215 replies to this topic

#161 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:59 PM

Like they do every other fvcking drill in practice, by just doing it on their own goalies. Do it until every skater has scored at least once.

Stop taking the damn apologist route every friggin time.

Wow that's weird.  Unless we're shooting at our own goalies during the actual in game shootout, I fail to see how this helps.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#162 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

He could've stopped a few in the shootout as well. But I feel horrible dumping on him for a skills competition after his brilliant play in regulation

Me too but let's not sugar coat this. Just on the shootouts and only shootouts Corey has been ass.

#163 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:00 AM

I'd seriously like to know how you can practice the shootout.

You can't really "practice". What you can do is separate the players with the "hands" or those who have a skill at it and go with that. Perhaps the video guys can make SO videos of the goaltender they are facing that night and see if they can find tendencies or weaknesses and just play the percentages. That's all you can really do. It's a pure skill, it's not something learned and some players, even HOF players, don't have it. 

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#164 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,180 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:01 AM

Devils have scored 37 goals for Schneider in his 23 starts (1.60 goals per game). Shooting at a 6.28% clip for him. Devils have scored 1 goal or less in 10 of his starts (43.47%). I feel for this guy.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#165 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

It couldn't hurt, that's for damn sure.

It does if you're practicing something that you don't think helps you as much as practicing something else would.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#166 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,662 posts

You can't really "practice". What you can do is separate the players with the "hands" or those who have a skill at it and go with that. Perhaps the video guys can make SO videos of the goaltender they are facing that night and see if they can find tendencies or weaknesses and just play the percentages. That's all you can really do. It's a pure skill, it's not something learned and some players, even HOF players, don't have it.

That's too much work for this coaching staff apparently as well.

#167 volchenkov28

volchenkov28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

they seriously need to practice the shootout for sure its embarrassing and for all of us here and not on here knowing they will lose once they enter the shootout.

#168 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:02 AM

Simple- spend 20 minutes at the end of practice practicing the shootout. 'Practicing the shootout' is pretty self-explanatory. Its fvcking break-away practice. All it is. It couldn't hurt, that's for damn sure.

I guess, but they're still shooting on their own goalies.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

#169 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,662 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:04 AM

It does if you're practicing something that you don't think helps you as much as practicing something else would.

At worst it's good cardio like every other practice and nothing else is as glaring as this.

I guess, but they're still shooting on their own goalies.

It's better than what they are doing now which is nothing. 0-11 it's time to start doing things differently.

#170 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Wow that's weird. Unless we're shooting at our own goalies during the actual in game shootout, I fail to see how this helps.

We did break-away drills in practice all the time when I played in high school. Teams at all levels practice one-on-the-goalie's all the time, and have since the beginning of time, long before the shootout even existed. So yeah. I disagree wholeheartedly. It can help a lot, certainly with confidence if nothing else.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#171 thecoffeecake

thecoffeecake

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Simple- spend 20 minutes at the end of practice practicing the shootout. 'Practicing the shootout' is pretty self-explanatory. Its fvcking break-away practice. All it is. It couldn't hurt, that's for damn sure.

What the hell good is it gonna do to practice the shootout on Cory? He'll make fayne look like dangleberry.

Just call me RingDings: Mike Brown's dirty bottom bitch.

#172 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:06 AM

Devils have scored 37 goals for Schneider in his 23 starts (1.60 goals per game). Shooting at a 6.28% clip for him. Devils have scored 1 goal or less in 10 of his starts (43.47%). I feel for this guy.

That's what I'm saying. Sure he isn't very good in shootouts. But overall he has played great and has almost nothing to show for it because the team doesn't score goals for him.

Edited by 95Crash, 17 January 2014 - 12:07 AM.

#173 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

What the hell good is it gonna do to practice the shootout on Cory? He'll make fayne look like dangleberry.

Then they can practice on Marty. But it couldn't hurt to spend a little time at the end of practice working on it.

#174 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Thanks. Christ almighty. Freaking awful

#175 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:08 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Chico said they did do some practice for the shootout during one of the recent practices

#176 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Chico said they did do some practice for the shootout during one of the recent practices

At least the last 2, may have been more.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#177 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:10 AM

Yeah Pete actually just said the practiced it yesterday. Well, it didn't help I guess lol. But they should keep practicing it anyway. When you suck at something as bad as the Devils do at the shootout and its costing you points in the standings, you keep working on it.

#178 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:13 AM

Bizarre seeing folks criticizing cory for shoot out woes. Are you watching the games? Offense can't score.

#179 TheRedStorm

TheRedStorm

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:14 AM

It's to find players who have hands and any skill whatsoever at this. That means guys who don't miss the net, can't shoot high, can't deke in close...things like that. Who knows? Maybe a guy like Zidlicky steps up or someone you wouldn't expect. But, at this stage it's inexcusable for Pete not to try something outside the box. What's he got to lose? Another loss with no goals scored? Maybe one question from TG as to why he put Zidlicky or Carter or whomever out there as a 1-3?  

The Devil wears Prada....and has the luggage to match :-)

#180 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,518 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 12:15 AM

Phoenix is a hot mess right now.  So we should be able to beat them.

temp_zps55e0012a.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users