38 replies to this topic

#21 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,482 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:41 PM

lol yeah I'm sure you could bump a lot of posts from 2 months ago with very different feelings on Brunner... Funny how that works around here.

That's because of the advanced official NJDevs Player Classification System: 1.Good    2.Sucks      3.Unnoticed

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#22 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 05:45 PM

You're basically right that they're useless on the cycle, so when they played together they looked awful.

Split apart, so they're both the offensive finisher on their line, they look better because the line their on is more well rounded.

True, but I think Ryder seems to be doing a bit better with that lately. Maybe that's just my eyes lying to me or it's his linemates.

#23 dmon2010

dmon2010

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Nice first game back!  1g, 2a and 1st star of the game...  Hopefully he keeps up production.

#24 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,665 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

To be fair, Brunner WAS awful for a long time. He started turning it around shortly after Pete scratched him against the Wings.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#25 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

To be fair, Brunner WAS awful for a long time. He started turning it around shortly after Pete scratched him against the Wings.

He was still shooting a ton, but yeah, he wasn't the same player. If NJ wants to make the playoffs, they need him to be at ~.6 ppg pace

#26 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Kind of weird how his early NHL career has gone...16 points in his first 19 games, then 18 points in his next 52 games (and was bad enough with the Devils to get benched and publicly called out by PDB), now 8 points in his last 6.  It's not terribly uncommon for players to go hot and cold, but it's amazing how extreme his extremes have been. 

Funny thing is, if you didn't know anything about him, you'd see his 21 goals and 21 assists in 77 NHL games and think, "That's pretty good offense."  And it is.  Just kind of funny how he got his numbers. 

Oh well, hope he finds some consistency. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#27 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,492 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Kind of weird how his early NHL career has gone...16 points in his first 19 games, then 18 points in his next 52 games (and was bad enough with the Devils to get benched and publicly called out by PDB), now 8 points in his last 6.  It's not terribly uncommon for players to go hot and cold, but it's amazing how extreme his extremes have been. 

Funny thing is, if you didn't know anything about him, you'd see his 21 goals and 21 assists in 77 NHL games and think, "That's pretty good offense."  And it is.  Just kind of funny how he got his numbers. 

Oh well, hope he finds some consistency. 

He also got hot during the playoffs and led the Wings in goal scoring.

Brunner was atrocious for 20 games or so here. No other way to put it. He was getting shots, but they were all really crappy shots. He did not look comfortable doing anything even when he had time and space. It was like when the NBA stars lost their basketball skills in Space Jam. 

There are a lot of things that fans don't think of when evaluating a player. Brunner is a little fragile. He talked about having no confidence at all and being lost in the system. This stuff happens and is often overlooked. Glad he seems to have gotten his mojo back.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#28 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 01:29 PM

When I read the space jam comment I 100percent started cracking up irl.

#29 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:36 PM

i agree brunner has been like a little funky he started pretty hot then turned into a completely useless pile of dog crap... and then he was on fire and he comes back from injury and seems to be exactly where he left off..smokin' ..i hope he can ride this hot streak out now and stay decent for us
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#30 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 02:50 PM

i agree brunner has been like a little funky he started pretty hot then turned into a completely useless pile of dog crap... and then he was on fire and he comes back from injury and seems to be exactly where he left off..smokin' ..i hope he can ride this hot streak out now and stay decent for us

The inconsistency could be something as simple as a relatively new NHLer trying to figure out the game after playing in the Swiss leagues for several years.  At least he seems to be fighting his way through it now...almost sounded like he was beaten there for a while.   

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#31 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

Brunner has and always will be streaky.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#32 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

this comment... you dont know that, he came to a new team with a new style all new players once everyone started clicking in maybe he just wasnt finding his place..he seems to have found that place now i think and im hopeful that he will be alright from here on out
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#33 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

If they can figure out a way to balance Brunner and Ryder's inconsistencies with each other, might not be a bad formula.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#34 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

this comment... you dont know that, he came to a new team with a new style all new players once everyone started clicking in maybe he just wasnt finding his place..he seems to have found that place now i think and im hopeful that he will be alright from here on out

I do know this actually.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#35 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

I do know this actually.

oh right i forgot your fvckin' mike brown another one of the njdevs official know it all's
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

#36 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,475 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:13 PM

Based on what?  His NHL career is 77 games old.  That's not a large enough sample to make any declarations. 

Even if he was streaky in the Swiss leagues (I have no idea, I haven't looked for any Brunner Swiss League game logs, and I'm guessing you probably haven't found any either), I don't think that has any bearing on what kind of a player Brunner will be in the NHL. 

#30 FOREVER!

#37 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:15 PM

Good to see him bounce right back where he left off, hopefully playing with Patty makes him more consistent and reliable

Edited by Zubie#8, 22 January 2014 - 03:27 PM.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#38 Sneax

Sneax

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

Brunner status : Str8 Baller

#39 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts

Posted 23 January 2014 - 12:53 PM

this guy was the receiver of the new green jacket tradition from last game.. to no surprise i guess
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users