#148 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,251 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:36 AM

fayne is one of those guys you really wonder if the rest of the league even knows about.

i think what makes the most sense is that zidlicky and one of volchenkov (most likely) or salvador (what we all want but very unlikely) is not here next year. Fayne will also likely not be but if we're constructing next year's defense for optimum roster, it would have to be:

greene-fayne

gelinas-larsson

volchenkov-merrill

harrold

unfortunately, this is what i expect:

greene-larsson

gelinas-merrill

salvador-volchenkov

harrold

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#149 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

fayne is one of those guys you really wonder if the rest of the league even knows about.

THIS^^

Exactly what I was going to say. I certainly think Fayne (who's only 26 now) will play a big role as part of the defensive core in later years, similar to 31 year old Andy Greene's role right now.

I think his issues with DeBoer are behind him and we certainly know Lou holds him in very high regard. He's an American-born player, alumnus of Lou's almer mater, and Lou told him a couple years ago (when he was definitely not as good as he is now) to "get comfortable and buy a house", or something along those lines from what I remember.

I think Lou will give him a competitive enough offer to keep him here, versus what some GMs around the league (who know a lot less about him) will be willing to offer.

Edited by DJ Eco, 15 January 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#150 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:35 PM

I was very busy last night and only saw about 5 minutes of the end of the game. I had checked NHL.com earlier though, and could have sworn it said Canadiens 3, Devils 1. So, saw the last few minutes mostly out of the corner of my eye with the sound off, then saw Price rushing off the ice and was like, "What the hell?!?" LOL  Great beating them and avoiding the series sweep

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#151 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:19 PM

I had to listen in on my I phone (tunein radio) and watch game center. the radio was behind by almost a full minute and a half. was confused when game center showed 3-2 then 3-1. but got the reason a minute later.  also surprised that they didn't call clowe for falling over price

its nice that the breaks are starting to come our way. keep the ball rolling

#152 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:28 PM

I had to listen in on my I phone (tunein radio) and watch game center. the radio was behind by almost a full minute and a half. was confused when game center showed 3-2 then 3-1. but got the reason a minute later.  also surprised that they didn't call clowe for falling over price

its nice that the breaks are starting to come our way. keep the ball rolling

I've reached the point that, if the Devils get into the playoffs, I'll feel like they'll be playing with house money from that point on.  Not having their first-rounder will be a lot less painful then.  Might also get Schneider wrapped up earlier.  And a taste of the playoffs for the young ones. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#153 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

When Elias and Brunner return we may have some more balanced line combinations

Hopefully we can get some goals from players other than the usual suspects

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#154 dmann422

dmann422

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

I've reached the point that, if the Devils get into the playoffs, I'll feel like they'll be playing with house money from that point on. Not having their first-rounder will be a lot less painful then. Might also get Schneider wrapped up earlier. And a taste of the playoffs for the young ones.

if we make the playoffs I'm honestly not scared of any eastern team other than Boston. Any other eastern team I'll take our chances against. Not saying we'll win but I think we have a decent shot against any of them.

#155 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,262 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 03:27 PM

if we make the playoffs I'm honestly not scared of any eastern team other than Boston. Any other eastern team I'll take our chances against. Not saying we'll win but I think we have a decent shot against any of them.

There's definitely a little bit of a dark horse feeling with the Devils.  Lots of "if"s, in that if (there's that word again) all of the "if"s come together (like Cory getting into a consistent .930-.940 groove, a guy like Zajac suddenly popping a few in out of nowhere), you could see this team winning a playoff round, maybe even two.  But they have to actually get there first, hope no one gets hurt, hope Elias is back and healthy, hope Jagr isn't spent, etc...

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#156 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 04:24 PM

I would like to see what they could do in the playoffs. The Devils have some tools for grinding playoff hockey.... Good goaltending, strong defense, the ability to wear down another team. They just need that timely scoring and some damn consistency.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 15 January 2014 - 04:24 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#157 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,713 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:09 PM

well jesus christ Schneider is starting next game.... wow..... Deboer is turning a corner there 

www.SterioDesign.com

#158 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 05:37 PM

8-3-4 in their last 15...that's a .667 point%.  They've done it kind of quietly (I think the fact that most of their games are such dogfights is part of the reason for that...10 of the 15 games have been either one-goal or shootout phantom one-goal games), so it's not like they've been beastly from a goal differential standpoint (and they don't really win pretty), and of course, there's two shootout losses, which continues to be a sore spot.  But I'll happily take .667 over a 15-game period any day.  And as I'm finding, a lot of individual numbers are a lot better than we would've thought. 

Some numbers over the 15 games:

8-3-4 record, 37 GF, 31 GA (33 if phantom shootout goals are added in).  5-1-4 in one-goal games

6-3 record in regulation

2-2 in OT

0-2 in the shootout

Schneider:  3-2-2, 195 SF, 181 SA, .928 save%

Brodeur:  5-1-2, 212 SF, 195 SA, .920 save% 

(There's been some duds here and there for both goalies, but they've actually been better lately overall than we've given them credit for.  They've combined for a .924 save% over these 15 games.) 

Ryder:  7 G, 4 A, 11 Pts, +3

Clowe:  (10 games)  1 G, 7 A, 8 Pts, +1

Henrique:  6 G, 6 A, 12 Pts, +6

Jagr:  3 G, 9 A, 12 Pts, +6

Zidlicky:  5 G, 6 A, 11 Pts, +8

Gelinas:  (13 games)  2 G, 4 A, 6 Pts, +1

Greene:  3 G, 5 A, 8 Pts, +3

Zubrus:  4 G, 2 A, 6 Pts, -1

Not jauggernaut stuff, and of course the above numbers don't tell the whole story, but they've been playing better than what they were for the balance of the 33 games that came before this, and the last 7 games of this stretch have been played without Elias.  They've been getting some goals from a number of sources.  There's reasons for optimism...I still wonder if this team can pull away from NHL .500, but the last 15 games at least hint at them being able to do that. 

20-14-7 in our last 41.  94 point pace over a full 82.

well jesus christ Schneider is starting next game.... wow..... Deboer is turning a corner there 

Where did you read that?  I hope he rides Schneider for a while.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users