49 replies to this topic

#41 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

This place seems to be coming up with a probability that more closely resembles fan opinion here (29% to make the playoffs).  At least both seem to be predicting that we stay in the mix right up to the end, so we should have an interesting remainder to the season.

Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#42 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:30 AM

This place seems to be coming up with a probability that more closely resembles fan opinion here (29% to make the playoffs).  At least both seem to be predicting that we stay in the mix right up to the end, so we should have an interesting remainder to the season.

Seems fair, in that to make it, the Devils are going to have to play markedly better than they have in the 50 games so far. 

Good news is they have some things going for them (Cory likely to start more, lots of home games, some tough opponents out of the way)...but we still have to see if they're capable of doing anything with any of that. 

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#43 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:42 AM

Seems fair, in that to make it, the Devils are going to have to play markedly better than they have in the 50 games so far. 

Good news is they have some things going for them (Cory likely to start more, lots of home games, some tough opponents out of the way)...but we still have to see if they're capable of doing anything with any of that. 

one other thing is the overall weakness of the division, lets face it, we may not be a strong team, but who is???

#44 DJ Eco

DJ Eco

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

one other thing is the overall weakness of the division, lets face it, we may not be a strong team, but who is???

I can't believe how long we've been 1 or 2 points out of a playoff spot. It's pretty unbelievable.

#45 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

I can't believe how long we've been 1 or 2 points out of a playoff spot. It's pretty unbelievable.

the problem is if they dont get some points in these next three games we are going to start falling farther and farther away now.. we need to go on a little tear and start actually winning a few games in a row.. i dont think tonight will be a 2 point night against the blues either

Edited by 2ELIAS6, 21 January 2014 - 11:03 AM.

believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#46 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:04 AM

It is...but it's also a bit of fool's gold.  Lots of team bunched right round where the Devils are.  The four teams above them have a game in hand, and the team just below them has two. 

Chances are one or two of those teams are going to get hot...hovering around NHL .500 is only going keep the Devils involved for so long.  A five or six-game winning streak would work wonders...if the Devils could somehow pull that off, they could probably play slightly better than NHL .500ish hockey (basically what they've done to this point) and still get in. 

[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#47 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:15 AM

This team is not good enough to make the playoffs.  Very lacking in offensive ability and streaky in that facet, anyway.

Plus we continually play the wrong goaltender.  I have been watching Martin Brodeur for 20 years now and  it kills me to see him playing in this state.  Not how I want to remember him.  And not how he should want to be remembered.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#48 2ELIAS6

2ELIAS6

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,871 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:20 AM

This team is not good enough to make the playoffs.  Very lacking in offensive ability and streaky in that facet, anyway.

Plus we continually play the wrong goaltender.  I have been watching Martin Brodeur for 20 years now and  it kills me to see him playing in this state.  Not how I want to remember him.  And not how he should want to be remembered.

i kind of agree...even if the team does make the playoffs with their current level of play they arent making it past the first round.. we need an addition from somewhere and i dont see us getting it
believe-devs.jpg1dun.jpg

*authentic Martin Brodeur autographed goalie stick with COA for sale pm me if interested*

#49 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:40 AM

Well, there are two points that not even the most optimistic of us had chalked up into projections.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#50 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,755 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:47 AM

Schneider has now played in 6 out of the last 9 games.  If PDB doesn't overreact if Cory dares to have a couple of meh starts, that kind of ratio probably continues.  I'm guess Cory will get Friday's start against the Caps, and Tuesday's and next Thursday's starts against the Blues and Stars.  Marty is a lock to start against the Rangers, and probably get next Friday's start against the Predators.  That leaves three games before the Olympic break:  2/3 vs. Col, 2/7 vs. Edm, and 2/8 @ Wash.  I'm guessing Marty gets the one against the Oilers.  So if all of this comes to fruition, then Cory will have started 11 out of 17 games, and will be getting the more difficult opponents (for whatever that's worth).  Under the circumstances, I think that's fair.   

After the break, I guess we'll see.  A lot of back-to-backs coming...SEVEN of them. 

Well, there are two points that not even the most optimistic of us had chalked up into projections.

I don't bother with projections myself...just the number of points needed.  The Devils will beat teams like the Blues, but lose to teams like the Sabres, without much rhyme or reason (but possibly due to factors like fatigue, etc). 

So the way I see it, the Devils need about 92 points to assure themselves of a playoff spot (could be wrong, but that's the number I'm going with).  So now they need 39 in their final 31 games.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 22 January 2014 - 07:48 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users