49 replies to this topic

#21 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:43 PM

Schneider going on a tear won't help us win any more games. He's been playing pretty well and getting very little goal support still.

It's about offense, health, and the quality of play and puck movement out of the defense into the neutral zone.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

"I'm Going With The Devils over Anaheim"-Barry Melrose

#22 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:52 PM

Schneider going on a tear won't help us win any more games. He's been playing pretty well and getting very little goal support still.

It's about offense, health, and the quality of play and puck movement out of the defense into the neutral zone.

How will a goaltender playing better not win us any more games?

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#23 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

[quote name="Jas0nMacIsaac" post="1239912" timestamp="1390171925"]How will a goaltender playing better not win us any more games?[/

I mean considering how bad this team is at scoring goals, not to mention how awful this team is on shoot outs, we need almost elite goaltending at this point. That, of course is what we signed up for when we traded for Schneider, so he basically has to be the man going forward, and even that may not be enough.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#24 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:30 PM

I can see 18 or 19 wins in that schedule

#25 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

[quote name="Jas0nMacIsaac" post="1239912" timestamp="1390171925"]

How will a goaltender playing better not win us any more games?[/

Come on. I was challenging the idea that Schnieder is going to be the key to getting more wins. He's not going to play much better than what he's been doing. If his goal support was up a bit that becomes a whole different narrative.
Bill Simmons: "The Bruins are like Fredo -- they're dead to me as long as the owner is alive."

#26 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:41 PM

[quote name="Jas0nMacIsaac" post="1239912" timestamp="1390171925"]

How will a goaltender playing better not win us any more games?[/

Come on. I was challenging the idea that Schnieder is going to be the key to getting more wins. He's not going to play much better than what he's been doing. If his goal support was up a bit that becomes a whole different narrative.

His goal support will go up, do you believe the team will continue to shoot 6% with him in nets? If he got the Brodeur 3 goal support his record would be 14 - 1 - 8...that is asssuming he loses every SO game. If he wins half the SO games his record is now 18 - 1 - 4

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#27 KovalClutch

KovalClutch

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Let's Go Devils.

#28 coldply123

coldply123

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:09 PM

His goal support will go up, do you believe the team will continue to shoot 6% with him in nets? If he got the Brodeur 3 goal support his record would be 14 - 1 - 8...that is asssuming he loses every SO game. If he wins half the SO games his record is now 18 - 1 - 4

Yes I believe we are that bad offensively and our coaching isn't helping. We play a completely different style wih schneider in net and the transition game out of our own zone looks putrid when he's in goal. How much of this is coaching and the defensive carousel I wouldn't know but it's not as simple as just shooting more.

#29 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,694 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:18 PM

Yes I believe we are that bad offensively and our coaching isn't helping. We play a completely different style wih schneider in net and the transition game out of our own zone looks putrid when he's in goal. How much of this is coaching and the defensive carousel I wouldn't know but it's not as simple as just shooting more.

Coaching is not the problem. How good do you think most teams would be if Jagr were their number 1 offensive threat? He was a supporting player on Dallas, and they didn't do so well last year.

If I took Kane and say Hossa away from Chicago, they would not be that great. That's what DeBoer has had to deal with, and the team hasn't disintegrated. That's the sign of good coaching.

He does some baffling things, and I wish he wouldn't ride Marty as much as he does, but we are very lucky to have him.

Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#30 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 07:55 PM

I can see 18 or 19 wins in that schedule

Amen brotha!

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#31 cgb6397

cgb6397

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:21 PM

Wow the season has flown by, this most back to backs in the league schedule has really sucked. I feel like I've hardly gotten to see any games

6qf7l3.jpg
"You know my boss, (Lou Lamoriello), we don't throw parades for second place"
-Pete Deboer on the Devils 5th Stanley Cup Final appearence

#32 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,335 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:49 AM

ive watched almost every game but can't believe how much of the season has gone by already .. going to be sad when theres no devils hockey to watch
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#33 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,431 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:36 AM

We definitely have the easiest schedule out of teams like Philly, Washington, maybe the Rangers. None of those games are locks though. Devils can beat the Penguins and the Rangers 3 times in a row but then lose to Edmonton. That's been the reality of the 2013-2014 season.

#34 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,320 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Wow the season has flown by, this most back to backs in the league schedule has really sucked. I feel like I've hardly gotten to see any games

ive watched almost every game but can't believe how much of the season has gone by already .. going to be sad when theres no devils hockey to watch

it gets worse every year as you get older!!! LOL  TIME STARTS FLYING!

#35 Mike Brown

Mike Brown

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm gonna predict the number of points we're gonna get from each team in the remaining games.  Here goes......

Boston: 1

Buffalo: 2

Carolina: 3

Columbus: 2

Calgary: 2

Colorado: 0

Dallas: 2

Detroit: 3

Edmonton: 2

Panthers: 4

Wild: 2

Predators: 2

Islanders: 4

Rangers: 2

Senators: 2

Flyers: 1

Coyotes: 2

Sharks: 1

Blues: 0

Maple Leafs: 2

Capitals: 4

TOTAL: 43

GRAND TOTAL: 94 overall

temp_zps55e0012a.png

NEW JERSEY DEVILS: 3 TIME STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!

NEW YORK YANKEES: 27 TIME WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: 5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!

#36 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,185 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

http://www.sportsclu.../NewJersey.html

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#37 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:25 AM

I'm gonna predict the number of points we're gonna get from each team in the remaining games.  Here goes......

TOTAL: 43

GRAND TOTAL: 94 overall

11 games over NHL .500 over their last 32 GP?  Basically 20-9-3, 19-8-5, or 18-7-7?  Hell, I think 17-8-7 is probably too optimistic (92 points), and I think that's possible only if damned near every last thing breaks right.  A while ago I thought they'd finish with 82-86.  I think they still finish in the upper part of that range. 

I thinking the best they'll probably do is 6 over NHL .500 (17-11-4,16-10-6, or 15-9-8)...that would give them 89 points, which according to the link above would give them a little better than a 50-50 chance of getting in.  The absolute most I can hope for with this team is 92 points, and that seems like a real longshot.   

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#38 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

The Devils are the team that defies the odds. Remember when we were like "sh!t the Devil have lost 6 shootouts in a row? that's bound to change...this can't continue"

12 and counting

So yes. We will continue to shoot 6% with him in nets. Or worse

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#39 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 866 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

Coaching is not the problem. How good do you think most teams would be if Jagr were their number 1 offensive threat? He was a supporting player on Dallas, and they didn't do so well last year.

If I took Kane and say Hossa away from Chicago, they would not be that great. That's what DeBoer has had to deal with, and the team hasn't disintegrated. That's the sign of good coaching.

He does some baffling things, and I wish he wouldn't ride Marty as much as he does, but we are very lucky to have him.

Chicago without Kane and Hossa it's still a lot better than us.
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#40 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:38 PM

Short-term trend extrapolation: 9 points in past 7 games = 41 points in remaining games and probably in the the playoffs
Slightly longer short-term extrapolation: 11 pts in past 10 games = 35 pts in remaining games and probably out
Long-term trend extrapolation: 48 pts in last 43 games (since the season-opening 7 losses) = 36 pts which is still probably not enough
So in end, the team has to play better than it has (we all knew that). But what do not know and cannot control is by how much. If only somebody could run several million simulations of the remainder of the season...

http://www.sportsclu.../NewJersey.html

Oh Hello!
Interesting data in there. They came up with a 48.7% chance for the Devils to make it. Most of that (35.2 percentage points) comes from NJ finishing in the 89-95 pt range. Below that is unlikely to make the playoffs, and above is unlikely for the team to achieve. So that objective analysis seems to be rosier than fan opinion, which isn't too surprising.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users