196 replies to this topic

#141 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:37 AM

Things may get worse before they get better though. 2 with the Blues? Rangers outdoor game? They may be back under .500 very quickly.

Devils have shown they can hang with most teams, regardless of where their opponents are in the standings.  It's going to come down to how often Schneider plays and how well he plays.  I think the Devils are what they are offensively (inconsistent and just not great at converting or generating scoring opportunities). 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#142 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:40 AM

It really is the only thing that's different between the 2011/2012 team and this year's. 

Not really...that team was twenty games above .500.  Only half of that was due to the shootout, they were still a legitimate ten over and capable of winning streaks.  They're barely a ++++ hair above NHL .500 without the shootout now and have had one three-game winning streak inside a year.  Plus that team scored 216 goals.  This team has barely half that in 50 games, putting them on pace for about 189 over a full season.

#143 NJDevs26

NJDevs26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,334 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:43 AM

But look at the remaining schedule.  It's fairly light.  Outside of St. Louis, Boston, and maybe Colorado, all the games left are teams that the Devils can easily handle.

No team is an easy win for us.  We've had maybe one easy game all year - bombing an ECHL-caliber goalie against Nashville.  That's not concudive to going on long winning streaks, of which we'll need at least one to solidify a playoff spot.

#144 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:57 AM

2011-12 team was pretty shaky through 25 games.  They were pretty solid after that.  Marty also picked it up in the second half. 

That team had guys who could put pucks in the net, either through skill (Kovy and Parise) or lots of puck luck (Clarkson). Right now I don't see that one forward who can be counted on to carry the scoring load, and it seems like whenever one or two forwards get it going, the other ones go cold. 

They're going to have to find a way to score 2-3 goals per game by committee (at least now they get some goals from their defenseman), and hope they can steal some points from the games where they only score one goal...I just don't see this team improving a whole lot offensively.  On that front, I think they're going to have to work with what they've got.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 January 2014 - 07:57 AM.

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#145 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

You get a team that would be well over .500 if it could win half their shootouts?  Some of you deserve  being Edmonton fans so bad.

Maybe these games wouldn't have to go into the SO if they weren't so inept offensively in regulation/OT? He's not 100% inaccurate.

#146 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

You get a team that would be well over .500 if it could win half their shootouts? Some of you deserve being Edmonton fans so bad.

But we are not winning these shootouts and we are simply chasing after a loser point once we get into the 3rd period. This isn't just a poor hockey team it is a boring hockey team. Third time in four years by the way we aren't any good. But I'm sure you will come up with some ridiculous CORSI stat that makes you feel all better about things.

I know it's hard for you to deal in reality and absolutes when you garble on fifty times a day with whatever nonsensical saber stats you try to use to make you sound like you are some sort of expert or that you are entitled to some special fan status.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#147 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:07 AM

Devils have shown they can hang with most teams, regardless of where their opponents are in the standings. It's going to come down to how often Schneider plays and how well he plays. I think the Devils are what they are offensively (inconsistent and just not great at converting or generating scoring opportunities).

This is the NHL. Pretty much every team can "hang" in there with others.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#148 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:20 AM

This is the NHL. Pretty much every team can "hang" in there with others.

Their goal differential is pretty good for their record.  Eliminate the phantom shootout goals, and they're even in GF-GA.  They're not really a bad team getting lucky wins (when they do win).   

Factoring in their shootout follies, I think there's a chance they Devils could go 17-8-7 in their last 32 GP...IF Cory can have a couple of terrific months.  Anything less than that from Cory, no way that happens. 

#30 FOREVER!

#149 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:40 AM

did not see much of this game . I was bashing clowe so he goes out and nets one and assists another, lol.  first goal merrill fell, AGAIN, and slid past the play. pretty bad

O point game, need to shrug it off and win a few of these next games

#150 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:41 AM

Not really...that team was twenty games above .500.  Only half of that was due to the shootout, they were still a legitimate ten over and capable of winning streaks.  They're barely a ++++ hair above NHL .500 without the shootout now and have had one three-game winning streak inside a year.  Plus that team scored 216 goals.  This team has barely half that in 50 games, putting them on pace for about 189 over a full season.

Dear lord. This team is just as capable of putting together winning streaks. Give them 6-2 in the SO rather than 0-8 and there you have your winning streaks. That 2011/2012 team had the fourth best record in the East. Guess where this team would be if they had that team's SO average? 4th in the East. 

These two teams aren't very different, period.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#151 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

Their goal differential is pretty good for their record. Eliminate the phantom shootout goals, and they're even in GF-GA. They're not really a bad team getting lucky wins (when they do win).

Factoring in their shootout follies, I think there's a chance they Devils could go 17-8-7 in their last 32 GP...IF Cory can have a couple of terrific months. Anything less than that from Cory, no way that happens.

Of course there is a chance. There is an equal chance they finish terribly. Their goal differential is not a big deal. This team has to live and die by playing close games. It's one of the only things Deboer has designed properly in fixing the defensive system which was so horrid at times last year. He knows this team can't play open or overly aggressive.

Dear lord. This team is just as capable of putting together winning streaks. Give them 6-2 in the SO rather than 0-8 and there you have your winning streaks. That 2011/2012 team had the fourth best record in the East. Guess where this team would be if they had that team's SO average? 4th in the East.

You can't compare the two for Christies steaks! Two different teams in two different seasons facing completely different variables.

#152 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:48 AM

did not see much of this game . I was bashing clowe so he goes out and nets one and assists another, lol. first goal merrill fell, AGAIN, and slid past the play. pretty bad

O point game, need to shrug it off and win a few of these next games

Merrill has looked flat awful lately. Him and Salvador by far the weakest links.

I still hate the Clowe deal and Lou should be held to account for it but it is what it is that point and we need him to do something. His skating is not as bad as I though it was. He's still pretty slow but he's got more puck handling ability and skill than I thought.

#153 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

Of course there is a chance. There is an equal chance they finish terribly. Their goal differential is not a big deal. This team has to live and die by playing close games. It's one of the only things Deboer has designed properly in fixing the defensive system which was so horrid at times last year. He knows this team can't play open or overly aggressive.

I know you're in full-on negative mode, but I don't think there's that great a chance of them "finishing terribly" (by that I'm assuming you mean a collapse).  I think at worst, they continue to play around the pace they've played at for the season (admittedly, that won't get them into the playoffs).  The only way I think they could possibly finish terribly is if the goaltending just completely falls apart.  Schneider is not going to do that.   

#30 FOREVER!

#154 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

I know you're in full-on negative mode, but I don't think there's that great a chance of them "finishing terribly" (by that I'm assuming you mean a collapse). I think at worst, they continue to play around the pace they've played at for the season (admittedly, that won't get them into the playoffs). The only way I think they could possibly finish terribly is if the goaltending just completely falls apart. Schneider is not going to do that.

They are not going to finish with the record you posted either. I'd bet you a significant sum of money on that. If Jagr falls off and Brunner doesn't come back with some vengeance, this team won't score enough, period.

If I am negative it's probably a forceful reaction to some of the delusion I keep seeing from people on what this team is and the situation it's found itself in from a management perspective.

#155 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,261 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:20 AM

They are not going to finish with the record you posted either. I'd bet you a significant sum of money on that. If Jagr falls off and Brunner doesn't come back with some vengeance, this team won't score enough, period.

If I am negative it's probably a forceful reaction to some of the delusion I keep seeing from people on what this team is and the situation it's found itself in from a management perspective.

Pretty big difference between them finishing with a 17-8-7 record over their last 32 GP and completely falling to pieces.  If the Devils go 15-11-6 or thereabouts, that's not really sucking.  

I think they'll win at a better pace than they have on the season (for previously stated reasons...somewhat easier schedule, more home games, etc.).  Unfortunately, it has to be a lot better.  15-11-6 or so won't be good enough, more than likely.  I think they've got to get to 92+ points. 

#30 FOREVER!

#156 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

This team just upsets me. It's so frustrating to watch most nights. Brunner gets back, Boucher goes down. I want to see more speed somewhere. I don't care how they get it. We're dying for speed.

#157 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,052 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:50 AM

They've had one winning streak above two games in the last year plus...one.  And that was a three-game winning streak.  The '11-12 Devils had three 4/5-game non-shootout winning streaks in the second half of the season.  This team certainly hasn't proven capable of jack in terms of putting together a winning streak, especially with the shootout follies.

If you believe the bolded I have a bridge to sell you.  They're vastly different.  Only stronger goaltending the last month (ex. last night) has kept them afloat result-wise.  That team made acquisitions and trended upward during the season, this team's in hibernation when it comes to making moves and barely treading water.

I'm tired of hearing about the shootout being the cause of this team's ills...that's a copout.  Would it make things easier sure, but you're holding them to a high standard comparing them to a team that went 12-4 in the shootout. You can't expect 12-4 any more than you can expect 0-8.  And part of not being good in the shootout this year IS the overall lack of creativity and talent on offense.

Plus aside from all that, they're even in goal difference without the shootout and 20-22-8 in actual hockey results, including 6-3 in OT, meaning they're 14-19 in games that don't even get to OT or the shootout.  They are what they are at this point, an average team and that's not going to cut it when you need 90+ points to make the playoffs.  

Edited by NJDevs4978, 19 January 2014 - 10:09 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#158 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

If you believe the bolded I have a bridge to sell you.  They're vastly different.  Only stronger goaltending the last month (ex. last night) has kept them afloat result-wise.  That team made acquisitions and trended upward during the season, this team's in hibernation when it comes to making moves and barely treading water.

I'm tired of hearing about the shootout being the cause of this team's ills...that's a copout.  Would it make things easier sure, but you're holding them to a high standard comparing them to a team that went 12-4 in the shootout. You can't expect 12-4 any more than you can expect 0-8.  And part of not being good in the shootout this year IS the overall lack of creativity and talent on offense.

And scoring + SO held that 2011/2012 team afloat, unless you want to sell me Marty's .908 and Hedberg's .918 SV% as their key to success. Both teams have their flaws.

As for the copout....I'm not holding them to a high standard, because people overrate that 2012 team and they overrate what it takes to make the playoffs. And we know that if you get in anything can happen because it's a crapshoot. 

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#159 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

Pretty big difference between them finishing with a 17-8-7 record over their last 32 GP and completely falling to pieces.  If the Devils go 15-11-6 or thereabouts, that's not really sucking.  

I think they'll win at a better pace than they have on the season (for previously stated reasons...somewhat easier schedule, more home games, etc.).  Unfortunately, it has to be a lot better.  15-11-6 or so won't be good enough, more than likely.  I think they've got to get to 92+ points. 

I don't even think they're going to be capable of doing that.  Nothing I've seen from them from a consistency or continuity standpoint, and there's also nothing from a statistical perspective that lends credence to that happening.  We are a team with serious problems offensively with age in several forward spots and depth that has fallen off considerably.  

If we are out of it and Lou does not sell to retool, it will be yet another failure/missed opportunity on his part.  Zidlicky and Jagr did a nice job this year, but they aren't a part of any future.  One of the theories I have is that Lou pretty much recognizes this is not a good team and is merely transitioning over the next year.  Personally I don't want him to have the opportunity to do it, but that's what I'm working off of.  I mean he's done absolutely nothing in terms of holding anybody to account.

#160 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

But we are not winning these shootouts and we are simply chasing after a loser point once we get into the 3rd period. This isn't just a poor hockey team it is a boring hockey team. Third time in four years by the way we aren't any good. But I'm sure you will come up with some ridiculous CORSI stat that makes you feel all better about things.

I know it's hard for you to deal in reality and absolutes when you garble on fifty times a day with whatever nonsensical saber stats you try to use to make you sound like you are some sort of expert or that you are entitled to some special fan status.

lol yes, that ridiculous CORSI stat.  The Devils aren't scoring enough GOALS and Brodeur isn't making enough SAVES.

I didn't know a poor hockey team has an even goal differential, and that's with Brodeur doing his usual Brodeur thing.  And yes, CORSI is SOOO hard to understand - it's nonsense!

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users